2019-20 Season

Just so I am clear,  this is the overweight guy, right?  The one who needs to lose 11 pounds if he wants a chance to play?  The one who has only been doing weight loss training as opposed to strength training?  If so, SLU ‘s trainers deserve bonuses and raises....

All of this coming from a guy who has watched Travis Tadysak (sp?), Greg Hardin...over the years

dennis_w and AGB91 like this

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Just so I am clear,  this is the overweight guy, right?  The one who needs to lose 11 pounds if he wants a chance to play?  The one who has only been doing weight loss training as opposed to strength training?  If so, SLU ‘s trainers deserve bonuses and raises....

All of this coming from a guy who has watched Travis Tadysak (sp?), Greg Hardin...over the years

Made me laugh with the Travis Tadysak comment, I do not remember Greg Hardin.  

I remember a interview with the Rammer and Travis Tadysak near the end of his senior season and Rammer talked to him about playing in the NBA, it was an amusing question and took Travis by surprise.

Either freshmen big looks the part and if they can play defense this season then that should protect French from getting in foul trouble trying to defend someone larger.

Happy Friday 

Greg Hardin, correct me if I am wrong, was Charlie Spoonhour's "top" recruit from NYC who had truly gaudy and impressive high school stats only to sit our team bench. And when he came into the game, it was obvious that he was both slow and overweight.   Maybe he gained weight since high school... Maybe his skills just did not translate on the college level. Either way, he did not last long.

But SLU has actually has had very, very few over weight guys over the years.  Don't get me wrong, but SLU has instead had more than its share of guys who were too thin, who feared and/or disliked the weight room, who had poor athletic skills and/or who had poor shooting skills.  

36 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Made me laugh with the Travis Tadysak comment, I do not remember Greg Hardin.  

I remember a interview with the Rammer and Travis Tadysak near the end of his senior season and Rammer talked to him about playing in the NBA, it was an amusing question and took Travis by surprise.

Either freshmen big looks the part and if they can play defense this season then that should protect French from getting in foul trouble trying to defend someone larger.

Happy Friday 

hardin never played a minute at slu.  showed up at beginning of the season WWAAAAAYYYYYYY out of shape.   (what spoon gets for not going to see for himself a nyc recruit and signs sight unseen).   spoon redshirted him to give him a chance to get in shape, dont think he made it to xmas and was gone.

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Greg Hardin, correct me if I am wrong, was Charlie Spoonhour's "top" recruit from NYC who had truly gaudy and impressive high school stats only to sit our team bench. And when he came into the game, it was obvious that he was both slow and overweight.   Maybe he gained weight since high school... Maybe his skills just did not translate on the college level. Either way, he did not last long.

But SLU has actually has had very, very few over weight guys over the years.  Don't get me wrong, but SLU has instead had more than its share of guys who were too thin, who feared and/or disliked the weight room, who had poor athletic skills and/or who had poor shooting skills.  

I think you may be partially mixing or merging Charles "Ricky" Cranford with Hardin.  Hardin was overweight, and I don't think he really even played at all for the Bills.

Obi Ikeakor was another overweight Bill who didn't last more than a couple of games.

30 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think you may be partially mixing or merging Charles "Ricky" Cranford with Hardin.  Hardin was overweight, and I don't think he really even played at all for the Bills.

Obi Ikeakor was another overweight Bill who didn't last more than a couple of games.

Cranford was the big name recruit from the Big Apple. Didn't work out for us or him in St.Louis. But I think he had a decent career at N. Eastern in Boston. At the time of his signing, I think a lot of us thought Charley had landed the poor man's version of the Legend. Never happened.

If either of our two new Mega Frosh have any ability and mobility, they will terrorize most A10 front lines when it comes to D and rebounds. Cripes, they both look like the Hulk.

One question about the schedule; PSU's a no go, but Auburn may be a go? That's a good trade off, although, we might stand a chance against PSU. I'm not sure where Auburn stands after last season's run, but Cousin Brucie Pearl never seems to have any trouble landing good players, since I hear he throws the best BBQ's in the SEC. I'd guess we'd be a huge underdog going into that one.

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Cranford was the big name recruit from the Big Apple. Didn't work out for us or him in St.Louis. But I think he had a decent career at N. Eastern in Boston. At the time of his signing, I think a lot of us thought Charley had landed the poor man's version of the Legend. Never happened.

When you buy a car, you must drive it before you sign the  papers, you cannot buy on looks or stats alone. This applies to basketball players, you must see them play before you decide to offer them, which apparently Spoon did not do (?). From our point of view, I assume some of you may be all turned on by the show of muscle, and impressive it is. However, let's reserve judgement until the season starts and we see them play.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yes.  Thanks. I now believe you are right -  the 6’’3” or 4” or so, slow, bigger guy I remember seeing was Cranford - also highly regarded. Didnt play much. Left after a year?  

And yes - Obi was also heavy - but did have some skill. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

When you buy a car, you must drive it before you sign the  papers, you cannot buy on looks or stats alone. This applies to basketball players, you must see them play before you decide to offer them, which apparently Spoon did not do (?). From our point of view, I assume some of you may be all turned on by the show of muscle, and impressive it is. However, let's reserve judgement until the season starts and we see them play.

Illini fans have been raving about the body transformations of their players for years. Yet they're frontcourt has sucked for years and their latest workout warrior Samba Kane just got the boot.

At the end of the day you can either play or you can't. Muscle just enhances what you already are. Bell has already demonstrated to the coaching staff that he can play.  Coach Ford doesn't shower praise on guys who aren't going to play. The only question is how much. And that won't be determined by muscle pics.

cgeldmacher likes this

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Illini fans have been raving about the body transformations of their players for years. Yet they're frontcourt has sucked for years and their latest workout warrior Samba Kane just got the boot.

At the end of the day you can either play or you can't. Muscle just enhances what you already are. Bell has already demonstrated to the coaching staff that he can play.  Coach Ford doesn't shower praise on guys who aren't going to play. The only question is how much. And that won't be determined by muscle pics.

hmmmmmm

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's why I said if they have any ability or mobility. Most A10 bigs, some exceptions, aren't all that bulked up and go around 6'8" but are athletic. Our two are space eaters and could at least jam up the inside without being shoved around. 

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

That being said...we have yet to see a Ford recruit who, with time, has been a flop or a stiff. For that reason I have faith these two big men will help.

CBFan likes this

25 minutes ago, willie said:

I think Ford has praised everyone at some point.

exactly.   he is a very positive guy.  at least publicly.  

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Jacobs and Hankton

He did play them. But Jacobs got stage fright prior to getting hurt and Hankton got hurt. Contrast that with not playing Thor even in garbage time.

The most we heard about Thor was in his initial press release, which was before he got here. The most we heard about Thor after he got here was "he can shoot" but nothing about his readiness to play. I know this sounds like splitting hairs but listen to how Coach Ford describes Diarra vs how he describes Bell in the coming months.