Asst Coach Van Macon

Ibruce

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes just as much sense for Anderson, as the biggest knock on him so far is that he doesn't have NYC ties. Macon was our connection to the NYC HS and AAU programs - how we wound up with French, for example.

23 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

St Johns. Cleveland is a persons name 

Okay.  Duh.  Mike Anderson at St. John's with AC Cleveland.

I still hope we pay well enough that a regular assistant coach job at St. John's is not better than the AC job at SLU.

Hope we can keep Macon... IF he does move on, I assume another of the ACs gets promoted to associate head coach. Wouldn’t mind us taking a run at Corey Frazier for the other AC spot then. It doesn’t seem like there’s anyone more plugged in to the local hoops scene than Frazier. I have zero idea whether there would be interest from either side. Some might also say having Frazier and Tate on the same staff is redundant.   Just thinking out loud. 

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Hope we can keep Macon... IF he does move on, I assume another of the ACs gets promoted to associate head coach. Wouldn’t mind us taking a run at Corey Frazier for the other AC spot then. It doesn’t seem like there’s anyone more plugged in to the local hoops scene than Frazier. I have zero idea whether there would be interest from either side. Some might also say having Frazier and Tate on the same staff is redundant.   Just thinking out loud. 

I would go get another guy with East Coast connections. Ford understands from his time at UMass that it is important in the A-10. For many years, Xavier also understood it was important in order to have success in the league.

TheChosenOne and cheeseman like this

Maybe Chris Carrawell would like to come back home to St. Louis.  If he's angling for a head coaching job, maybe giving him the associate head coach title might sweeten the deal for him.  Not saying it's likely, just throwing it out there.

Another possibility would  be Jamal Walker at Illinois.  If he sees the Illini as not going anywhere, he might consider jumping to his alma mater.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Maybe Chris Carrawell would like to come back home to St. Louis.  If he's angling for a head coaching job, maybe giving him the associate head coach title might sweeten the deal for him.  Not saying it's likely, just throwing it out there.

Another possibility would  be Jamal Walker at Illinois.  If he sees the Illini as not going anywhere, he might consider jumping to his alma mater.

Walker makes a lot of money. 

45 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

how many coach k coaches have been a big success.   not interested in carrawell.  he has been gone far too long to have any local influence likely.  

jamal walker has remained visible in the area.   but most of his recent conquests were then chased away by underwood.   probably scorched jamal's local st louis rep.  

personally i'd like to see bonner on staff.   who better to continue the education of french and the bigs yet to come?

47 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

how many coach k coaches have been a big success. 

Coach K is from the Bob Knight coaching tree, which also includes Jim Crews, Steve Alford, Pat Knight, Dan Dakich, Mike Davis, Isaiah Thomas, etc.  Really the only proteges whom have done squat are Coach K and now Chris Beard.

Who are Coach Ks best students?  Quinn Snyder, Tommy Amaker?  I think Johnny Dawkins did a great job at C Florida this year but Coach K hasn't exactly churned out great coaches either.

3 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Coach K is from the Bob Knight coaching tree, which also includes Jim Crews, Steve Alford, Pat Knight, Dan Dakich, Mike Davis, Isaiah Thomas, etc.  Really the only proteges whom have done squat are Coach K and now Chris Beard.

Who are Coach Ks best students?  Quinn Snyder, Tommy Amaker?  I think Johnny Dawkins did a great job at C Florida this year but Coach K hasn't exactly churned out great coaches either.

Coach K, if I remember from the ESPN+ series this season, does not hire from outside very often or even at all. He brings in his former players. It doesn't seem as though he grooms them to be anything more than his assistants.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Coach K, if I remember from the ESPN+ series this season, does not hire from outside very often or even at all. He brings in his former players. It doesn't seem as though he grooms them to be anything more than his assistants.

He probably saw how Dean Smith's top assistant, Roy Williams, got a head coaching job at a big school and started challenging Smith for Final Fours.  Coach K probably said to himself, "I'll make sure that doesn't happen to me".