OT: The NHL needs to fold

10 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I didn’t think the Sharks fans in my area and walking to and from the Shark Tank were that bad. There was no trash talk at all walking in and out. Some isolated Shark fans uttered some F Bombs at the Blues and tried (flailed and failed IMO) to rip STL after all was lost for SJ and the score was 5-0 STL, but a group of us Blues fans, sporadically seated, brought some of it on by chanting “Let’s Go Blues!” 😂 

One misguided Sharks fan cited STL eats at Hardee’s (so what’s the issue), perhaps not realizing Carl’s Junior is the West Coast version of same. Another bellowed that STL doesn’t have a football team.

Sign of the day, while I was walking out at the atrium, a Blues fan was holding up a sign, “Hands Off Our Cup.”

Another sidebar, black on one side, white on the other, waving towels greeted us at our seats. When waved en masse, they look like orcas, killer whales, wrong species. I’m told orcas actually eat Sharks (like the Blues are doing).

Let’s finish off the finned ones tomorrow night!

San Jose is a residential Earth City. 

NextYearBill likes this

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I didn’t think the Sharks fans in my area and walking to and from the Shark Tank were that bad. There was no trash talk at all walking in and out. Some isolated Shark fans uttered some F Bombs at the Blues and tried (flailed and failed IMO) to rip STL after all was lost for SJ and the score was 5-0 STL, but a group of us Blues fans, sporadically seated, brought some of it on by chanting “Let’s Go Blues!” 😂 

One misguided Sharks fan cited STL eats at Hardee’s (so what’s the issue), perhaps not realizing Carl’s Junior is the West Coast version of same. Another bellowed that STL doesn’t have a football team.

Sign of the day, while I was walking out at the atrium, a Blues fan was holding up a sign, “Hands Off Our Cup.”

Another sidebar, black on one side, white on the other, waving towels greeted us at our seats. When waved en masse, they look like orcas, killer whales, wrong species. I’m told orcas actually eat Sharks (like the Blues are doing).

Let’s finish off the finned ones tomorrow night!

Whoa, BURN NOTICE! Those are some world class burns by the Sharks fans. Thanks for providing your perspective. Honestly, I'm not sure how you didn't have a complete mental breakdown after the Hardee's slur. He got Blues fans good with that one! I legit laughed out loud (lol'd) when I read that part. How random.

I fully expect to have the city of St. Louis trashed and our lack of an NFL team brought up by opposing fans whenever I see the Cardinals or Blues on the road. Not much you can do but laugh. And hope they win the game.

I would think if the Rangers, or Islanders or Devils were in it the NHL would be getting a lot more media attention.  I am not even sure if the Kings were in it if that would make that much bigger of a difference.  Unless you live in Chicago if you are in "fly over" country you have gotten use to this treatment.  Not worth getting your undies in a knot anymore.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

The bigger unanswered question here is why does anyone watch Sportscenter? 

because at 5 am my choices of tv are pretty limited sportswise.  i want to see highlights and find out what happened the day before.   sportscenter is the best available at my healthclub.  

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I fully expect to have the city of St. Louis trashed and our lack of an NFL team brought up by opposing fans whenever I see the Cardinals or Blues on the road. Not much you can do but laugh. And hope they win the game.

I was in Texas this weekend and went to the Cardinals/Rangers game on Saturday evening. After the game an aggressive Ranger fan was getting into it with some Cardinal fans and his go to line was St. Louis not having a NFL team.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I was in Texas this weekend and went to the Cardinals/Rangers game on Saturday evening. After the game an aggressive Ranger fan was getting into it with some Cardinal fans and his go to line was St. Louis not having a NFL team.

7 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I know Mizzou is hated here, but that is one of the times that we should use their SEC membership as a comeback against these numbskulls.

SEC Football > National Fraud League

10 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I know Mizzou is hated here, but that is one of the times that we should use their SEC membership as a comeback against these numbskulls.

SEC Football > National Fraud League

I say the same thing for Mizzou basketball, they are in Missouri, not St. Louis.  Might as well just claim the Chiefs if we are claiming a team in Missouri.  

Mizzou represents KC just as much as St. Louis and people in KC hate St. Louis. 

Blues are in St. Louis.  Cardinals are in St. Louis.  SLU is in St. Louis.  

On 5/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, thetorch said:

This situation has everything to do with the fans. You've been supporting a franchise who has been an outcast in their league for decades. From Scott Stevens to this incident and everything in between. It's no coincidence. This is what happens when you support a cheating inept franchise in a corrupt league. You'll get screwed every year. Yet every year you are shocked when it happens again.

Going back to this post with Scott Stevens and everything in between.  The reason the Scott Stevens incident happened was because we lost him originally as part of compensation for signing Brendan Shanahan when he was a restricted free agent.  The Blues talked to Stevens before free agency started which was the rule they broke but he would’ve been on the Blues already had they not signed Shanahan.  

