2019-20 Season

Since reports say Coach Ford is not actively pursuing anyone with the last scholarship, our 2019-20 team appears to be set, unless someone falls in our lap.  It appears that Ford wants 2 open scholarships for 2020.   I have listed the players below to aid in discussions about projections about who will play, potential lineups, minutes etc. I have listed by class, with height, weight and the position numbers, in the order that I think the players are most likely to play (debatable). 

With so many new players lacking division one experience, Ford has his work cut out for him.  But that said, there appears to be a lot of talent and potential with this group.  I will follow with a post about my thoughts in regard to the coming season.

Seniors
Michael Lewis                    6’1”        175         2

Juniors
Jordan Goodwin               6’4”        220         1-2-3
Hasahn French                  6’7”        230         4-5
Javonte Perkins                6’7”        185         3-4

Sophomores
Fred Thatch                        6’3”        195         2
KC Hankton                        6’8”        185         4-3
Demarius Jacobs               6’2”        165         1-2

Freshman

Yuri Collins                          5’10”      175         1
Gibson Jimerson               6’6”        210         3-2
Terrence Hargrove          6’7”        185         4-3
Madani Diarra                    6’11”      245         5             
Jimmy Bell                           6’ 10”     290         5

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Recruiting' s not our problem; retention's a *****, however.

At least this loss is early enough to replace, if in fact that's what Coach Ford chooses to do. A shooting guard is about the easiest position to fill in the grad transfer market. Or it could just mean more minutes for Jimerson.

The loss of Lewis hurts the player and the team.  He doesn't graduate with a degree, or  play for the team he always wanted to play for. He would likely have been among our leaders in minutes and points.  Now, we either need a big step up in scoring from Thatch or Jacobs, Or something big from one of the freshman Or get lucky and land a productive grad transfer that fits well with the team. 

dennis_w likes this

While it hurts, Lewis was a rent-a-player who would grab minutes from guys we need to develop for the future success of the program. Yes, he would have given Travis the comfort of having a well experienced player with a proven ability to score. But this would have come at the expense of players like Jacobs, Thatch, and Collins. Lewis wasn't enough to get us to the dance. That's not a knock on him, but the supporting cast doesn't have enough experience to get us over the top at this point. Look at his departure as a long term investment in our future. Hopefully, the players that fill his role payoff in the years ahead. 

bauman and Zink like this

I am getting too old for long term investment. with the way college is going players transferring you can develop a player to be good for someone else.I think the goal is to win every year and if a gt guard will help, then get him. I am not so sure that we cant make a run this for some post season tourney and we just became thin at the guard spot

10 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I am getting too old for long term investment. with the way college is going players transferring you can develop a player to be good for someone else.I think the goal is to win every year and if a gt guard will help, then get him. I am not so sure that we cant make a run this for some post season tourney and we just became thin at the guard spot

I hear you, but the addition of 2 GTs last year drove off Jalen Johnson our best 3 point threat. Not saying we didn't make out well with Isabell,  but maybe if we had passed on Wiley we'd still have Johnson. That's pure speculation on my part. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I hear you, but the addition of 2 GTs last year drove off Jalen Johnson our best 3 point threat. Not saying we didn't make out well with Isabell,  but maybe if we had passed on Wiley we'd still have Johnson. That's pure speculation on my part. 

point taken, i never heard the reason jj left, but he would have gotten a lot of pt. the gts last year paid off with tourney appearance and likely would not without them

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

The great mid-major programs figure out a way to retain their players.  Always been that way, always will be.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The great mid-major programs figure out a way to retain their players.  Always been that way, always will be.

times are changing, transfers were not so commonplace in the past. I like watching players develop over 4 years that is actually my preference, but the climate is different now and we have to keep up. look at what we lost when ford came in

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

point taken, i never heard the reason jj left, but he would have gotten a lot of pt. the gts last year paid off with tourney appearance and likely would not without them

Not w/o Isabell coming alive the last 1/3 of the season. Wiley, not that much. I think we'd all trade Wiley to get back Johnson, who we'd have for 2 more years. 

38 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not w/o Isabell coming alive the last 1/3 of the season. Wiley, not that much. I think we'd all trade Wiley to get back Johnson, who we'd have for 2 more years. 

do we know jalen left because of wiley? i never heard the reason, u r correct would have liked to had jalen

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

He wanted to be closer to Mickey Pearson's grandma.

Just because excellent post was not an option I must post excellent post too you.

Thanks for the laugh.

Box and Won likes this

23 hours ago, slu72 said:

That is not correct. Johnson left a month before Isabell and Wiley. We would have gotten Isabell anyway, as we were desperate to land a starting guard. The addition of Wiley was more of a response to Johnson's departure, rather than Johnson departing because of Wiley.