Does Height really matter?

slu72

I realize we're all clamoring/praying for a big GT, somewhere in the 6'9" to 7' range, but do we really need one?

Right now our inside players are French 6'7", Hankton 6'8", Hargrove 6'7" , and Bell (Tower) at 7'. Last year we had Foreman at 6'8" and we were one of the best rebounding teams in the country. While it would be great to find a Rob Loe clone, our front line size isn't what you'd call undersized for today's game. 

Yes, we could struggle against a good big man, like we did w/ that big from Richmond. And, yes Bashear from VT did a number on us, but I really can't recall where many other bigs hammered us. Also, there aren't many teams in the A10 with dominant big men. Actually, we seem very right sized for the A10. And if we do run into a dominant inside big let Jimmy hammer away at him. At 7' 280 he's at least a space eater until he learns the D1 game. 

Obviously where we're hurting on the inside is experience more than sheer height. So If we pick up a 6'7" GT who can board and play D, I don't think it's a major miss if we fail to land one of these + 6'10" guys. That said, it would be great if Hankton and French have Conklin summers. 

Ford has said he prefers to play French at the 4. In other words have some one bigger on the floor with French. Bell clearly fits the bill, but its unknown how many minutes he can play. It would be ideal to land a GT Bigger than French to alternate with Bell.  It would also help in regard to injuries and early foul trouble for Bell or French. 

2 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Ford has said he prefers to play French at the 4. In other words have some one bigger on the floor with French. Bell clearly fits the bill, but its unknown how many minutes he can play. It would be ideal to land a GT Bigger than French to alternate with Bell.  It would also help in regard to injuries and early foul trouble for Bell or French. 

Yes, French is the only proven D1 level player up front...Ford has to fill that void with at least one upperclassman.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:12 PM, slu72 said:

I realize we're all clamoring/praying for a big GT, somewhere in the 6'9" to 7' range, but do we really need one?

Right now our inside players are French 6'7", Hankton 6'8", Hargrove 6'7" , and Bell (Tower) at 7'. Last year we had Foreman at 6'8" and we were one of the best rebounding teams in the country. While it would be great to find a Rob Loe clone, our front line size isn't what you'd call undersized for today's game. 

Yes, we could struggle against a good big man, like we did w/ that big from Richmond. And, yes Bashear from VT did a number on us, but I really can't recall where many other bigs hammered us. Also, there aren't many teams in the A10 with dominant big men. Actually, we seem very right sized for the A10. And if we do run into a dominant inside big let Jimmy hammer away at him. At 7' 280 he's at least a space eater until he learns the D1 game. 

Obviously where we're hurting on the inside is experience more than sheer height. So If we pick up a 6'7" GT who can board and play D, I don't think it's a major miss if we fail to land one of these + 6'10" guys. That said, it would be great if Hankton and French have Conklin summers. 

Maybe you're right, but is Hankton really taller than French?