Starting Lineup 2019-20

ACE

9 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Why do you assume he's playing 25-30 min a game? Am I missing something? Wasn't he passed up at Duquesne?

Lewis played 32.0 mpg and 31.1 mpg his first two seasons at Duquesne, averaging 14.1 and 14.4 ppg.  He hit for 40.9% and 38.4% of his FG, including 36.0% and 36.8% from the arc, plus 83.2% and 82.6% from the line.  That's 64 games of solid play.

We really don't know what happened his third, 12 game, partial season.  Obviously there was some fall out with Dambrot that has not been revealed.  

Those first two years shows you what he can bring.  And two+ years of NCAA experience are very valuable.  The potential is there for him to be one of our leading scorers.  He will play plenty (whenever he is eligible).

Bizziken likes this

9 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Can someone explain to me how Jimmerson played on a high profile team and is regarded as a top 5 shooter in 2019 but gets no attention in the ranking system?

He can play the physical D that Ford demands, he will get minutes. Otherwise even if he comes in guns blazing hitting treys from the parking lot, he will still be a liability against the more physical teams. He also needs to learn the college offensive system. It will take time. 

HoosierPal likes this

3 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

He can play the physical D that Ford demands, he will get minutes. Otherwise even if he comes in guns blazing hitting treys from the parking lot, he will still be a liability against the more physical teams. He also needs to learn the college offensive system. It will take time. 

Couldn't agree more.  Highlight video's don't show how very well a player defends (yeah, a few blocks and steals are shown but very little man on ball action).

Conversely, if Bell or Diarra show that they can defend and trade body shots with the Langevine's, Santos-Silva's and the Osunniyi's, and rebound, they will see more minutes than most are predicting.

CBFan and Spoon-Balls like this

10 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Why do you assume he's playing 25-30 min a game? Am I missing something? Wasn't he passed up at Duquesne?

I think this could have been a situation of genius Dambrot choosing guys he recruited over Lewis. He gave garbage players like Hughes and Dunn-Martin minutes at the expense of Lewis. Didn't make sense. He also let Williams get away. The guy is a tool.

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think this could have been a situation of genius Dambrot choosing guys he recruited over Lewis. He gave garbage players like Hughes and Dunn-Martin minutes at the expense of Lewis. Didn't make sense. He also let Williams get away. The guy is a tool.

He may be a tool but apparently a lot of people in the know say he may be the only one to get something going there.  We'll see, but agree why chase off the better players you have. 

6'6"-6'7" and yes he is, size wise, able to guard A10 #4s.  In a crunch and for at least a few minutes he could likely guard many, but not all, A10 #5s.  Let's remember, HEIGHT wise, he is about the same as French.

20 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Could definitely see this happen once Bell has more time to get acclimated. Where would you put Perkins depth-wise?

I feel Perkins is worthy of being a starter.  I just think Ford will favor Hargrove because of style of play.  

On 5/17/2019 at 6:58 PM, Coach314 said:

I feel Perkins is worthy of being a starter.  I just think Ford will favor Hargrove because of style of play.  

Is Hargrove good enough to guard the 4 in the A10? a 6-7/8 big? 

I think against most teams, Ford will be able to run out Goodwin, Thatch, Perkins, Hargrove, French

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think against most teams, Ford will be able to run out Goodwin, Thatch, Perkins, Hargrove, French

I have no idea if he is "good" enough, but he's certainly got the size and the athleticism.  I also have no clue which recruits will do what, but if the ratings and hype on this board are any indicator, I think you'll see lots of lineups with Hargrove or Perkins at the 4 and some combination of Thatch, Goodwin, Collins, Lewis, and Jimmerson occupying the other 3 spots. Maybe Jacobs or Hankton can prove me wrong.

Teams really don't need two traditional "bigs" anymore, especially in the A-10.  A lineup with multiple guards and wings can still defend and rebound, particularly when those guards include Goodwin and Thatch and your lone "big" is French.  

33 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Which 4 men in the A10 are you concerned about?

Not necessarily anyone specific. I don't think "good" was the right word -  more is he able to guard a smaller big?

For instance, Richmond plays two decent bigs at once with Cato and Golden. VCU has as well with Mosley and MSS. Where the size isn't as big of a deal as it is with bigger schools, but they're still traditional bigs.

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Which 4 men in the A10 are you concerned about?

With French in the lineup for the largest opposing big, there aren't many PFs in the league to worry about.

Dayton can run Toppin (assuming he returns) with Jordy Tshimanga, a 6-11, 270-lb. post who becomes eligible this year. They also have Moulaye Sissoko coming in as a freshman and he's got some size.

Duquesne has a decent frontcourt if Baylee Steele (juco transfer) is a good second piece to Michael Hughes.

I could see GW starting freshman Chase Paar along with Arnaldo Toro this season, and Hargrove would be giving up some size to either of them.

Same with Khalea Turner-Morris and Tre Mitchell at UMass, or Cyril Langevine and Jermaine Harris at URI.

We obviously have problems guarding Golden, but Richmond doesn't have a second big that would give Hargrove trouble.

St. Joe's and Bonaventure have some decent returning size, but their second/third bigs are going to have to make big leaps this season.

Basically, there aren't many frontcourt combos that would be a major problem for French and Hargrove playing together. Hargrove would give up some beef to most of them, but his length and leaping ability are up with the best in the conference.

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Not necessarily anyone specific. I don't think "good" was the right word -  more is he able to guard a smaller big?

For instance, Richmond plays two decent bigs at once with Cato and Golden. VCU has as well with Mosley and MSS. Where the size isn't as big of a deal as it is with bigger schools, but they're still traditional bigs.

Cayo is 6-6. Hargrove is 6-7.

Santos-Silva is 6-7 and obviously much bigger and stronger. Mobley is no longer at VCU. Douglas is 6-9 but thin. Ward, an incoming freshman, is also 6-9 and about 200.

There just aren't many situations where A10 teams will run two bigs at the same time who will offer a major size and strength issue for Hargrove next to French. Hargrove is lean and inexperienced but otherwise will be able to defend most of his assignments without major headaches.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Hargrove is lean and inexperienced but otherwise will be able to defend most of his assignments without major headaches.

And that's kind of what I was looking for. i know length won't be an issue so I wanted to make sure he COULD defend inside. I know he'll be a plus on the offense for us but comes with more of a guard/wing skillset. Just curious.

Thanks all

With two FR bigs at 7' and 6'11 we have 10 fouls to give at the big position. If someone's killing us put 'em on the line. May not be the answer for Golden, as he's probably decent from the line, but it should work against most bigs.

It's also going to depend on the matchup. Bell and Diarra, if they indeed play a decent amount, aren't going to be chasing Golden out 22 feet from the basket. I'm not counting on them for a lot this season, though, and would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Fun fact: Hargrove averaged 3.3 blocks per game as a senior in high school. Carte'Are Gordon averaged 2.0 BPG (Hargrove averaged 2.4 BPG that season, as a junior). He also pulled down more rebounds as a senior, 9.0 RPG to Gordon's 8.3.

There are some other factors at play in these numbers - it's just interesting to note.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Since two of our guards are such good rebounders (Thatch and Goodwin), combined with French, I think we can often get away with a thinner, more finesse type player at the 4. Hargrove's freaskish athleticism could give a lot of opposing A-10 4s a hard time.