Asst Coach Van Macon

Ibruce

14 hours ago, willie said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the young suits on the bench got promoted. Maybe his nephew. There is something about promoting from within in any organization. 

-nor would I

-thanks Coach Macon, good luck to you

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being promoted is fine - all it does however is make the one who doesn't get it decide to move on of course if you hire from outside then the same thing happens.  Ford will find an East Coast guy and he may have to give him the AC job to lure him - who knows.

1 hour ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Any chance Robert Carpenter committed to the Bonnie's because he knew Van Macon was leaving SLU (as Van Macon was likely his main recruiter)?

More likely the traffic jam at the SF position. 

AGB91 likes this

19 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Jamal Walker is so overrated by this board imho. He hasn’t done anything at Illinois 

What is laughable is that these same "candidates" (Walker, Diener, Bonner, etc. included) not only get brought up for every assistant coach opening but also for every head coaching opening.  Makes you wonder....

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

What is laughable is that these same "candidates" (Walker, Diener, Bonner, etc. included) not only get brought up for every assistant coach opening but also for every head coaching opening.  Makes you wonder....

I think TF will be a good judge,  I am sure he will be looking for capable people, and perhaps working with Bonner during the practices may have given him an idea if A.  AB wants to to Coach ,  B how he might do as a Coach, and lastly whether he is a good fit.   If he feels it would work and all agree, I would have no problem with it.  If he chooses someone else fine.  McCauley has  a great deal of experience,  I am not sure how well he could recruit,  he has been recruiting to power five conferences before,  so that would be a switch.   A good hire by MA,  but I am sure TF will find someone good.

25 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’ll throw this name out there: Anthony Drejaj. Promote everyone from within and bring Drejaj in. 

The Drejaj idea I like, but to get the full value you would have to make him an assistant so he can actually recruit in NY/NJ area.  If you bring him as DBO he can’t recruit.  

I would be fine with bringing in a X & O guy to fix the offense. A Dave Rose type of guy.

39 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The Drejaj idea I like, but to get the full value you would have to make him an assistant so he can actually recruit in NY/NJ area.  If you bring him as DBO he can’t recruit.  

I would be fine with bringing in a X & O guy to fix the offense. A Dave Rose type of guy.

As I’ve said over and over I’m a bad writer. And it’s compounded by my laziness I would bring him in at the lowest assistant level 

On 5/3/2019 at 5:20 PM, willie said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the young suits on the bench got promoted. Maybe his nephew. There is something about promoting from within in any organization. 

If TF is going to promote from within and still have an East Coast presence - Chris Lowe would seem to be the guy. He played for Ford at UMass and is from the East Coast. I have no idea of his potential as a recruiter and if he is ready to make the leap, but on paper, he would seem to be guy. And then perhaps you consider making Tate the Associate HC.

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

And then perhaps you consider making Tate the Associate HC.

I don't think you necessarily need to give anyone the Associate HC title right away.  If Ford is trying to lure a great experienced AC away to fill Macon's void that is a nice carrot to offer.  However, I'm not sure I'd automatically give it to someone on the current staff if we hire from within or hire a less experienced AC.

Ford first year, for example, we didn't have an associate HC and then Macon was named to that position later.  If it was me, I'd save the title as something to offer later if an AC on staff that I want to keep is offered an AC job elsewhere.

billiken_roy and Zink like this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

If TF is going to promote from within and still have an East Coast presence - Chris Lowe would seem to be the guy. He played for Ford at UMass and is from the East Coast. I have no idea of his potential as a recruiter and if he is ready to make the leap, but on paper, he would seem to be guy. And then perhaps you consider making Tate the Associate HC.

The problem with looking at ex players who do not have a resume in the recruiting area is that he then has to learn on the job and we really can not give the guy 2-3 years to do that.  We need a I guy who already has the skill and experience to recruit.

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The problem with looking at ex players who do not have a resume in the recruiting area is that he then has to learn on the job and we really can not give the guy 2-3 years to do that.  We need a I guy who already has the skill and experience to recruit.

Not saying it's my first choice, (I'd rather bring in somebody experienced) just looking at who would make the most sense IF somebody gets promoted from within.

It appears Ford's long-time assistant Butch Pierre sat out this last season. He was with Ford during his entire time at Okie State. Assuming they still have a good relationship, this might make sense if Pierre wants to get back in coaching. He's been at some high profile places: https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2018/11/08/butch-pierre-turns-his-lifetime-college-basketball-journey-into-life-lessons-book/1924760002/

1 hour ago, ACE said:

It appears Ford's long-time assistant Butch Pierre sat out this last season. He was with Ford during his entire time at Okie State. Assuming they still have a good relationship, this might make sense if Pierre wants to get back in coaching. He's been at some high profile places: https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2018/11/08/butch-pierre-turns-his-lifetime-college-basketball-journey-into-life-lessons-book/1924760002/

Pierre certainly has the experience and the connection to Ford.  I do wonder about how good of a fit he would be.  Macon was by all accounts our recruiter on the east coast.  It makes a ton of sense for SLU to recruit that area given the geographic footprint of the A10.  Pierre has spent his entire career at schools in the south or southwest (Charlotte, LSU, Ok State, NC State, Memphis) which doesn't necessarily seem to be an area of focus for Ford at SLU.  Also worth noting that Pierre spent his playing career and coaching career at large public universities.  Not sure if that really means anything, but again very different from SLU.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Pierre certainly has the experience and the connection to Ford.  I do wonder about how good of a fit he would be.  Macon was by all accounts our recruiter on the east coast.  It makes a ton of sense for SLU to recruit that area given the geographic footprint of the A10.  Pierre has spent his entire career at schools in the south or southwest (Charlotte, LSU, Ok State, NC State, Memphis) which doesn't necessarily seem to be an area of focus for Ford at SLU.  Also worth noting that Pierre spent his playing career and coaching career at large public universities.  Not sure if that really means anything, but again very different from SLU.

All good points and I'm a big proponent of having an East Coast presence, if possible. I just thought it was a name to consider if Ford still has a strong connection to him. You would have to figure Pierre has developed a ton of recruiting connections. 

• 1 month later...