2019-20 Season

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Jon Rothstein is tweeting about the A10 this morning.  Here are a couple of tweets related to SLU/SLU players:

For me, Ossuniyi broke out last season.  He was solid going down the tourney stretch. 

I am higher on UMass than most.  I think they will be in the middle third of the league.  It will take them time to mesh, but they have a nice incoming group of players.

SLU_Lax likes this

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Rothstein irritates me enough that I can't follow him ("Stay hungry, stay humble") but those tweets show that he knows the league well. I'd rearrange a few spots in my rankings - St. Joe's might end up being worse than any of the teams below them, for example - but these are all pretty spot-on.

I can't remember if anyone ever posted it on the board, but that article that tried to determine if Rothstein is a robot and/or parody account was pretty entertaining.  I can't follow him either - I figure anything worthwhile that he posts will eventually wind up in my timeline anyway.

Pistol likes this

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

Anyone, please provide updates on OOC schedule. So far it looks like KSU in KC, Seton Hall at the Fetz, SIU at the Fetz, BC at BC,  and that's all I got. Am sure I've missed some posts about other games, but I can't find them. Thanks.

BC at BC?  When did that info come out? I assume that BC is Boston College.

No AAC teams yet.  That seem like a conference we should schedule a few games with every year, same with one of the better Western Conferences. 

How about Loyola?  I can't figure out what the problem might be with getting them with a H/H.  For "buy" games I would like to continue with SEMO and SIU-E.  If we can't get Porter to schedule us, how about Bradley?  Just no more than 2 MVC teams or people will start saying we should join them.  It seems like scheduling this year should be easier than next year, given the large number of incoming players this year, who are unknowns at this point.  Next year I would steer clear of us with it being the senior years for JG, HF and Perkins and all our 2019 FR having a year of experience.

While the Zags might be a tough get, how about St Mary's with the former SLU assistant Coach  as their HC.  Add them, along with another Pacific time zone team, to make a two game western trip every other year. 

Just some ramblings at a slow time of the year.

Anybody seen any workouts that you can report on, especially info about the new players, because we will only be as good this year as that group is.

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

announced mid june.  SLU @ Boston college next season, return game following season. 

Just now, wgstl said:

announced mid june.  SLU @ Boston college next season, renturn game following season. 

Thanks, somehow I missed that.  Was that a BC announcement because it doesn't seem like SLU would have put that word out.

1 minute ago, bauman said:

Thanks, somehow I missed that.  Was that a BC announcement because it doesn't seem like SLU would have put that word out.

not sure but Jon rothstein tweeted it out

1 hour ago, bauman said:

No AAC teams yet.  That seem like a conference we should schedule a few games with every year, same with one of the better Western Conferences. 

How about Loyola?  I can't figure out what the problem might be with getting them with a H/H.  For "buy" games I would like to continue with SEMO and SIU-E.  If we can't get Porter to schedule us, how about Bradley?  Just no more than 2 MVC teams or people will start saying we should join them.  It seems like scheduling this year should be easier than next year, given the large number of incoming players this year, who are unknowns at this point.  Next year I would steer clear of us with it being the senior years for JG, HF and Perkins and all our 2019 FR having a year of experience.

While the Zags might be a tough get, how about St Mary's with the former SLU assistant Coach  as their HC.  Add them, along with another Pacific time zone team, to make a two game western trip every other year. 

Just some ramblings at a slow time of the year.

Anybody seen any workouts that you can report on, especially info about the new players, because we will only be as good this year as that group is.

I had heard we were trying to schedule Loyola. Don't know what degree of success. 

Listened to the Housee that Rick Built podcasts and they refer to some summer practice news and videos, saying that Bell has been much better than expected and Gibson unstoppable.  Anybody have any news or video they can post?

-what is the attraction to playing Loyola-Chi? if repaying Porter for his time with us or congratulating them for a Final Four run, so be it, but are they going to help our RPI or whatever? are they going to sell tickets? I'm dubious on both counts but will say there are worse teams we could play, we do a home and home with Methdale, not to sound elitist but do we want another HandH with a Valley team?   

-fwiw last season's schedule was released on Aug 24, prior season was Aug 9 and prior to that Sept 6 

-I wish Frank would have CFord on for at least 30 minutes to talk nothing but scheduling and make it required listening before posting about scheduling, it is not easy or simple even with being the #1 tenant in our own arena

2010andBeyond likes this

58 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-what is the attraction to playing Loyola-Chi? if repaying Porter for his time with us or congratulating them for a Final Four run, so be it, but are they going to help our RPI or whatever? are they going to sell tickets? I'm dubious on both counts but will say there are worse teams we could play, we do a home and home with Methdale, not to sound elitist but do we want another HandH with a Valley team?   

-fwiw last season's schedule was released on Aug 24, prior season was Aug 9 and prior to that Sept 6 

-I wish Frank would have CFord on for at least 30 minutes to talk nothing but scheduling and make it required listening before posting about scheduling, it is not easy or simple even with being the #1 tenant in our own arena

If It was betting man I'd bet that Loyola will be a borderline top 50 team in two years.  They had a comparable regular season to ours last year, lost two senior scorers like we did and brought in a strong freshman class like we did.  And a game on the road would provide another recruiting opportunity in a city we're strongly recruiting.

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

I would much rather play Loyola than Carbondale. I have some fond memories of our past games in the Grawer years. You haven’t lived until you have sat with your knees in the players backs in an upstairs gym seating around 1000. Road trips to Chicago are great. 

