Asst Coach Van Macon

Ibruce

i am convinced he has his coach, but ford does not want him tied down by ncaa summer guidelines and restrictions.   as long as we have a coach by first practice that is fine. 

brianstl, moytoy12, Zink and 1 other like this

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am convinced he has his coach, but ford does not want him tied down by ncaa summer guidelines and restrictions.   as long as we have a coach by first practice that is fine. 

This summer the evaluation periods for AAU ball was much more restricted than in the past.  It makes more sense than ever to hold off on officially hiring a guy until later.  

I believe Ford already has his guy lined up.  The guy was on a staff that was terminated and is still getting paid over the summer.  There is no need to make it official until the guy isn't getting paid anymore.  

cheeseman likes this

Just now, brianstl said:

This summer the evaluation periods for AAU ball were much more restricted than in the past.  It makes more sense than ever to hold off on officially hiring a guy until later.  

I believe Ford already has his guy lined up.  The guy was on a staff that was terminated and is still getting paid over the summer.  There is no need to make it official until the guy isn't getting paid anymore.  

Agree with you and @billiken_roy

I get the restrictive rules and that an unsigned coach is not bound by the rules but how does this work?

The unsigned coach is able to watch recruits much more?  Get more info?  Make better evaluations? But the recruits don't know the unsigned coach is with SLU?  We use this guy to evaluate and tell the other coaches to go see/speak with the targeted recruit? 

8 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I get the restrictive rules and that an unsigned coach is not bound by the rules but how does this work?

The unsigned coach is able to watch recruits much more?  Get more info?  Make better evaluations? But the recruits don't know the unsigned coach is with SLU?  We use this guy to evaluate and tell the other coaches to go see/speak with the targeted recruit? 

Higgins did it when he was going to KState.  He lined up a pretty good recruiting class and everybody knew what he was doing.  You ask a good question about how do the kids know what school the asst. coach is actually going to be at without it becoming common knowledge?  

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Higgins did it when he was going to KState.  He lined up a pretty good recruiting class and everybody knew what he was doing.  You ask a good question about how do the kids know what school the asst. coach is actually going to be at without it becoming common knowledge?  

I was going to add this. The AC was Frank Martin who had Beasley in his hip pocket and ready to sign with Lutz at Charlotte. 

So informal word gets out that the unsigned coach in the stands is really with SLU?  

If so, very sleezy and would seem to be easy to prove and easy for the NCAA to punish the school (should it so desire) should the competing programs complain. 

And if so, is this another discretionary infraction some “name” schools may get away with but not others?

11 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

basically there are no rules.   they are free to act in any way they want towards a recruit. 

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

So informal word gets out that the unsigned coach in the stands is really with SLU?  

If so, very sleezy and would seem to be easy to prove and easy for the NCAA to punish the school (should it so desire) should the competing programs complain. 

And if so, is this another discretionary infraction some “name” schools may get away with but not others?

Unsigned coach isn't getting paid and is spending their own money to travel. Schools usually do it up through the spring AAU season to be able to watch the non live sessions. It's not new or crazy. Doesn't really affect much outside of allowing more chances to see recruits play in person more.