OT: The NHL needs to fold

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Also heard that both refs and both linesmen are done for the playoffs.

I tried looking for the tweet but I could have sworn I saw a tweet that said referee Marc Joannette has worked in 7 Sharks games this playoffs and they are 6-1. Same ref has worked in 5 Blues games: 1-4 record. Pretty sure this is the same ref that was closest to the hand pass and also the ref that kicked the puck into the crease in Game 7 versus Dallas which led to their only goal and a tie game. Haven't been able to verify any of this though.

It has since been taken down but this was his Wikipedia page last night:

ref.jpg

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Also heard that both refs and both linesmen are done for the playoffs.

I tried looking for the tweet but I could have sworn I saw a tweet that said referee Marc Joannette has worked in 7 Sharks games this playoffs and they are 6-1. Same ref has worked in 5 Blues games: 1-4 record. Pretty sure this is the same ref that was closest to the hand pass and also the ref that kicked the puck into the crease in Game 7 versus Dallas which led to their only goal and a tie game. Haven't been able to verify any of this though.

It has since been taken down but this was his Wikipedia page last night:

ref.jpg

E233A422-90A3-402C-B0CA-B2B229D24989.png

6331E9BA-4652-4C5A-A462-9D843E998A66.png

6 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Clearly this guy has never met a Blackhawks fan. 75% of them had no clue that team existed prior to 2008. They're annoying, misinformed, self-entitled, and the best part: most of the ones you meet do not or have never lived in Chicagoland  but rather all of the podunk towns that surround it, and yet they still trash St. Louis. It's actually quite amusing.

Not going to argue the part about 2008, but do people in podunk towns not get to consider the closest pro teams their own? 

Littlebill likes this

17 hours ago, thetorch said:

I used to be a season ticket holder until Laurie sold off the team after the lockout.  Was a Huge hockey fan.  

After being away from hockey for a while I realized Blues fans are just the worst. Terribly run franchise for generations and the fans still pack it in. You realize the blues get screwed by the NHL because the franchise constantly breaks rules. They will forever be punished for it. The cup will never be won here. Give it up. NHL is a garage league. We should have an nba team instead of this joke of a franchise.

Take your Mr. Mic to the Al MacInnis statue tomorrow about this time and air it out. Maybe faithful just need a little enlightenment to show them the way.

2 hours ago, QUAILMAN said:

Not going to argue the part about 2008, but do people in podunk towns not get to consider the closest pro teams their own? 

For sure, no argument there. The point I was making, and I should have been more specific, was that I see a lot of these people that don't actually live in Chicago trash the city of St. Louis.  I saw one guy on Twitter who put his location as "Chicagolandish" (clearly, he did not actually live in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs), was too embarrassed to actually tell people where he was actually from (most likely some podunk town), yet was trashing the city of St. Louis. I found that amusing.

QUAILMAN likes this

19 hours ago, thetorch said:

I used to be a season ticket holder until Laurie sold off the team after the lockout.  Was a Huge hockey fan.  

After being away from hockey for a while I realized Blues fans are just the worst. Terribly run franchise for generations and the fans still pack it in. You realize the blues get screwed by the NHL because the franchise constantly breaks rules. They will forever be punished for it. The cup will never be won here. Give it up. NHL is a garage league. We should have an nba team instead of this joke of a franchise.

Is this sarcasm?  I honestly think it has to be right?  I have never heard somebody criticizing fans for sticking with their team despite multiple owners and managers, that they have no control over, doing a bad job.  Normally it's bandwagon fans that hop on when the team is winning because it's easy to be a fan then. 

Could you imagine if SLU fans had continue to "pack it in" from the mid 90s on and the Big East expanded and said, "Well your fans are terrible, Billiken basketball hasn't been run that great because of hires by the AD or President which they don't control but they just continue to support the team and pack the arena.  Billiken fans are just the worst."  

I guess you are also saying the NCAA is great because I would say they are garbage too.  Should I just give up my Billiken season tickets because the Blues have been closer to a cup then SLU has to a National Championship over my lifetime.  

"This franchise is such a joke.  The owners are all local and give back to the community through charity and volunteering including the owner going out and packing food for the poor himself.  The players and alumni show up at Children's hospital to brighten up kids suffering and invite them to games including paying for a big fan to go on road trips with the teams.  What a joke of a franchise." 

This has to be a sarcastic post right?  

almaman likes this

10 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I really can't decide which call was the most egregious and pathetic.

1. This was a reactionary call based on the fact that there was blood on the ice and Pavelski was injured. This play was also non-reviewable. At WORST, it should have been a 2 minute minor. Pushing during the scrums that follow a faceoff is standard practice in hockey and (not to victim blame here) but Pavelski should have been paying attention. He was caught off balance which explained his awkward fall. Simply put, the Sharks should have been eliminated in the first round.

