2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/24/2019 at 8:03 AM, slu72 said:

Check  out the Instagram links on the home page of Billikens.com for clips of Yuri and Hargrove. Very impressive. Yuri drawing two defenders on a baseline drive then making a sweet underhand dish to French for a wide open basket. French didn't even jam it. Just finger rolled it in. Suhweet! I really do think Yuri finds his way into the starting lineup before all is said and done, because he will make guys like French, Perkins, Hargrove, and Jimerson that much more effective.

Then, Hargrove taking a neat pass from who I think is Thatch and going in for a reverse dunk. The kid can sky! I've been around long enough to know you can't get too excited about pre season practices and hype highlite videos, but these two plays are fun to watch.  Getting a little anxious about Perkins still being MIA. I hope it's not a hang up with our admissions people, because there would be plenty of suitors willing to look the other way when it comes to credit transfers.

Coach 314 any news on Perkins?

My prediction is that Jimerson's playing time will be a function of how well he does on D and the effort he puts in there.  My hope is that even if he is a liability on defense, he puts in the effort to be passable, and his offense is as good as advertised.

9 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

My prediction is that Jimerson's playing time will be a function of how well he does on D and the effort he puts in there.  My hope is that even if he is a liability on defense, he puts in the effort to be passable, and his offense is as good as advertised.

Let him have the Scott Highmark rules.

(Highmark has said that Coach Spoonhour told him that he had to score more points than he gave up, in order to play.)

7 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Let him have the Scott Highmark rules.

(Highmark has said that Coach Spoonhour told him that he had to score more points than he gave up, in order to play.)

i believe you are right, if jimerson makes shots he will get minutes. his defense will only have to be slightly better than a matador and he will play

BIG BILL FAN and almaman like this

If Gibson can play well enough to stay on the floor, he will help give our inside players room to work.  That will especially be true if we have a second outside shooter that has to be covered, likely Perkins.  That extra distance on the 3 point line will help.  If our freshmen Bigs can combine for significant minutes, French will be a nightmare for opposing 4s to cover and he will have a big year.   With all of the new players, I expect the team won't come together until mid way through the conference season.  But by then we should know who can play and the newbies should have a better idea of what to do on both sides of the ball. 

42 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

If Gibson can play well enough to stay on the floor, he will help give our inside players room to work.  That will especially be true if we have a second outside shooter that has to be covered, likely Perkins.  That extra distance on the 3 point line will help.  If our freshmen Bigs can combine for significant minutes, French will be a nightmare for opposing 4s to cover and he will have a big year.   With all of the new players, I expect the team won't come together until mid way through the conference season.  But by then we should know who can play and the newbies should have a better idea of what to do on both sides of the ball. 

-can you please explain how having our frosh bigs getting significant minutes and French being a nightmare for opposing 4s to defend relates? my understanding is our frosh bigs are traditional 5s, ie not Rob Loe-like that will need to be covered at the 3pt line-they will be near the basket, so unless HF has developed a game away from the basket he will be there with our big and any defenders in this mix, I hope I am missing something in this as I would love to be wrong and it be as you assert 

will someone explain the jimerson defense fear?   i have never read he is not an adequate defender.  why the almost panic like posts?

almaman, dennis_w and SLU_Lax like this

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

will someone explain the jimerson defense fear?   i have never read he is not an adequate defender.  why the almost panic like posts?

Well, why do you always question my Go Yuri posts? He's gonna be a game changer just like Jimerson. Let the kids play. We got nothing to lose this year. Oh, I know he's only 6 foot, but do you know the two PG's who started last year in the Final 4 were smaller than Yuri? In Yuri I trust! Get on the Yuri train.

They are not stretch 5s, but they are big 6'10-11" centers.  Opponents who put thier big man on our 5, means that French is matched to thier 4,  in a man to man. If they put thier big man on French, then our big has a like 5 inches on thier 4. Even close to the basket, a little spacing and movement makes the defence choose who they will cover.  If they double French our big has to be open on the other side. Last year, teams clogged up the middle with zones, but we didn't have shooters that consistently made them pay.  French was also a relatively small target to hit when fronted by a big man.  As our bigs figure out where they need to be, I think we will see good things happen as the year progresses. Especially if that coincides with better outside shooting. 

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Because this is the time the MBM's choose to freak out about everything and anything. This is, of course, helped by getting a 143 ranking in the 144 review. This triggers the worry and makes it worse. "I know he is wrong, but what if he isn't, what does he know we do not know?" The answer to the last question is obviously nothing at all..

26 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Well, why do you always question my Go Yuri posts? He's gonna be a game changer just like Jimerson. Let the kids play. We got nothing to lose this year. Oh, I know he's only 6 foot, but do you know the two PG's who started last year in the Final 4 were smaller than Yuri? In Yuri I trust! Get on the Yuri train.

well ive seen yuri numerous times.   i am just afraid of his size and shooting.  i am hoping i am wrong.   he was indeed fun to watch in high school. 

i have not seen jimerson.   my question about jimerson's defense is just that.  a question i am hoping someone more in the know personally and not third hand can attest to one way or the other.   

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

He's not a plus athlete so some people are jumping to conclusions. I'm assuming he can play defense or he wouldn't have been offered in the fall period. When has Coach Ford ever targeted a player early who couldn't defend his position?  

billiken_roy likes this

One of our incoming bigs has hardly played over the last two years because of injuries and the other didn’t start on his high school team. I like their upside, but expecting them to contribute significant minutes this season might be expecting too much

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Foreman, Anthony, Wiley?

did he recruit JJ? If so, he’s #1 on the list. Worst Billiken defender since....?

Foreman was a solid defender. Anthony was a scrub but not terrible either. Wiley was a good defender, he just couldn't move. He was good guarding the post. Johnson was also a decent post defender.  The most obvious bad defender was Isabell. He's the only negative defender Ford has played.

Zink and 3star_recruit like this

On 6/24/2019 at 10:20 PM, Old guy said:

Good for you Billikenbooster, my experience with life has been diametrically opposite to yours. I did manage well for myself and mine but my life has definitely not been a cake walk. However, who cares, this is water under the bridge.

We used to play the cakewalk game in Elementary school at the Carnival. I always wanted to win a German Chocolate Cake