Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

With mls expanding to 30 teams as of very recently, Stl is almost guaranteed a team now since we were the “next 2” in line. 

SLU needs to start brainstorming how to merge the MLS franchise with SLU soccer and athletics as soon as possible. 

Marquette and the Bucks put together a mutual state of the art training facility that Athletics majors “AT, PT, kino etc” 

benefits the students and gives them a tax write off. Will be a for sure boost for SLU soccer recruiting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would definitely be awesome to see a couple SLU games in the new stadium, as well as duel practices with SLU and the MLS team players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Would definitely be awesome to see a couple SLU games in the new stadium, as well as duel practices with SLU and the MLS team players. 

I'm sure there will be some sort of partnership Maryville has really cornered the sports marketing program but SLU has a partnership with STL Sports Commission.

As for the soccer team. I don't see a reason to do anything off campus. Maybe the Bronze boot game. I'm also sure that dual practices would be against NCAA rules.

The athletic department needs to figure out how to improve Hermann Stadium first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I long used to think that an MLS team in the Lou would be damaging to Bills soccer on the constant attempt at a return to glory. I can't really put a finger on why I felt that way these days but I now believe that logic was flawed. SLU needs to become a perennial Top 25 team competing for National Championships again,  that's on us and no one else. 

With that being said, the NCAA seems to be trending towards holding the College Cup in MLS specific stadiums more often. Which is a good thing. Much overlooked concerning the expansion and improvement of MLS is that is in a verifiable golden age for stadium building in American Sports history. People have ditched the mantra that bigger is always better and are producing stunning stadiums that foster a true home environment for a league that is still growing. I hope to never see another damn College Cup at Legion Field in Hoover, ****ing Alabama ever again. 

I'd love to see the College Cup back in The Lou, with the Bills back in it. I think its just one of the many opportunities the presence of an MLS team has to help Bills soccer. @billikenfan05 I think that having the Bronze Boot Game in the new MLS stadium would be brilliant, let's make it a thing. And as you well know, I believe that improvements to Herman are long past due. 

What about pre-season Friendly matches against an MLS team? That should be a constant. Good for soccer in the city and a great experience for the student athletes at SLU to get on an MLS pitch and knock the ball around with pro-talent. That should happen day 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

The truth is MLS is growing exponentially and stars are coming here. Imagine if Ronaldo spends his “retirement” years in Saint Louis FC. 

set the roots now 

The MLS is trying to distance itself from a "retirement" league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, prebilliken said:

I'd love to see the College Cup back in The Lou, with the Bills back in it. I think its just one of the many opportunities the presence of an MLS team has to help Bills soccer. @billikenfan05 I think that having the Bronze Boot Game in the new MLS stadium would be brilliant, let's make it a thing. And as you well know, I believe that improvements to Herman are long past due. 

Hate quoting myself, but this brings up a really bitter SLU sports memories. I was a freshman in 2006 when SLU hosted the College Cup at Hermann. We entered the tournament ranked 11th nationally and it looked liked we really had a shot of making it home for the final four after an A10 regular season championship and wins that season over #2 UConn and #9 Indiana. Alas, our first game of the tourney, we lost to unranked Northwestern. I truly don't think Bills soccer has ever been the same since then. 2003 was the last year we held the average attendance record in the NCAA but I felt like attendance was still really strong when I got to campus. 

I know must of us would cut an arm or a leg off to see a basketball National Championship for the Bills... But I would definitely give a few fingers and toes for a soccer one as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great concept, great design.  Good idea to max out at 25k for seating.  No seat more than 120 feet away ..... that will be an interesting twist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, billikenfan05 said:

The MLS is trying to distance itself from a "retirement" league.

As a retirement league for average players, yes. But if truly generational players like Rooney, Zlatan, Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, etc want to play here at the end of their careers, MLS will always encourage that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t even have to be one of those guys. A guy like Vedad or Dzeko would really help lay a foundation for The St. Louis soccer team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22,500 sounded too big to me, but then I saw that the MLS averaged 21,873 attendance last year. And even without the outliers of Atlanta (53,000) and Seattle (40,600), the average is still 19,497. Pretty impressive - more than NHL and NBA, and not too far behind MLB (about 28,830). 

I think many will agree that the more the stadium is open to the north and east the better. Much of the charm of Busch Stadium, PNC Park, Petco Park and others is the sweeping vistas they provide of their city's downtowns. It instills a sense of pride, makes for a great backdrop from the seats and provides free marketing for the city on TV. Obviously the views aren't going to be quite as dramatic from 21st street, but still, Union Station's tower, the civil courts building all lit up, the Park Pacific Building, the Eagleton Courthouse, etc... would make for quite the backdrop. So, hopefully they leave the east and north ends of the stadium more open to provide views from the upper deck.

