OT: The NHL needs to fold

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a season ticket holder until Laurie sold off the team after the lockout.  Was a Huge hockey fan.  

After being away from hockey for a while I realized Blues fans are just the worst. Terribly run franchise for generations and the fans still pack it in. You realize the blues get screwed by the NHL because the franchise constantly breaks rules. They will forever be punished for it. The cup will never be won here. Give it up. NHL is a garage league. We should have an nba team instead of this joke of a franchise.

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

I used to be a season ticket holder until Laurie sold off the team after the lockout.  Was a Huge hockey fan.  

After being away from hockey for a while I realized Blues fans are just the worst. Terribly run franchise for generations and the fans still pack it in. You realize the blues get screwed by the NHL because the franchise constantly breaks rules. They will forever be punished for it. The cup will never be won here. Give it up. NHL is a garage league. We should have an nba team instead of this joke of a franchise.

The NBA is just as a bad as the NHL. I'll just stick with college basketball and the Bills. And I know that it has been beaten to death, but I wish there was some way to revive the hockey program. 

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

I Fail to see how any of this has to do with blues fans

The NHL needs timely replay w/o limitations. Accountability.

One interesting head scratcher for me is that the Blues are now 0 for 7 this playoffs trying to score an empty net goal. The Blues finished 3rd worst in the NHL this season scoring empty net goals. 

8 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Don’t give up 5 goals and you win. 

Victim blaming.

They lost on a bad call. One of those five goals wouldn't have counted if it were called. And the rule is so bad and broken that they can't even review it.

They could've played better and avoided it. The Sharks could also have played better and won in regulation. None of that is the point. The game was decided unjustly, on an egregious non-call and refusal/inability to correct it. That's unacceptable.

slufan13, dlarry, Zink and 6 others like this

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Victim blaming.

They lost on a bad call. One of those five goals wouldn't have counted if it were called. And the rule is so bad and broken that they can't even review it.

They could've played better and avoided it. The Sharks could also have played better and won in regulation. None of that is the point. The game was decided unjustly, on an egregious non-call and refusal/inability to correct it. That's unacceptable.

Agreed. I've never agreed with the idea that had we done something different we'd have one so the poor calls don't matter. No one plays a perfect game and you don't have to. What you need to do is outpoint the other team and you should have the opportunity to do that  on an even playing field. And yes, bad calls happen and aren't going to be completely avoided but to deny that they sometimes alter the true or deserved outcome of the game is wrong. 

46 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Every season since the early 80s when I started following the team, Blues fans have the most ridiculous expectations for their team. Again, historically one of the worst run franchises in the NHL yet every year the expectations are the cup when they haven't gotten anywhere near it ever. Blues fans as a whole don't know hockey, in comparison to other longtime fan bases. WWE fans look down on Blues fans.

This situation has everything to do with the fans. You've been supporting a franchise who has been an outcast in their league for decades. From Scott Stevens to this incident and everything in between. It's no coincidence. This is what happens when you support a cheating inept franchise in a corrupt league. You'll get screwed every year. Yet every year you are shocked when it happens again.

The NBA is run 1000 times better than the NHL. 

14 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Every season since the early 80s when I started following the team, Blues fans have the most ridiculous expectations for their team. Again, historically one of the worst run franchises in the NHL yet every year the expectations are the cup when they haven't gotten anywhere near it ever. Blues fans as a whole don't know hockey, in comparison to other longtime fan bases. WWE fans look down on Blues fans.

This situation has everything to do with the fans. You've been supporting a franchise who has been an outcast in their league for decades. From Scott Stevens to this incident and everything in between. It's no coincidence. This is what happens when you support a cheating inept franchise in a corrupt league. You'll get screwed every year. Yet every year you are shocked when it happens again.

I mean, Im not even sure how to respond to this.   I guess where im confused is lets say all the things you said is true, as a fan, I should not expect to make a run ever?  Cubs fans are sure glad this isnt true. 

The San Jose Sharks have now been the beneficiaries of three key calls that have aided and abetted their playoff run to date:

1.  The phantom major penalty called on Vegas, involving Joe Pavelski, in the Third Period of Game 7 of the first series.  The San Jose season was at the figurative death's door when that manna appeared.

2.  The off-sides that negated a Colorado game tying goal in Game 7 of the second series;

3.  Last night's blown no-call on a clear hand pass by  Timo Meier in the same play sequence as the game winning "goal" in overtime.  Meier even received an "assist" for the violation.  Last night's blown call has gone international, literally, was the lead story on the sports report on CJAD 800 AM in Montreal this morning.

30 minutes ago, thetorch said:

What a bizarre take.  

42 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Ur legitimately a fuokin idiot. 

ACE likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Sick..

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The San Jose Sharks have now been the beneficiaries of three key calls that have aided and abetted their playoff run to date:

1.  The phantom major penalty called on Vegas, involving Joe Pavelski, in the Third Period of Game 7 of the first series.  The San Jose season was at the figurative death's door when that manna appeared.

2.  The off-sides that negated a Colorado game tying goal in Game 7 of the second series;

3.  Last night's blown no-call on a clear hand pass by  Timo Meier in the same play sequence as the game winning "goal" in overtime.  Meier even received an "assist" for the violation.  Last night's blown call has gone international, literally, was the lead story on the sports report on CJAD 800 AM in Montreal this morning.

I really can't decide which call was the most egregious and pathetic.

1. This was a reactionary call based on the fact that there was blood on the ice and Pavelski was injured. This play was also non-reviewable. At WORST, it should have been a 2 minute minor. Pushing during the scrums that follow a faceoff is standard practice in hockey and (not to victim blame here) but Pavelski should have been paying attention. He was caught off balance which explained his awkward fall. Simply put, the Sharks should have been eliminated in the first round.

