Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
dlarry

OT: Jeopardy-James Holzhauer

Recommended Posts

Anybody else been watching this?

It’s been pretty amazing! The dude just destroys the competition.

He is averaging over 70,000 per game. Today he went over 1.2 million. 

I’ve always watched Jeopardy if I was home but he has made it DVR worthy.

If you haven’t tuned in I recommend you check it out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds to me like James is a fart smella.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Anybody else been watching this?

It’s been pretty amazing! The dude just destroys the competition.

He is averaging over 70,000 per game. Today he went over 1.2 million. 

I’ve always watched Jeopardy if I was home but he has made it DVR worthy.

If you haven’t tuned in I recommend you check it out. 

 

I DVR it everyday. I'm a couple days behind but he's averaging 75k after 12 wins. The previous single day record was 77k. Pretty amazing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I DVR it everyday. I'm a couple days behind but he's averaging 75k after 12 wins. The previous single day record was 77k. Pretty amazing

Dudes a freak. He owns spots 1-5 in all time single game scores.

Ken Jennings averaged around 35,000 and hit 2.5 million in 74 games. If he keeps his pace he will pass that in just over 30 games.

I don’t know how anyone stops him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Dudes a freak. He owns spots 1-5 in all time single game scores.

Ken Jennings averaged around 35,000 and hit 2.5 million in 74 games. If he keeps his pace he will pass that in just over 30 games.

I don’t know how anyone stops him.

Luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dlarry said:

Anybody else been watching this?

It’s been pretty amazing! The dude just destroys the competition.

He is averaging over 70,000 per game. Today he went over 1.2 million. 

I’ve always watched Jeopardy if I was home but he has made it DVR worthy.

If you haven’t tuned in I recommend you check it out. 

 

I haven’t watched him/it at all, but I saw the “Now This” clip about his current run.  My first thought: “something funny is going on here.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I haven’t watched him/it at all, but I saw the “Now This” clip about his current run.  My first thought: “something funny is going on here.”

Nope. He just bets big and on daily doubles and final. He may not be any better than Brad Rutter (who actually is the best of all time so far) or ken Jennings as far as how many questions he answers but he goes right for the highest value questions first and then gambles big on dd's and final. He's a professional sports gambler for a living so he's not afraid to take a risk. 

For those that watch. what did you think of the All Star tourney. I really enjoyed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Nope. He just bets big and on daily doubles and final. He may not be any better than Brad Rutter (who actually is the best of all time so far) or ken Jennings as far as how many questions he answers but he goes right for the highest value questions first and then gambles big on dd's and final. He's a professional sports gambler for a living so he's not afraid to take a risk. 

For those that watch. what did you think of the All Star tourney. I really enjoyed it

The All Star tournament was a nice change of pace.  I’d like to see something in that format once a year.

As for something fishy going on...I could see it. 

The thought has crossed my mind that they are building him up and then he replaces Trebek. Trebek  probably won’t be able to do this for much longer and they need a replacement and I don’t think a celebrity is the way to go.

Right now I’m enjoying the ride and think everything is on the up and up but it wouldn’t totally surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dlarry said:

The All Star tournament was a nice change of pace.  I’d like to see something in that format once a year.

As for something fishy going on...I could see it. 

The thought has crossed my mind that they are building him up and then he replaces Trebek. Trebek  probably won’t be able to do this for much longer and they need a replacement and I don’t think a celebrity is the way to go.

Right now I’m enjoying the ride and think everything is on the up and up but it wouldn’t totally surprise me.