Image result for vegas golden knights sharks penalty gif

2. The goal (which would have tied the game at 2 IN GAME 7!) was called good by the refs on the ice. As such, there needed to be indisputable evidence that the Avs' player was offside in order to overturn it and render a "no goal" call. Not only was there no such indisputable evidence to overturn the call, it sure looks as though his (Landeskog's) left skate is still on the blue line (which would count as tagging up on the play). Of course instead of it remaining 2-2, it became 3-1 Sharks just a minute or two after the call reversal. Sharks would obviously go on to win game 7.

Image result for Avs sharks offside

3. I don't need to explain last night's S show to anyone on this board. It's embarrassing. It's sad. Again, how can you allow plays like these to remain non-reviewable when there is so much on the line? As cliche as it sounds, the Blues need to forget about last night and keep playing their style of hockey. The Blues of the past would have folded under adversity against the Jets and Stars. This team is different. Tie it up on Friday, steal one in San Jose, and come back to clinch the Western Conference!

NHL officiating has always been subpar but to get it wrong this many times in one playoff season, and to the benefit of ONE TEAM is inexcusable. I'm not going as far as to suggest a conspiracy here, but it's painfully obvious the NHL/tv networks would like the Sharks in the SCF.  I'd expect to see some changes over the next few seasons. If not, shame on the NHL.

I will say, I sure loved the Golden Knights tweet last night. Avs. Your move...

High-quality post, thanks for the screengrabs. Also Bills06 the comparison to SLU and the NCAA has me in tears 10/10 

Bruins-Blues smells like a 7-game series (I know nothing about hockey)

22 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

For sure, no argument there. The point I was making, and I should have been more specific, was that I see a lot of these people that don't actually live in Chicago trash the city of St. Louis.  I saw one guy on Twitter who put his location as "Chicagolandish" (clearly, he did not actually live in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs), was too embarrassed to actually tell people where he was actually from (most likely some podunk town), yet was trashing the city of St. Louis. I found that amusing.

So you’re pissed about one guy on Twitter?

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

So you’re pissed about one guy on Twitter?

Pissed at one guy?! I was merely providing an example of one of the numerous bandwagon Hawks fans I have encountered over the past 10 years. Apparently that wasn't obvious enough. And pissed? My suggestion to you would be to reread the very last sentence in my post you quoted.

BAB was there at the Shark Tank yesterday. It was awesome. I was safely seated next to a big “Enforcer” from Bridgeton, MO via Castro Valley, CA. Blues were dominant, the best I’ve ever seen them play. 

Blues need one more win to reach The Promised Land for the first time since 1970. Finish off the Sharks in Tuesday night’s Game 6 in STL. Don’t be like the Mathenaged Cardinals losing Game 5 of the ‘12 NLCS at home in STL to SF when the Cards had the Giants on the brink of elimination.

It was good get the win at the Shark Tank after the last 2 Billiken NCAA games there ended in disappointment.

up early for the daily exercise and while jogging on a treadmill watching sportscenter.   i was expecting tarasenko's penalty shot on the "top ten".   nope.  i was expecting a big analyse of the game from barry melrose   nope.   not a word mentioned for the entire show.   no doubt the coasts dont want to talk about the blues.  

On 5/16/2019 at 8:28 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

On 5/17/2019 at 10:36 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Pissed at one guy?! I was merely providing an example of one of the numerous bandwagon Hawks fans I have encountered over the past 10 years. Apparently that wasn't obvious enough. And pissed? My suggestion to you would be to reread the very last sentence in my post you quoted.

These are both good takes. I have no issue with people from outlying areas adopting a city’s teams as their own, but I’ve also encountered quite a few people from various areas in Illinois that are not Chicago, and have never lived in Chicago, adopt Chicago as “their city”, and use that to slam other cities like St. Louis. Nothing against Bloomington, Peoria, Springfield, or LaSalle, IL, , but you don’t get to claim Chicago as your city.

49 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

up early for the daily exercise and while jogging on a treadmill watching sportscenter.   i was expecting tarasenko's penalty shot on the "top ten".   nope.  i was expecting a big analyse of the game from barry melrose   nope.   not a word mentioned for the entire show.   no doubt the coasts dont want to talk about the blues.  

Barry Melrose is a nobody on a network that doesn't even pretend to like hockey. 

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

BAB was there at the Shark Tank yesterday. It was awesome. I was safely seated next to a big “Enforcer” from Bridgeton, MO via Castro Valley, CA. Blues were dominant, the best I’ve ever seen them play. 

Blues need one more win to reach The Promised Land for the first time since 1970. Finish off the Sharks in Tuesday night’s Game 6 in STL. Don’t be like the Mathenaged Cardinals losing Game 5 of the ‘12 NLCS at home in STL to SF when the Cards had the Giants on the brink of elimination.

