Starting Lineup 2019-20

ACE

I know starting is for high school, but with only one more available scholarship to give and no grad transfer big in the fold, was curious what starting lineup combos we might see.

French, Goodwin, Perkins are likely locks - most would say Thatch, although I think a case could also be made for Lewis. The question if we don't land a decent experienced big is who would be the 5th starter?

Bell?

Hargrove as undersized 4?

Go small with Yuri?

Hankton as stretch 4?

Goodwin, Lewis, Thatch, Perkins, French?

I'm going out on a limb here: Yuri, Lewis, Goodwin, Hargrove, French. Off the bench: Perkins, Thatch, Jimerson, Jacobs, Hankton. Bell and Diarra in special situations, Foul trouble for French and a big that's killing us, e.g. Toppin or Golden. Goodwin becomes this season's Bess. 

drkelsey55 likes this

Depends on what happens with the last scholarship and whether Lewis is eligible in the first semester. I had Goodwin-Thatch-Perkins-French-TBD penciled in, but Lewis could start over Thatch and make him the A10 6th Man of the Year, or vice-versa. I was thinking TBD would be a grad transfer big, which still isn't totally out of the question. I just want to see what happens with that last spot before giving a more solid prediction here.

only for sures assuming no injuries or S's (after two straight years, we are all thinking it) is goodwin and french.    after that they got about 6 weeks to make the impression.  

i say assuming jimerson is the shooter we all think and dream about is in the lineup.   perkins and hargrove together gives us more size to compete defensively under the basket.   so i will take those five and lewis, thatch and collins are off the bench.   those will be the only double digit minute guys imo.   (this all assumes no more solid players to the roster this year.

p.s. i am against the phrase, "starting is for high school".   anyone that believes that never played high school or college sports.   they all would almost die to be one of the starters.  it is a major motivational and/or discipline tool.   a coach can try to play that its not important, but he/she is likely just ducking tough media questions or lying to his players because he doesnt want to explain his/her tough decision.     

Unless something happens, and it seems something always happens this is the first year Ford has had a deep bench. We will see different combinations for at least the first half of the year. I'll go with Ace's 5 to start. 

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We have like 4 players that could take the 5th spot 

I'm figuring there are 3 spots pretty much wide open. Obviously, Lewis and Thatch have a big edge in experience, but I'm not so sure they're stone cold locks to start and pretty sure both of them won't start together. The fight for minutes will be fun to watch. 

Goodwin, Jacobs, Hargrove, Perkins, French.

We have a deep bench with Hankton, Jimerson, Thatch, Lewis, Collins.

The two freshman bigs probably will not play very much.

10 players should see a lot of time.

The best 6th man in the A10 will be Thatch.

Lewis isn't coming here to sit on the bench.  Who cares if he starts or not.   He will get 25 to 30 minutes.  Experience counts.  Let the high schooler's start if that is what they need to be motivated.  Give me the clutch minutes, ball in my hands, at the end of the game.  82% career FT shooter will be in the late game action.

(Obviously he needs to get eligible first, or he WILL sit on the bench.)

Bizziken likes this

Goodwin, Thatch, Lewis, Perkins, & French.  Hargrove & Jimmerson first off the bench then Hankton.  Collins will get more minutes as the season progresses but will start off at 8-10 minutes a game.  The two bigs will get 3 minutes a half between them.  If Hargrove can handle guarding the 4 with Perkins, or maybe even one of them manning the 5 spot for a time we will be good and be able to spread out our guard rotation.  It helps that we have Thatch and Goodwin who can guard much bigger players.

majerus mojo, SLU_Nick and Zink like this

3 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Goodwin,  Lewis (if eligible), Hargrove, French,  Bell

Ford sticks with a physical lineup.  Lewis as the shooter. 

Could definitely see this happen once Bell has more time to get acclimated. Where would you put Perkins depth-wise?

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Lewis isn't coming here to sit on the bench.  Who cares if he starts or not.   He will get 25 to 30 minutes.  Experience counts.  Let the high schooler's start if that is what they need to be motivated.  Give me the clutch minutes, ball in my hands, at the end of the game.  82% career FT shooter will be in the late game action.

(Obviously he needs to get eligible first, or he WILL sit on the bench.)

Why do you assume he's playing 25-30 min a game? Am I missing something? Wasn't he passed up at Duquesne?

27 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Why do you assume he's playing 25-30 min a game? Am I missing something? Wasn't he passed up at Duquesne?

I'm almost 100% Lewis starts.  Most experienced guy we have and he's a solid player who fills a role on the team.  I don't think these freshman bigs are getting minutes just because they are big.  We'll start 3 or 4 guards and play that many all game.  Goodwin and Thatch will have huge roles and Lewis will be right behind them.  If Jimmerson or Collins is getting minutes in front of Lewis they are very good freshman.

7 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Can someone explain to me how Jimmerson played on a high profile team and is regarded as a top 5 shooter in 2019 but gets no attention in the ranking system?

I could, but I don't want to be criticized for telling the truth............

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Who is Jimmerson?

Has anyone heard Gibson's last name pronounced?  If it's ji(m)-mer-son, which is the only was I can really conceive of, then the spelling "Jimerson" basically violates the English convention of doubling the letter M in a word when it bridges two syllables or parts of a word (e.g., prefix, root, suffix).  So our brains have been trained to think: "..immer..."

People have probably been misspelling Gibson's last name all his life, and he probably just rolls with it.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1