Golf Tournamemt silent auction

Many of you may know that the annual golf tournament is on Tuesday, May 7 at St. Albans Country Club. I think a few spots are still available. It's always a fun day, with plenty of opportunities to interact with coaches and players. They all really appreciate everyone's support.

If you are interested, there is a silent auction that is going on until noon on Monday. It's a great way to support Billiken athletics. Plus, there are usually some real steals on unique items. Please check it out, bid on some items and help our favorite athletic program continue to improve. The link to access the auction is below (if I did it correctly)

https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/31922/auctions/64761?t=all

JMM28 likes this

49 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Some very cool stuff in here but honestly a lot is just underwhelming. Some of the packages including hotel and sh!t are nice but most of it is just random. They really should focus more on experiences like the Honorary Coaching Experience with Lisa Stone.

From having done some charity auctions on a much smaller scale, there is usually a fairly random assortment of stuff.  This is because you're trying to get donations for things in the silent auction and those donations can come from all over the place.  In this case, it looks like Anheuser Busch donated quite a few items, but there are others (Cardinals, Original Pancake House, etc.) where you can tell it likely came from a specific company.

My complaint is that I think the starting bids are too high on a lot of items.  Having bid on some items in the Golf auction in previous years, I know for a fact that they haven't sold a lot of items that do not get any bids.  They've asked me afterwards if I wanted to buy any of the items that no one bid on for the starting bid amount which I declined because they were too high in the first place (hence no bids).

I do think you're right that if you want to create bidding wars the "experience" items are more likely to do that because you can't get those anywhere else.  I'm not going to bid more than $X for the Raging Rivers tickets for example because I know I can just go buy my own Raging Rivers tickets for $Y with the usual discounts they offer.

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

From having done some charity auctions on a much smaller scale, there is usually a fairly random assortment of stuff.  This is because you're trying to get donations for things in the silent auction and those donations can come from all over the place.  In this case, it looks like Anheuser Busch donated quite a few items, but there are others (Cardinals, Original Pancake House, etc.) where you can tell it likely came from a specific company.

My complaint is that I think the starting bids are too high on a lot of items.  Having bid on some items in the Golf auction in previous years, I know for a fact that they haven't sold a lot of items that do not get any bids.  They've asked me afterwards if I wanted to buy any of the items that no one bid on for the starting bid amount which I declined because they were too high in the first place (hence no bids).

I do think you're right that if you want to create bidding wars the "experience" items are more likely to do that because you can't get those anywhere else.  I'm not going to bid more than $X for the Raging Rivers tickets for example because I know I can just go buy my own Raging Rivers tickets for $Y with the usual discounts they offer.

This is what I was getting at. Thank you.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, billikenfan05 said:

Some very cool stuff in here but honestly a lot is just underwhelming. Some of the packages including hotel and sh!t are nice but most of it is just random. They really should focus more on experiences like the Honorary Coaching Experience with Lisa Stone.

We gave some thoughts on the auction items for the latest podcast, go check out our thread to listen to us go in-depth with our thoughts about the items.

5 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

I ended up winning a few items. Not sure if they will contact me but there was no way to pay for them online through the auction system.  

Having won items in past auctions, someone from the AD usually reaches out to you via a phone call within a week or so.