So what was everything that happened in between?

Well the Blues ended up trading Shanahan for a young defenseman Chris Pronger (who was at last Billikens home game) who led to the Blues to a Presidents trophy but no cup appearance.

After the lockout, Bill Laurie wanted to make the team easier to sell so traded bigger contracts which meant Pronger was traded for Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka, and Doug Lynch which was a terrible trade.  

Eric Brewer was traded 6 years later for Brock Beukeboom, who never made the NHL, and a third round pick in the 2011 draft. 

The third-round pick in 2011 became…Jordan Binnington who has led the Blues to someplace they haven’t been in 49 years.  Sometimes things that happen in between may happen for a reason which is why sports are always fun to follow.  Could he be the Prince that was promised?  Either way this ride is one I will never forget.  Come on Torch, join the rest of us idiots and become a "worst fan in hockey".  I sure don't follow the Billikens because the A10 refs are so great in an incredibly run NCAA.  

drkelsey55 and dlarry like this

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

Going back to this post with Scott Stevens and everything in between.  The reason the Scott Stevens incident happened was because we lost him originally as part of compensation for signing Brendan Shanahan when he was a restricted free agent.  The Blues talked to Stevens before free agency started which was the rule they broke but he would’ve been on the Blues already had they not signed Shanahan.  

Well the Blues ended up trading Shanahan for a young defenseman Chris Pronger (who was at last Billikens home game) who led to the Blues to a Presidents trophy but no cup appearance.

After the lockout, Bill Laurie wanted to make the team easier to sell so traded bigger contracts which meant Pronger was traded for Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka, and Doug Lynch which was a terrible trade.  

Eric Brewer was traded 6 years later for Brock Beukeboom, who never made the NHL, and a third round pick in the 2011 draft. 

The third-round pick in 2011 became…Jordan Binnington who has led the Blues to someplace they haven’t been in 49 years.  Sometimes things that happen in between may happen for a reason which is why sports are always fun to follow.  Could he be the Prince that was promised?  Either way this ride is one I will never forget.  Come on Torch, join the rest of us idiots and become a "worst fan in hockey".  I sure don't follow the Billikens because the A10 refs are so great in an incredibly run NCAA.  

+1

Initial wacko statements in this thread - but assume they were based upon the emotions of the moment.

As to the larger point, the NHL is not alone.   IMO, every professional league needs to change their rules on replay.  General rules should apply to keep games moving along, to prevent boring delays, to govern routine play and games.  For instance, I get we don't want replay to review each baseball pitch as to whether it was a ball or strike.  Same with every penalty or alleged penalty in the NFL, etc. - NFL challenge flag.   Unless the NFL changed things, not sure that everything can be reviewed even with a challenge flag.  College football I believe has automatic review in the last 2 minutes of the half/game?   College basketball also has similar review.At the same time, IMO, each league should allow challenge to everything (all aspects of the game) -- and be based upon "the good of the game".   This could be invoked possibly only by the league home office/replay guys?  Penalties could levied for excessive, baseless or unsuccessful challenges.   IMO, this would be better than given to the teams and possibly be limited to 1 or 2 per game. But every league should have the power to review the video and make the end result comply with their rules - for the good of the game.

5 hours ago, Basketbill said:

I am a bandwagon jumper no doubt. But:

Wolrd Series Champions    Check 

Super Bowl Champions      Check 

Stanley Cup Champions    TBD

NCAA Champions              _______   

I read this as a Boston fan and it fit perfectly what a year 

6 hours ago, Basketbill said:

I am a bandwagon jumper no doubt. But:

Wolrd Series Champions    Check 

Super Bowl Champions      Check 

Stanley Cup Champions    TBD

NCAA Champions              _______   

Let Go Blues, then back to Billikens regularly scheduled programming...

We already have the 1948 NIT Championship and also the 1958 NBA Championship.  Just need Lord Stanley's Cup.  LGB!!!

almaman likes this

4 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Bernie just had an article at 101.1 espn  detailing these same events. 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Bernie just had an article at 101.1 espn  detailing these same events. 

skip you give me trouble for watching sports center but then come back admitting you listen to bernie?   bernie, one of the all time billiken belitter's.

slufanskip likes this

Interesting thing I looked up:

The last time St. Louis was in the World Series, the Cardinals lost - - - to Boston

The last time St. Louis was in the Super Bowl, the Rams lost - - - to Boston

The last time St. Louis was in the Stanley Cup Finals, the Blues lost - - - to Boston

The last time St. Louis was in the NBA Finals, the Hawks lost - - - to Boston

majerus mojo likes this

23 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Not a great read here but one I enjoy, especially the title: Jayson Tatum Triggers Boston Fans By Celebrating Blues Win On Twitter

Sounds like a typical Boston reaction.  Idiots.  If there was a Cardinal player that grew up in Boston cheering for the Bruins, I would have no problem him pulling for them now.