• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Jimmy Bell: 7'0

Madani Diarra: 6'10

We are going to be huge. Not saying that they are going to have enormous impacts their freshmen year, but you can't say they won't at least significantly influence the way other teams have to game plan for us offensively. Twin towers are gonna be swatting plenty of shots for the next 4 years. 

these 2 make our possible 5 on the court choices higher than anytime since I've been following/suffering. here's one that pops in my mind; Yuri, JG, and our 3 bigs. Just typing that made me visualize Yuri tossing to JG at the rim. Only 1/2 year to wait.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

these 2 make our possible 5 on the court choices higher than anytime since I've been following/suffering. here's one that pops in my mind; Yuri, JG, and our 3 bigs. Just typing that made me visualize Yuri tossing to JG at the rim. Only 1/2 year to wait.

Just from what I've seen but if Yuri is going to toss to someone at the rim I'd rather see Hargrove

Compton likes this

3 hours ago, ARon said:

I don’t care if either freshman big takes a single shot. 

Clear out space for French to work and open lanes for Goodwin, Thatch, and Hargrove to drive.  That needs to be the job on offense in year one.

And clear out space for Javonte Perkins as well...

Excited to have Diarra.  The highlight videos look promising.  Ideally he can get healthy and stay healthy and Ford came up with an under the radar great recruit.  There is a temptation to look at his downside as Obi Ikeakor part 2 given the ACL/knee injury history.  However, I believe Obi tore his ACL prior to his senior year and was still recovering when he came to SLU.  IMO the transition to college while trying to make his way back from an injury was probably a lot more difficult than the situation for Diarra who has already been back on the court since his injury.  Rehab / sports medicine has come a long way in treating ACL injuries in the last 15 years or so as well.

Unrelated, does anyone else read the topic of this thread as saying that Madani has been put into a mental institution?

8 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Excited to have Diarra.  The highlight videos look promising.  Ideally he can get healthy and stay healthy and Ford came up with an under the radar great recruit.  There is a temptation to look at his downside as Obi Ikeakor part 2 given the ACL/knee injury history.  However, I believe Obi tore his ACL prior to his senior year and was still recovering when he came to SLU.  IMO the transition to college while trying to make his way back from an injury was probably a lot more difficult than the situation for Diarra who has already been back on the court since his injury.  Rehab / sports medicine has come a long way in treating ACL injuries in the last 15 years or so as well.

Unrelated, does anyone else read the topic of this thread as saying that Madani has been put into a mental institution?

yes

The "highlight" video is unimpressive. to say the least.  Of course, Playboy centerfolds don't look the same in real life as they do with the airbrush.  He banked quite a few shots in that looked kind of like prayers to me.  His one dunk was on a breakaway and he showed very little lift in the paint.  Maybe the knee injury holding him down.  But, you can't teach heights ... of course, I think I said the same thing about John Manning.

My question is this ...... with two arguable big men "projects" on the roster in Diarra and Bell, who I sour big man coach that is teaching them the ins and outs of D1 basketball.

28 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The "highlight" video is unimpressive. to say the least.  Of course, Playboy centerfolds don't look the same in real life as they do with the airbrush.  He banked quite a few shots in that looked kind of like prayers to me.  His one dunk was on a breakaway and he showed very little lift in the paint.  Maybe the knee injury holding him down.  But, you can't teach heights ... of course, I think I said the same thing about John Manning.

My question is this ...... with two arguable big men "projects" on the roster in Diarra and Bell, who I sour big man coach that is teaching them the ins and outs of D1 basketball.

"maybe"???? of course the knee and brace were holding him back.......the videos are almost meaningless......sometimes it takes two years to recover from an ACL injury......

The reason he is available for a mid to semi-high major program like SLU to sign late in the spring is because he has been injured for effectively his last two seasons. With his size and body, if he hadn't been injured he most certainly would have had multiple major program offers last fall. We should have little to no expectations for him next season, but the upside opportunity is significant, and we should embrace these kind of opportunities that have the potential for high upside for both SLU and the player. 

3 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

"maybe"???? of course the knee and brace were holding him back.......the videos are almost meaningless......sometimes it takes two years to recover from an ACL injury......

He played half of a season with a brace that went from his ankle to his thigh. It is kind of impressive he played at all. The question is what is the prospect for a full recovery in the next year or two?

