SLU Soccer Recruit Schulte Stone Walls Des Moines for STLFC win.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Webster native put on a show. Gomez was a wall 

Did not realize Gomez was a local.  Was mistakenly advised last night Fink the only native STL player.  If Schulte can play anywhere close to Gomez level this Fall, we are in for a treat.  Kasey Keller edition triple save was awesome.  For those soccer fans unable to attend the game last night, check it out on You tube.  You’re in for a treat!

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Did not realize Gomez was a local.  Was mistakenly advised last night Fink the only native STL player.  If Schulte can play anywhere close to Gomez level this Fall, we are in for a treat.  Kasey Keller edition triple save was awesome.  For those soccer fans unable to attend the game last night, check it out on You tube.  You’re in for a treat!

Love every Kasey Keller reference. My dog is named Keller

Gremio14 likes this

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

While I follow soccer to some degree, I am a little confused reading this thread.  Am I correct in my understanding that our STL sub-MLS level team has beaten 2 MLS teams during the last 2 weeks?

That is correct.  Next up is Atlanta in the quarterfinals, which will be real tough.  It's quite the feat what they've accomplished.

4 hours ago, bauman said:

While I follow soccer to some degree, I am a little confused reading this thread.  Am I correct in my understanding that our STL sub-MLS level team has beaten 2 MLS teams during the last 2 weeks?

US Open cup play, similar to the FA Cup. Any team in America can enter. Semi Pro and Amateur teams play multiple games before USL teams enter and then MLS get the most bye rounds.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

US Open cup play, similar to the FA Cup. Any team in America can enter. Semi Pro and Amateur teams play multiple games before USL teams enter and then MLS get the most bye rounds.

84 teams are in this year’s tourney. I believe 97 last year. Fellow USL team New Mexico United also made the quarterfinals with a 2-1 over MLS FC Dallas. .....upsets happen once in a while. .....Speaking of amateur teams, Bavarians of Milwaukee are the reigning men’s national champions and therefore received an auto invite to participate.  (their 7th in about 40 plus years) The tourney in various forms is 105 years old.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:09 PM, slufanskip said:

Love every Kasey Keller reference. My dog is named Keller

KJ is my all time favorite Billiken goalie. He back stopped some great teams and was a WALL.

Kevin Johnston (Men's Soccer, 1987-90) - Johnston is SLU's all-time winningest goalkeeper with 52 victories in the nets. He posted a career goals against average of 0.90 to rank fifth all time, and his 280 saves are third most in program history. Johnston backstopped the team to NCAA Tournament appearances all four years. He twice posted 18 wins in a season to set the program record, and he holds the record for shutouts in a season with 16. Johnston was a three-time All-Region and All-Conference selection, and he was named to the Billiken All-Half Century team.