The sun will be coming from the south and west during games anyways, so having the large overhangs on the east and north might not even provide as much protection. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Compton said:

22,500 sounded too big to me, but then I saw that the MLS averaged 21,873 attendance last year. And even without the outliers of Atlanta (53,000) and Seattle (40,600), the average is still 19,497. Pretty impressive - more than NHL and NBA, and not too far behind MLB (about 28,830). 

I think many will agree that the more the stadium is open to the north and east the better. Much of the charm of Busch Stadium, PNC Park, Petco Park and others is the sweeping vistas they provide of their city's downtowns. It instills a sense of pride, makes for a great backdrop from the seats and provides free marketing for the city on TV. Obviously the views aren't going to be quite as dramatic from 21st street, but still, Union Station's tower, the civil courts building all lit up, the Park Pacific Building, the Eagleton Courthouse, etc... would make for quite the backdrop. So, hopefully they leave the east and north ends of the stadium more open to provide views from the upper deck.

The sun will be coming from the south and west during games anyways, so having the large overhangs on the east and north might not even provide as much protection. 

 

Think of how many local youth soccer teams would attend games within an 1.5 hour radius of Stl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what I would like to see in 2022

Head Coach, Mike Sorber

Front Office, Taylor Twellman

Defense, Tim Ream

Forward, Vedad Ibisevic

Forward, Josh Sargent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is what I would like to see in 2022

Head Coach, Mike Sorber

Front Office, Taylor Twellman

Defense, Tim Ream

Forward, Vedad Ibisevic

Forward, Josh Sargent

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

No

Sorry I didn't ask for your approval before I posted MY wish list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HoosierPal I love Sorber but Staying loyal to St Louis has been a big mistake for the most recent St. Louis soccer franchises. Dale Schilly, Tim Leonard for STLFC, they moved to Anthony Pulis an outsider and they win. St Louis Ambush hired Doran, Glavin and are finally seeing positive progression under Hewerton Moreira, an outsider. You bring in local coach and he has extra pressure to be loyal and play the locals. My guess would be Pulis gets first crack are MLS. The team should probably have one or two local players max. Twellmann has 0 front office experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is what I would like to see in 2022

Head Coach, Mike Sorber

Front Office, Taylor Twellman

Defense, Tim Ream

Forward, Vedad Ibisevic

Forward, Josh Sargent

Sargent being in the MLS in 2022 would be a very bad sign for his development

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NH said:

Sargent being in the MLS in 2022 would be a very bad sign for his development

This too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NH said:

Sargent being in the MLS in 2022 would be a very bad sign for his development

This, and a mid 30s Tim Ream and late 30s Vedad is not what anyone wants to see.  MLS is trending towards youth- both homegrown and South American imports. Atlanta getting $20 mil for Almiron officially announced MLS’s status as a selling league, as it should be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, brianstl said:

Doesn’t even have to be one of those guys. A guy like Vedad or Dzeko would really help lay a foundation for The St. Louis soccer team.

As long as they aren’t using a designated player slot on them... if they waste a DP slot on either of them, there will be serious questions to be asked about management before they even play a game. Now if they could get Vedad on a cheap deal to be a mentor/ draw for the Bosnian crowd, then MAYBE it could be beneficial. But the team is going to draw 20K+ With or without a Bosnian star. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 6:49 PM, QUAILMAN said:

Question for those of you who follow the MLS, EPL, etc.: This design looks pretty good, right?

Like to me it looks good, but I figured soccer fans might say something like, "It doesn't hold a candle to Rottenegg Stadium in Dingleberry-on-Trent" or whatever the most iconic soccer stadium is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Question for those of you who follow the MLS, EPL, etc.: This design looks pretty good, right?

Like to me it looks good, but I figured soccer fans might say something like, "It doesn't hold a candle to Rottenegg Stadium in Dingleberry-on-Trent" or whatever the most iconic soccer stadium is.

I love that all the seats are very close to the pitch. In my opinion, this is a characteristic of very good soccer stadiums with capacity in the 20-30k range. The ability to expand is good as well, as MLS is going nowhere but up right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

As long as they aren’t using a designated player slot on them... if they waste a DP slot on either of them, there will be serious questions to be asked about management before they even play a game. Now if they could get Vedad on a cheap deal to be a mentor/ draw for the Bosnian crowd, then MAYBE it could be beneficial. But the team is going to draw 20K+ With or without a Bosnian star. 

You got what the others didn't.  We have a large Bosnian contingent in STL.  Having a Bosnian player would be an important link to those patrons.  In March 2022 he would be 37, old but not ancient.  Zlatan is playing quite well at 37.  Vedad has 9 goals and 3 assists this season in the Bundesliga plus 2 goals in the DFB Cup.

 

12 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Question for those of you who follow the MLS, EPL, etc.: This design looks pretty good, right?

Like to me it looks good, but I figured soccer fans might say something like, "It doesn't hold a candle to Rottenegg Stadium in Dingleberry-on-Trent" or whatever the most iconic soccer stadium is.

These are only renderings, but I'm not enamored with the sharp edges on the roof line.  However, I'll wait until the design and/or final product. It could turn out just fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...