4 minutes ago, davidnark said:

He played half of a season with a brace that went from his ankle to his thigh. It is kind of impressive he played at all. The question is what is the prospect for a full recovery in the next year or two?

I would hope SLU's coaches got a pretty good medical report and are comfortable with what they heard.

I'm guessing Diarra will sign today, the last day of the signing period.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I would hope SLU's coaches got a pretty good medical report and are comfortable with what they heard.

I'm guessing Diarra will sign today, the last day of the signing period.

Agreed. Can't imagine they'd not have  consultations with his doctors and trainers. Wonder if we had our own medical / training staff check him out on his visit. 

All I can say is that he can move and do some jumping with the brace. I have no idea how long he will have to wear it, and we will find absolutely nothing about his injuries due to HIPAA. This does not mean he cannot play as is after a bit of training with the team. All it means is that as long as he wears the brace he will not be a real star for the team, but he can have a role in play at times.

27 minutes ago, Old guy said:

All I can say is that he can move and do some jumping with the brace. I have no idea how long he will have to wear it, and we will find absolutely nothing about his injuries due to HIPAA. This does not mean he cannot play as is after a bit of training with the team. All it means is that as long as he wears the brace he will not be a real star for the team, but he can have a role in play at times.

You are an old guy. Remember Joe Allen of Bradley. They guy was a cripple I believe he wore a brace.Had a terrible leg. He was an absolute star. 

Joe Allen blew out his left knee freshman year, and got a staph infection in it when they operated. His brace went from mid calf to mid thigh, and was a monster. Even playing on one leg, and only 6’6”, He was the one college center  that taught Lew Alcindor lessons in a game. He dominated Lew just like he did the MVC.

if either of these guys could do half what of what Joe did at Bradley in the 60s, we would be in the sweet 16 next year, and elite 8 in two years. Joe was nails and steel I beams on the court, and a superior gentleman off it.

When I was 66 I was playing in a rec league in FL when a fireplug shaped guard who got to the final cut with the Celtics 45 years before drove the lane & hit my knee.  I tried to keep playing but the knee buckled whenever I changed directions so I quit & went to the orthopedist & he scheduled an MRI.  I needed a new acl & he remarked that it was the first time he had seen this injury in a Medicare patient.  I returned to SL & got a referral from my  CRNA daughter to a young orthopedist she had assisted often in surgery.  I met him & gave him the disc containing the MRI & he said that most people my age just stop playing sports but if I wanted, he could replace my ACL with a cadaver’s & get me back on the court.  He did it outpatient at a surgicenter & I went home with a whole leg brace, crutches & a big vial of oxicoton. I quit taking those the 2nd day & did 6 weeks of rehab at SSM.  Then I took a  Vermont Bike Tour trip from Prague to Vienna & returned to SL.  I started back at the gym shooting, running & lifting.  My surgery was on May 1 & I played my first game of pickup August 15 with great trepidation but all was well.  I’m now 73 & still play pickup - full court in FL & half court here at the Sunset Hills Community Center twice a week. I have not worn a brace since the injury & have no limitations.  When I hear about it taking a year to recover from this type of injury, I think those are situations where they are trying to repair a tear & keep the original ACL.

I am extremely optimistic about this recruit. 

If TF reads the board, the orthopedist’s name is Jody Jachna 👍

Each ACL injury is unique.  They are often associated with MCL tear (usually heals with rest), meniscal tear, usually medial, which can be bad depending on extent, bone contusions of femur and tibia with possible impaction, rarely with PCL tear (bad injury).  Grafts are from middle third of patellar tendon, othe tendons or ligaments, or cadaver.  I don’t think surgeons attempt a primary repair of ACL.  Results can vary and rehab time depends on extent of injury.  Finally, not all surgeons are equal.

8 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I think this sophomore tape, before injury, shows more athleticism.  Hopefully he gets back to that and better, given 2 years older and more experienced.   

considering he is 2years older/more mature and experienced.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:19 AM, Billiken Rich said:

Jolly was in excellent shape.  He just had no discernible talent for the game of basketball.  

Grape lady was in grape shape.  She even got out of the wash basin.

I wouldn't offer her or Jolly a D-1 scholarship.  Both of them too sh!tty at basketball.

Pistol and Tonka like this

2 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

This slays me EVERY. DAMN. TIME.

I shouldn’t laugh but I can’t help myself my apologies to the grape lady.