12 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Jon Rothstein is tweeting about the A10 this morning.  Here are a couple of tweets related to SLU/SLU players:

This is going to sound a little defeatist, but I’d be pretty happy with a 6th place finish next season given our roster turnover and relative lack of experience.  That’s sort of the top of the likely range for us IMO.

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Coach talked about scheduling several times on his in season Coach's Show.  He said it takes a lot more time than it used to and it is getting very difficult to get any P5 schools to talk to us.

I would much rather play a Valley school then the MEAC's that we have been playing. 

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If It was betting man I'd bet that Loyola will be a borderline top 50 team in two years.  They had a comparable regular season to ours last year, lost two senior scorers like we did and brought in a strong freshman class like we did.  And a game on the road would provide another recruiting opportunity in a city we're strongly recruiting.

Oh, I do not know if Loyola will get to top 50 in 2 years or not. Perhaps they got to final four because the ancient nun they had rooting for them was bringing in divine protection and miraculous shots to the Loyola team. Divine intervention, the ways of the Lord are mysterious.

Talking about miracles. When the lucky supermarket was closing in Chesterfield several years ago, I bought a VERY CHEAP case of  Priorat 2008 (Heredades Mestral, over 60% Carignan). It was an atrocious wine, tasted like purple water with very little taste and very little alcohol, in other words no taste, no aroma. Rather than dumping the rest of the case, I let the case sit untouched for years. Last Saturday I opened a bottle just to  check it out. A miracle! It was like Jesus had come unknown to our basement and changed the tasteless purple water into real wine. It was not only real wine, it was very good wine indeed with a nice aroma to it smelling vaguely of raisins. Another miracle, the husband of one of my wife's friends was dying form an acute Burkitt's Lymphoma in blastic crisis. They expected him to die. Then all of a sudden, for no discernible reason, he started responding to the chemo he had been on for quite some time with little to no results. He may be able to leave the hospital and actually walk around among other people. How long this will last is not known, but this is such a nice thing to happen coming out of the blue sky. There is probably a reason for events like these, but I prefer to think that miracles still happen.

15 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-what is the attraction to playing Loyola-Chi?

Similar profile schools, we want to recruit chicago, lots of alums in chicago, chaifetz lives in chicago, former president of loyola was STL guy, etc.

depaul would accomplish similar goals, but the loyola connection - to me - would be more fun.

Ford on with Frank now...

Gushing about GJ, says Hankton is much improved. Also said Jacobs has really stepped it up. Bell continues to lose weight. Perkins still finishing up classes and not practicing - that is slightly troubling. He did go on to say Perkins will help with his shooting. Said we need to use our athleticism and depth and try to play up-tempo. Said he hopes to play 9-10 guys. Can't comment on Weaver.  Goodwin, French and Thatch are the core players - a lot of interchangeable players after that. 

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Ford on with Frank now...

Gushing about GJ, says Hankton is much improved. Also said Jacobs has really stepped it up. Bell continues to lose weight. Perkins still finishing up classes and not practicing - that is slightly troubling. He did go on to say Perkins will help with his shooting. Said we need to use our athleticism and depth and try to play up-tempo. Said he hopes to play 9-10 guys. Can't comment on Weaver.  Goodwin, French and Thatch are the core players - a lot of interchangeable players after that. 

-thanks for the update, they didn't spend 30 minutes talking about scheduling?? I guess Frank only reads the Board occasionally.

-given how many times we have heard this or similar and not seen it, I'll believe it when I see it

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Nothing about Yuri or Hargrove?

R & G

See my comments about YC in the thread with the interview as the title.

Sorry, Ace.  Before posting /starting a new thread on the interview, I looked at all the recent threads to see if it was a topic, but I didn't go into each thread to see if someone posted anything.  Sounds like you and I got the same impressions

15 hours ago, Old guy said:

Oh, I do not know if Loyola will get to top 50 in 2 years or not. Perhaps they got to final four because the ancient nun they had rooting for them was bringing in divine protection and miraculous shots to the Loyola team. Divine intervention, the ways of the Lord are mysterious.

Talking about miracles. When the lucky supermarket was closing in Chesterfield several years ago, I bought a VERY CHEAP case of  Priorat 2008 (Heredades Mestral, over 60% Carignan). It was an atrocious wine, tasted like purple water with very little taste and very little alcohol, in other words no taste, no aroma. Rather than dumping the rest of the case, I let the case sit untouched for years. Last Saturday I opened a bottle just to  check it out. A miracle! It was like Jesus had come unknown to our basement and changed the tasteless purple water into real wine. It was not only real wine, it was very good wine indeed with a nice aroma to it smelling vaguely of raisins. Another miracle, the husband of one of my wife's friends was dying form an acute Burkitt's Lymphoma in blastic crisis. They expected him to die. Then all of a sudden, for no discernible reason, he started responding to the chemo he had been on for quite some time with little to no results. He may be able to leave the hospital and actually walk around among other people. How long this will last is not known, but this is such a nice thing to happen coming out of the blue sky. There is probably a reason for events like these, but I prefer to think that miracles still happen.

Priorat has some great wines - near Barcelona I took a Wine Merchant trip there some time ago.  Your first bottle might have been corked or cooked - both not good.  The dirty secret is that an estimated 10% of wines using corks are tainted.  I have a cellar & never stop buying 😃🍷

7 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

Priorat has some great wines - near Barcelona I took a Wine Merchant trip there some time ago.  Your first bottle might have been corked or cooked - both not good.  The dirty secret is that an estimated 10% of wines using corks are tainted.  I have a cellar & never stop buying 😃🍷

When are we going to have a Billiken Board tasting? 

slufanskip likes this

11 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

#blessed