Asst Coach Van Macon

Ibruce

43 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We got the local guy we need with Tate.  Like some said earlier we need a guy with connections on the East Coast.

im looking for someone to teach the ins and outs of playing inside.   i.e. bonner.   i wasnt speaking of a recruiter. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

im looking for someone to teach the ins and outs of playing inside.   i.e. bonner.   i wasnt speaking of a recruiter. 

I wonder after the “practice” sessions does that give AB the desire to coach.  Imagine him coaching up Mr Bell, French and any other big man. ...

billiken_roy likes this

25 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

I wonder after the “practice” sessions does that give AB the desire to coach.  Imagine him coaching up Mr Bell, French and any other big man. ...

exactly.    

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Coach K, if I remember from the ESPN+ series this season, does not hire from outside very often or even at all. He brings in his former players. It doesn't seem as though he grooms them to be anything more than his assistants.

This is really a micro example, but I had a chance to see Duke practice twice this year, and it is remarkable how much the assitants do for the program. Coach K barely talks during the practices I saw in person. I don't know why there hasn't been a ton of success once they leave Duke, but I found it interesting nonetheless. 

11 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

This is really a micro example, but I had a chance to see Duke practice twice this year, and it is remarkable how much the assitants do for the program. Coach K barely talks during the practices I saw in person. I don't know why there hasn't been a ton of success once they leave Duke, but I found it interesting nonetheless. 

Because all they do is what he tells them to do would be my guess.  No chance for growing your own ideas.  I get it he is in charge and wants it his way.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Martelli

We hired Will Bailey off of Dr. John's staff - and he was far worse than Martelli. And Tate came from Kim Anderson's staff - enough said.

Martelli could get players, just couldn't always coach them up or get them to stay healthy.

Maybe a guy that can recruit Chicago, KC, Fond Du Lac, WI and coach FT shooting,  a possible coach in waiting with Big East experience................. toot toot all aboard Diener Express!

moytoy12 and JMM28 like this

Anthony Bonner is obviously a Billiken legend. Besides that - what qualifications does he have to be an assistant coach at a high end D1 program? Him being a great power forward in his day isn't a qualification. It isn't as if he shoves a USB cable into his abdomen, shoves the other end into Hasahn French and French magically learns. 

Also - hiring alums rarely works out well because eventually you have to fire that alum. It is the nature of the business. 

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Maybe a guy that can recruit Chicago, KC, Fond Du Lac, WI and coach FT shooting,  a possible coach in waiting with Big East experience................. toot toot all aboard Diener Express!

i actually think drew deiner as an assistant is a good idea.  

23 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Anthony Bonner is obviously a Billiken legend. Besides that - what qualifications does he have to be an assistant coach at a high end D1 program? Him being a great power forward in his day isn't a qualification. It isn't as if he shoves a USB cable into his abdomen, shoves the other end into Hasahn French and French magically learns. 

Also - hiring alums rarely works out well because eventually you have to fire that alum. It is the nature of the business. 

i would want bonner simply to coach french and bell.   i would have absolutely no recruiting expectations.  that said, a player coming to slu and is smart enough to realize they are talking to the best billiken in history that was a starting forward for the knicks in the 90's surely wouldnt hurt the recruiting of said player.

if bonner teaches french and bell the skills he had by the time they leave slu it would be well worth it.   French is a better athlete than bonner was.  so if anthony bonner was a better athlete with the skills and work ethic he had.........oh boy would he have been something.   well he already was something.   he would have been more than something.   the point is he could really tutor our bigs.