Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
HoosierPal

SLU Soccer Recruit Schulte Stone Walls Des Moines for STLFC win.

Recommended Posts

SLU soccer recruit Patrick Schulte from Francis Howell and playing for Saint Louis FC, was a brick wall in goal stopping 3 PK's for a win against Des Moines in the US Open Cup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link. I hate the exaggerated bouncing around the Des Moines keeper does. I doubt it's distracting to a decent shooter and it doesn't allow you to react as quickly to a shot.

Nice saves by Schulte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schulte didn't play last night, but FC beat the Chicago Fire in Open Cup play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Schulte didn't play last night, but FC beat the Chicago Fire in Open Cup play.

Webster native put on a show. Gomez was a wall 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Webster native put on a show. Gomez was a wall 

Did not realize Gomez was a local.  Was mistakenly advised last night Fink the only native STL player.  If Schulte can play anywhere close to Gomez level this Fall, we are in for a treat.  Kasey Keller edition triple save was awesome.  For those soccer fans unable to attend the game last night, check it out on You tube.  You’re in for a treat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Did not realize Gomez was a local.  Was mistakenly advised last night Fink the only native STL player.  If Schulte can play anywhere close to Gomez level this Fall, we are in for a treat.  Kasey Keller edition triple save was awesome.  For those soccer fans unable to attend the game last night, check it out on You tube.  You’re in for a treat!

Love every Kasey Keller reference. My dog is named Keller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I follow soccer to some degree, I am a little confused reading this thread.  Am I correct in my understanding that our STL sub-MLS level team has beaten 2 MLS teams during the last 2 weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bauman said:

While I follow soccer to some degree, I am a little confused reading this thread.  Am I correct in my understanding that our STL sub-MLS level team has beaten 2 MLS teams during the last 2 weeks?

That is correct.  Next up is Atlanta in the quarterfinals, which will be real tough.  It's quite the feat what they've accomplished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, philliken said:

That is correct.  Next up is Atlanta in the quarterfinals, which will be real tough.  It's quite the feat what they've accomplished.

If they win do they get upgraded to the premier league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bauman said:

While I follow soccer to some degree, I am a little confused reading this thread.  Am I correct in my understanding that our STL sub-MLS level team has beaten 2 MLS teams during the last 2 weeks?

US Open cup play, similar to the FA Cup. Any team in America can enter. Semi Pro and Amateur teams play multiple games before USL teams enter and then MLS get the most bye rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

US Open cup play, similar to the FA Cup. Any team in America can enter. Semi Pro and Amateur teams play multiple games before USL teams enter and then MLS get the most bye rounds.

84 teams are in this year’s tourney. I believe 97 last year. Fellow USL team New Mexico United also made the quarterfinals with a 2-1 over MLS FC Dallas. .....upsets happen once in a while. .....Speaking of amateur teams, Bavarians of Milwaukee are the reigning men’s national champions and therefore received an auto invite to participate.  (their 7th in about 40 plus years) The tourney in various forms is 105 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 times teams from St Louis have won it in the past.  The old Busch Soccer Club was the last St. Louis team to appear in the finals when they won it back in 1988.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 9:09 PM, slufanskip said:

Love every Kasey Keller reference. My dog is named Keller

KJ is my all time favorite Billiken goalie. He back stopped some great teams and was a WALL.

Kevin Johnston (Men's Soccer, 1987-90) - Johnston is SLU's all-time winningest goalkeeper with 52 victories in the nets. He posted a career goals against average of 0.90 to rank fifth all time, and his 280 saves are third most in program history. Johnston backstopped the team to NCAA Tournament appearances all four years. He twice posted 18 wins in a season to set the program record, and he holds the record for shutouts in a season with 16. Johnston was a three-time All-Region and All-Conference selection, and he was named to the Billiken All-Half Century team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...