It was good get the win at the Shark Tank after the last 2 Billiken NCAA games there ended in disappointment.

A good friend of mine forwarded the text from her uncle who was at the game. He's lived in the Bay area for a few decades now. Said the fans during and after the game were horrendous. Dropping F bombs on Blues fans, even those  with little kids. Guy next to him (Blues fan who has traveled to a lot of opposing team's arenas) said it was the worst he's ever seen. I'm sure some of that was a result of the absolute BEAT DOWN the Blues handed the Sharks.

Sounds like you escaped relatively unscathed, BAB. I guess that had a lot to do with your enforcer friend 😀

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

B Roy, you should know by now....ESPN only covers the NBA and NFL.

11 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

B Roy, you should know by now....ESPN only covers the NBA and NFL.

as i admitted last week, i am just a casual hockey fan that is sucked into the blues run this year.   that said, i religiously watch sportscenter every morning from 5 am to at least 6am and i see hockey highlights and inclusion of the top 10 for nhl stuff all the time as well as barry melrose commentary on what they are showing.   

it just seems to me that  yestereday, the western conference finals would have been worthy of some sportscenter time.   especially since they spent about 10 minutes on some sort of strong man feature, (i turned the sound onto the next tv to watch national news until that nonsense was over).   

i say this is more of a slap at the midwest by espn than a slap at nhl hockey.  even the announcers for the game yesterday were so biased for the sharks.   how many times did they play that first rush by the sharks hitting the right pipe and the announcers pining "how different the game might have been if only......"  of course they failed to mention the blues did the same just a few minutes later.   

the left and right coast media strongly desire the boston vs san francisco (san jose) matchup.   pisses me off and i hope it is pissing the blues off as well.  

ESPN takes care of its broadcast partners first and foremost. The NHL isn't one of them. The NBA, NFL, MLB, and college football are. That part is not complicated.

Because the NHL is a tertiary concern for ESPN, it also means there isn't a strong bias toward any particular market(s) at the network level. If there are biases on display, it's all on whichever talking head is given a few minutes to discuss the NHL playoffs. Aside from Melrose (NY-based, coached in LA), I'm not sure who that even is these days.

Depending on the sport, ESPN's geographic bias can shift. For example, if you're a college football fan in the deep south, you're well covered. No coastal bias for that sport. In baseball, it's all about the NY-Boston rivalry and cascades from there. Their NFL coverage actually seems pretty spread out to me, but then again, I've completely stopped watching football. Their NBA coverage seems to be more star-driven than market-driven.

Leagues and networks generally prefer larger markets to go deeper in the playoffs, for obvious reasons. More people, more fans, more eyes, more money. I don't think there is a conspiracy to push these teams through; it's just a subtle, ever-present bias driven by basic market dynamics. For what it's worth, STL is the 20th largest metro area in the US; San Jose is 35th if you separate it from Oakland and SF; combined, the Bay Area is a top-10 market.

I've pretty much given up on letting these things bother me. If networks and leagues decide to give more coverage to teams in markets that have more people, I get it. STL has strong regional coverage of its sports, and we have more choice than ever before.

Besides, what would St. Louis sports fans have if they couldn't have a chip on their shoulders at all times about every perceived slight, whether real or non-existent?

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

A good friend of mine forwarded the text from her uncle who was at the game. He's lived in the Bay area for a few decades now. Said the fans during and after the game were horrendous. Dropping F bombs on Blues fans, even those  with little kids. Guy next to him (Blues fan who has traveled to a lot of opposing team's arenas) said it was the worst he's ever seen. I'm sure some of that was a result of the absolute BEAT DOWN the Blues handed the Sharks.

Sounds like you escaped relatively unscathed, BAB. I guess that had a lot to do with your enforcer friend 😀

I didn’t think the Sharks fans in my area and walking to and from the Shark Tank were that bad. There was no trash talk at all walking in and out. Some isolated Shark fans uttered some F Bombs at the Blues and tried (flailed and failed IMO) to rip STL after all was lost for SJ and the score was 5-0 STL, but a group of us Blues fans, sporadically seated, brought some of it on by chanting “Let’s Go Blues!” 😂 

One misguided Sharks fan cited STL eats at Hardee’s (so what’s the issue), perhaps not realizing Carl’s Junior is the West Coast version of same. Another bellowed that STL doesn’t have a football team.

Sign of the day, while I was walking out at the atrium, a Blues fan was holding up a sign, “Hands Off Our Cup.”

Another sidebar, black on one side, white on the other, waving towels greeted us at our seats. When waved en masse, they look like orcas, killer whales, wrong species. I’m told orcas actually eat Sharks (like the Blues are doing).

Let’s finish off the finned ones tomorrow night!