It would surprise me. I don't think anything funny is going on. The guy is just good and not afraid to bet big. Like most of the great players he probably knows the answer to 90% of the questions which is why I've never understood the reluctance of most champions to bet big. It's just a smart bet even if you only know 60% of the answers. Certainly far better odds than he'd ever get in Vegas. I don't see him replacing Alex. I think Ken Jennings would be a better choice and imo a nice fit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

It would surprise me. I don't think anything funny is going on. The guy is just good and not afraid to bet big. Like most of the great players he probably knows the answer to 90% of the questions which is why I've never understood the reluctance of most champions to bet big. It's just a smart bet even if you only know 60% of the answers. Certainly far better odds than he'd ever get in Vegas. I don't see him replacing Alex. I think Ken Jennings would be a better choice and imo a nice fit 

I think he's too young. Ken is the right age for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It would surprise me. I don't think anything funny is going on. The guy is just good and not afraid to bet big. Like most of the great players he probably knows the answer to 90% of the questions which is why I've never understood the reluctance of most champions to bet big. It's just a smart bet even if you only know 60% of the answers. Certainly far better odds than he'd ever get in Vegas. I don't see him replacing Alex. I think Ken Jennings would be a better choice and imo a nice fit 

came with nothing, what the hell?   go for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think he's too young. Ken is the right age for it.

Jennings would suck as the host.  He just isn't very good at that kind of thing.  There is a reason he has never got a hosting gig despite pitching shows with him as a host for over a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I haven’t watched him/it at all, but I saw the “Now This” clip about his current run.  My first thought: “something funny is going on here.”

I don't think there is anything funny going on.  He is just playing the game smarter than anyone before. He knocks off all the high dollar answers then goes hunting for the Daily Doubles. When you combine that strategy with great trivia knowledge and most importantly great buzzer reflexes, you get record setting scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His dominance is impressive.  He is per game average is double what I won in my two wins.  He is going to have to beat Brad Rutter in some All Star format before he could ever be considered the best.  Brad has never lost to a human.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

His dominance is impressive.  He is per game average is double what I won in my two wins.  He is going to have to beat Brad Rutter in some All Star format before he could ever be considered the best.  Brad has never lost to a human.

Is this sarcasm or were you on the show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

His dominance is impressive.  He is per game average is double what I won in my two wins.  He is going to have to beat Brad Rutter in some All Star format before he could ever be considered the best.  Brad has never lost to a human.

You kind of Buried the lead there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Jennings would suck as the host.  He just isn't very good at that kind of thing.  There is a reason he has never got a hosting gig despite pitching shows with him as a host for over a decade.

Agreed.

Jennings is a bore. This guy has personality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have always liked trivia and Jeopardy is an every night must for our house. We even figured out what channel it was on for our recent NC and TN trip. Could be more of a challenge next month when our travels take us to Aruba but we will sure do some channel surfing.

James is incredible as he rarely answers a question incorrectly and I believe he has only missed one Final Jeopardy. Saw where he attended University of Illinois but said he was busy playing online poker in those days. Not sure he got his undergrad degree. He was on one of the sports shows by telephone and they asked him about facing Ken Jennings and he said he would enjoy it and that he heard he would be favored in that match up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See James has a Wikipedia page and it states he received his degree in 2005 with a major in mathematics which makes sense seeing as he is a pro sports gambler. This season is already taped and it would be interesting to know if he was still champion at the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I was on several years ago.  Two-day champion.

awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matty Light said:

I was on several years ago.  Two-day champion.

That's cool. I'm sure I saw the episodes as I don't think I've missed a show in over 20 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Schasz said:

We have always liked trivia and Jeopardy is an every night must for our house. We even figured out what channel it was on for our recent NC and TN trip. Could be more of a challenge next month when our travels take us to Aruba but we will sure do some channel surfing.

James is incredible as he rarely answers a question incorrectly and I believe he has only missed one Final Jeopardy. Saw where he attended University of Illinois but said he was busy playing online poker in those days. Not sure he got his undergrad degree. He was on one of the sports shows by telephone and they asked him about facing Ken Jennings and he said he would enjoy it and that he heard he would be favored in that match up.

You could bring a laptop with you and check the internet for Jeopardy feeds from Aruba. I do not know if this would work but you could try it. Another thing you can do is to contact the concierge of your hotel in Aruba and have him check for availability of Jeopardy in Aruba, via both broadband and internet.

Enjoy, Aruba is a very nice place to go to, hope you can take some time for scuba diving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matty Light said:

I was on several years ago.  Two-day champion.

WHY WAS THIS NOT IN THE ALUMNI MAGAZINE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...