Image result for vegas golden knights sharks penalty gif

2. The goal (which would have tied the game at 2 IN GAME 7!) was called good by the refs on the ice. As such, there needed to be indisputable evidence that the Avs' player was offside in order to overturn it and render a "no goal" call. Not only was there no such indisputable evidence to overturn the call, it sure looks as though his (Landeskog's) left skate is still on the blue line (which would count as tagging up on the play). Of course instead of it remaining 2-2, it became 3-1 Sharks just a minute or two after the call reversal. Sharks would obviously go on to win game 7.

Image result for Avs sharks offside

3. I don't need to explain last night's S show to anyone on this board. It's embarrassing. It's sad. Again, how can you allow plays like these to remain non-reviewable when there is so much on the line? As cliche as it sounds, the Blues need to forget about last night and keep playing their style of hockey. The Blues of the past would have folded under adversity against the Jets and Stars. This team is different. Tie it up on Friday, steal one in San Jose, and come back to clinch the Western Conference!

NHL officiating has always been subpar but to get it wrong this many times in one playoff season, and to the benefit of ONE TEAM is inexcusable. I'm not going as far as to suggest a conspiracy here, but it's painfully obvious the NHL/tv networks would like the Sharks in the SCF.  I'd expect to see some changes over the next few seasons. If not, shame on the NHL.

I will say, I sure loved the Golden Knights tweet last night. Avs. Your move...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">🙃 <a href="https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@StLouisBlues</a> <a href="https://t.co/nx9RAMUmrF">pic.twitter.com/nx9RAMUmrF</a></p>&mdash; Vegas Golden Knights (@GoldenKnights) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1128872773936222210?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 16, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Just curious, maybe I'm just uninformed but can you lay out all the cheating?  No sarcasm. I seriously don't know. 

And don't  the Blues have one of the longest streaks of consecutive years making the playoffs? You say they haven't gotten anywhere near the cup ever? What qualifies as near the cup? 

I'm not that big of a hockey fan but your take seems clearly over the top

at best i could be labeled a "casual" blues fan.   i know enough to probably hold a 2 minute conversation.   during the playoffs, i watch when i can for only the blues once they are out, i dont follow a bit.  

i was switching back and forth last night between the blues, the braves (cardinals) and the bucks/raptors.   most of my time was probably on the blues.   to end the game like it did really made me feel cheated and p!ssed off i even watched.   definitely wished i would have watched more of the greek freak in hindsight.

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Clearly this guy has never met a Blackhawks fan. 75% of them had no clue that team existed prior to 2008. They're annoying, misinformed, self-entitled, and the best part: most of the ones you meet do not or have never lived in Chicagoland  but rather all of the podunk towns that surround it, and yet they still trash St. Louis. It's actually quite amusing.

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Just curious, maybe I'm just uninformed but can you lay out all the cheating?  No sarcasm. I seriously don't know. 

And don't  the Blues have one of the longest streaks of consecutive years making the playoffs? You say they haven't gotten anywhere near the cup ever? What qualifies as near the cup? 

I'm not that big of a hockey fan but your take seems clearly over the top

This is just a wild guess but perhaps he is talking about when the Blues offered contracts to restricted free agents Brendan Shanahan (NJ) and Scott Stevens (Caps) in different years. Later, the Blues offered Stevens another free agent contract after he had left the Blues for NJ. In the latter incident it was ruled the Blues contacted Stevens before the free agency period began. There was nothing wrong with the first two situations. 

It could be about something else entirely but that would be the first thing that comes to mind. 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

at best i could be labeled a "casual" blues fan.   i know enough to probably hold a 2 minute conversation.   during the playoffs, i watch when i can for only the blues once they are out, i dont follow a bit.  

i was switching back and forth last night between the blues, the braves (cardinals) and the bucks/raptors.   most of my time was probably on the blues.   to end the game like it did really made me feel cheated and p!ssed off i even watched.   definitely wished i would have watched more of the greek freak in hindsight.

I was numb after that Blues game, said nary a word.  But man, that was bad.

The Blues should have won in Regulation.

I'm out here in the East Bay with all these lousy non-fans, whose #1 priority is the Golden State Warriors.  It was all I could do to get the establishment to put the hockey game on the screen at dinner last night. The Sharks are way down the list.  They do have the Dot Com following in San Jose and Silicon Valley.  

The Bay Area is a big TV market, #5 in some studies depending upon what cities and counties are counted.  Follow the money, as always.

I am old enough to remember when the NBA Hawks were still in St. Louis.  Given the explosion of the NBA, it's too bad the Hawks were sold to out of town interests in Atlanta.  St. Louis should be big enough, with nearly 3 million people, to support both the NBA and NHL.  I also remember when the fledgling Blues made the Stanley Cup Finals their first 3 years when the NHL put all 6 expansion teams in the same division.  It's been 51 long years, and 49 since the Blues made their last Stanley Cup Final.  Will we ever get to sip from Lord Stanley's Cup?

What bothers me most about the no call is that at least one of the officials saw it but didn’t have the balls to over turn the goal.

During the conference you can see the ref making the hand gesture of “he pushed it like this” he was obviously showing the other officials what he saw. It was the exact motion the the hand pass was made with.

That tells me the official saw it but was afraid to make a the call.

The Blues screwed up but at least that was their own doing. That final goal was a gift from the NHL. 

The handling of it by the league after it was over was just as bad. 

billiken_roy likes this