3 Point Line Possibly Moving to International Line

The NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee has proposed moving the 3-point line back to the international basketball distance, more than one foot farther than the current line.

The international 3-point line is 22 feet, 1¾ inches, while the current 3-point line is 20 feet, 9 inches. It was moved from 19 feet, 9 inches prior to the 2008-09 season.

The proposal must next be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on June 5. If passed, it would go into effect next season in Division I and, because of potential financial impact, the 2020-21 season for Divisions II and III.

"After gathering information over the last two seasons, we feel it's time to make the change," said Colorado coach Tad Boyle, the committee chair. "Freedom of movement in the game remains important, and we feel this will open up the game. We believe this will remove some of the congestion on the way to the basket."

The 2018 and 2019 National Invitation Tournaments used the international 3-point line among experimental rules.

According to the committee, moving the 3-point line back would clear the lane for more drives to the rim, make 3-point shots more challenging and therefore less prevalent, and improve offensive spacing.

"The time is right because it gets college guys close to the NBA line," Villanovacoach Jay Wright told NCAA.com. "The shooting has improved enough that moving back is warranted. The line back will create better spacing and help with freedom of movement."

The committee also recommended four other proposals:

• Resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds after offensive rebounds;

• Players being assessed Flagrant 2 technical fouls and ejections for using derogatory language about an opponent's race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability;

• Allowing coaches to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half and overtime;

• Conducting instant replay review for goaltending or basket interference calls in the final two minutes of the second half and overtime.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I can't recall from when he played us, is Lewis a decent 3 pt shooter? Be a luxury to have two snipers. 

Career 36% three point shooter.  On the Billiken Top 3 Shooter List, his % would be between Roby and McCall.

I would think that any changes in the rules, either to make them more similar or more dissimilar to the NBA and International (the probable public rationale for a  change is likely to make them standardized with the NBA or International rules, or, on the other side, to produce a faster game that will be better liked be  the public) will give advantages to some teams and disadvantages to other teams. The teams that get the advantage will fight fiercely to maintain their own advantage for as long as they can or are allowed to do so. Given the degree of politicization of the NCAA, I would suspect that any change in rules will be made for the benefit of the blue bloods. Any non blue blood team that can derive advantage out of the change will be in much better shape than they were before. I hope we are.

42 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This proposed change will not decrease the number of 3s being taken.  Players commonly shoot from well behind the line anyway.

Agreed. I doubt it will change the game that much. As for reducing the crowds on drives there's really only one thing that works effectively- shoot well from the outside. We certainly know that well enough. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

I would think that any changes in the rules, either to make them more similar or more dissimilar to the NBA and International (the probable public rationale for a  change is likely to make them standardized with the NBA or International rules, or, on the other side, to produce a faster game that will be better liked be  the public) will give advantages to some teams and disadvantages to other teams. The teams that get the advantage will fight fiercely to maintain their own advantage for as long as they can or are allowed to do so. Given the degree of politicization of the NCAA, I would suspect that any change in rules will be made for the benefit of the blue bloods. Any non blue blood team that can derive advantage out of the change will be in much better shape than they were before. I hope we are.

50-50

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

This proposed change will not decrease the number of 3s being taken.  Players commonly shoot from well behind the line anyway.

The number of 3s being taken may remain the same, the issue is the number of those shots that will actually go in. Some players can shoot and score for much farther back, those will not be affected. The ones that will be affected are the ones that have marginal 3 pt scoring records, which I believe may contribute the majority of the 3 point shots per season. Whichever way it turns out to be we will see with our own eyes as the season progresses.

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The number of 3s being taken may remain the same, the issue is the number of those shots that will actually go in. Some players can shoot and score for much farther back, those will not be affected. The ones that will be affected are the ones that have marginal 3 pt scoring records, which I believe may contribute the majority of the 3 point shots per season. Whichever way it turns out to be we will see with our own eyes as the season progresses.

You don't make a rule change based on how it will affect a marginal 3 point shooter.  The marginal shooter will probably very well still take the shot with the line moved back slightly.  This rule change will have little impact on the number of 3s taken.

Cheeseman, sometimes I have thought it is time for you to take remedial reading courses. I agreed it will not affect the number of 3 pt. shots taken, but it is likely to affect the number of 3 point shots going in. Do you understand the difference, or is this another example that just because you say so or imply so, NOW IN MAY 2019 WHICH IS ABOUT 1/2 A YEAR BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS, it means that the TRUTH FROM GOD HAS BEEN REVEALED. You believe you know exactly that the % 3 point scoring will remain unchanged after a rules change 1/2 a year before the season starts and without confirmation that the rule change will take place! As a matter of fact, I do think you need to take remedial reading.

44 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Cheeseman, sometimes I have thought it is time for you to take remedial reading courses. I agreed it will not affect the number of 3 pt. shots taken, but it is likely to affect the number of 3 point shots going in. Do you understand the difference, or is this another example that just because you say so or imply so, NOW IN MAY 2019 WHICH IS ABOUT 1/2 A YEAR BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS, it means that the TRUTH FROM GOD HAS BEEN REVEALED. You believe you know exactly that the % 3 point scoring will remain unchanged after a rules change 1/2 a year before the season starts and without confirmation that the rule change will take place! As a matter of fact, I do think you need to take remedial reading.

Given today's athlete and how much time they devote to their sport, they'll adjust. You might get a slight dip in 3 FGM %, but eventually it will bounce back. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I am sorry you have such an inferiority complex.  The number of 3 point shots taken not decreasing from this proposed change does not mean that more will be missed.  72 is correct, the players will adjust.  This is a posting board where people give their thoughts and impressions - no one ever believes that they are God.

I’m pretty sure this isn’t the first time they moved the line back.

Did the % go down when they moved it back last time? 

I bet it did. 

I would also wager it crept back up the next few years. 

Thats probably what will happen this time too.

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m pretty sure this isn’t the first time they moved the line back.

Did the % go down when they moved it back last time? 

I bet it did. 

I would also wager it crept back up the next few years. 

Thats probably what will happen this time too.

The NCAA's Southern Conference became the first collegiate conference to use the three-point rule, adopting a 22-foot (6.71 m) line for the 1980–81 season. Over the following five years, NCAA conferences differed in their use of the rule and distance required for a three-pointer. The line was as close as 17 ft 9 in (5.41 m) in the Atlantic Coast Conference, and as far away as 22 ft (6.71 m) in the Big Sky.

Used only in conference play for several years, it was adopted by the NCAA in April 1986 for the 1986–87 season at 19 ft 9 in (6.02 m) and was first used in the NCAA Tournament in March 1987. The NCAA lengthened the men's distance by a foot to 20 ft 9 in (6.32 m), effective with the 2008–09 season.

The NCAA is trying to keep the 3 pt shot from overtaking the game. This year the 3 pt  shot was taken 37.5% of the time up from the 16%  in 86-87, the first year it was adopted by the NCAA as a whole.  Coaches and players have figured out that a 3pt shot is worth 50% more than a regular shot...a high premium...probably too high . The 3 has gone from an oddity in the 80s to a game winning strategy in the last few years....from 1 shot in 6 attempted  to 2 of 5 (NCAA  has estimated that in the 2019-2020 season 40% of the shots would be 3s).  Since it is not practical to make the value of a 3 only 2.5 pts....the next best thing  to slow the growth is to lengthen the distance of the shot. This is what happened in 08-09.... when the distance was increased the number of shots dropped....for a while and then started to increase again....this time approaching 40%

.In the lab experiment for this change...this year's NIT ...the NCAA implemented the proposed change.  ...and the results were ugly....In the first round numbers dropped to 31% made (vs a normal 36%) and 35% attempt ratio of all shots  (vs 37.5%) Yet by the end of the tourney, the numbers had risen to 34% made  and 36% attempted.

Bottom line....When the 3 pt shot was instituted the "premium" of a 3pt shot (50% more ) was too much but it worked for a while. It took about 20 years for teams to figure that out....After the next increase in distance (08-09) it took another 6-7 years to figure it out again.  Is 22 ft 1 3/4 in the right distance?  Who knows...But the the NCAA knows that it will slow down the rate of increase on 3 pt attempts ....at least for now.

Old guy, AGB91, SLU_Lax and 1 other like this

On 5/11/2019 at 8:47 PM, Old guy said:

Glad we have Jimmerson (? spelling) in the team for next year.

OG, I thought you were too smart to misspell GJ's name!  It all over the Board including in the 2019 recruits thread.

11 hours ago, davidnark said:

Seems like a long-overdue move. I don't understand why there isn't a standard distance for the line for D1, International, and the NBA. 

I don’t know much about international play, but IMO the immense shooting talent difference between NBA and especially lower level NCAA warrants them having different 3 pt line distances.