MLS AND SLU

I'm a little concerned about balancing the need to help grow grass on the field and not baking your fanbase beneath the overhangs.  They said they changed the overhang material to translucent panels.  That sounds like a greenhouse situation to me.  No fans will hang onto their tickets if their expected to go to games in the summer in St. Louis when its 97 degrees and the area under the overhangs is hotter than that.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because some stadiums have had trouble growing grass the way the team would like given the design of the stadium.  St. Louis's group altered the design, but making it so that the overhang would have translucent panels.  This will, presumably, help the grass grow better, but I'm concerned it will turn the area where the fans sit into an oven.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Am I missing something here?  Why does everyone keep talking about the grass?

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm a little concerned about balancing the need to help grow grass on the field and not baking your fanbase beneath the overhangs.  They said they changed the overhang material to translucent panels.  That sounds like a greenhouse situation to me.  No fans will hang onto their tickets if their expected to go to games in the summer in St. Louis when its 97 degrees and the area under the overhangs is hotter than that.

All this talk about grass and getting baked.

cgeldmacher likes this

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Also, does anyone know if these soccer stadiums are getting other business like concerts?  If so, I wonder if it could take away from the money SLU brings in from Chaifetz.

I believe they said in their release the other day it would be used for concerts as well other events.  Looking forward to seeing Dead and Company play there in 3 years 😃

I saw My Morning Jacket, Wilco, and Bob Dylan play at SeatGeek Stadium (horrible name, horrible location) and it was the perfect outdoor venue for it. I'd imagine this would not take much away from Chaiftez, as they are different types of venues (one being outdoors obviously) with very different seating capacities.

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I believe they said in their release the other day it would be used for concerts as well other events.  Looking forward to seeing Dead and Company play there in 3 years 😃

I saw My Morning Jacket, Wilco, and Bob Dylan play at SeatGeek Stadium (horrible name, horrible location) and it was the perfect outdoor venue for it.

I would assume it would compete to get rugby(sevens tournaments) matches as well.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would assume it would compete to get rugby(sevens tournaments) matches as well.

Yeah probably. I'm pretty sure they even said it could/would be used for esport events. If so, I guess that could be one event it steals from Chaifetz.

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

The design is excellent. I have been to multiple new MLS stadiums in the last year (and have been in a few major European stadiums), and this design is absolutely perfect for the targeted size. The square design will allow it to open to concourses and will better integrate with the surrounding neighborhood and the street level (as opposed to the above-street level boxy designs which stand apart from their surroundings). The views and angles in these stadiums is so much better than most other American sports. It is actually similar to the approach at Chaifetz.

Yeah, I really think the right move for modern MLS stadiums is to go for intimate and loud vs expansive and comfortable. Having been fortunate enough to attend matches and visit stadiums across Europe, the coolest places to watch games are the ones that have a built-in atmosphere due to an emphasis on sight-lines and with getting as many spectators close to the action as possible. Craven Cottage is an example of an old stadium that does this really well, but there are actually quite a lot of modern lower tier teams with stadiums featuring similar designs (e.g., The DW in Wigan). Relatedly, if you haven't been to a European stadium, it might surprise you somewhat how cheap, small, and close together the seats are compared to a place like the new Busch. Only a small portion of the seats are actually at all not-uncomfortable to sit in, those at midfield and the ones for people with luxury boxes. The rest are made of flimsy plastic, which is great because it makes you more inclined to stand all game and allows you to get a lot of fans down close to the field. Another big difference is how limited the concourses are, with much more sparse concessions (even in very new stadiums like the Etihad and Gazprom Arena) and nothing else besides bathrooms. Fans congregate outside the stadium pre-match and then go in to watch the game at their seats, really emphasizing the game itself as the primary source of entertainment, which I appreciate.

3 minutes ago, Zink said:

Yeah, I really think the right move for modern MLS stadiums is to go for intimate and loud vs expansive and comfortable. Having been fortunate enough to attend matches and visit stadiums across Europe, the coolest places to watch games are the ones that have a built-in atmosphere due to an emphasis on sight-lines and with getting as many spectators close to the action as possible. Craven Cottage is an example of an old stadium that does this really well, but there are actually quite a lot of modern lower tier teams with stadiums featuring similar designs (e.g., The DW in Wigan). Relatedly, if you haven't been to a European stadium, it might surprise you somewhat how cheap, small, and close together the seats are compared to a place like the new Busch. Only a small portion of the seats are actually at all not-uncomfortable to sit in, those at midfield and the ones for people with luxury boxes. The rest are made of flimsy plastic, which is great because it makes you more inclined to stand all game and allows you to get a lot of fans down close to the field. Another big difference is how limited the concourses are, with much more sparse concessions (even in very new stadiums like the Etihad and Gazprom Arena) and nothing else besides bathrooms. Fans congregate outside the stadium pre-match and then go in to watch the game at their seats, really emphasizing the game itself as the primary source of entertainment, which I appreciate.

This is the only stadium I have been to in Europe but it was an awesome experience. Very intimate and very loud.

6 minutes ago, Zink said:

The rest are made of flimsy plastic, which is great because it makes you more inclined to stand all game and allows you to get a lot of fans down close to the field. Another big difference is how limited the concourses are, with much more sparse concessions (even in very new stadiums like the Etihad

etihad has the cheapest, most unconformable seats ever.   those frickers make matches hell.  My back muscles are always on fire in those. 

Also I think the rules against drinking during matches plays a role in that.  stamford bridge has like no stands at all to get food or drinks at.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I wondered about this too. Maybe need some kind of louvered shades that can open and close.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/mls-update-with-carolyn-kindle-betz-jim-kavanaugh/

Scoops with Danny Mac.  CKB and Kavanaugh.

Have Letters of Intent, Memorandums from sponsors.

Imo's on Twitter, stadium is "Second Square Beyond Compare"

Details with City and State on the land still to be worked out prior to MLS stamping the franchise.  More details on high level sponsor validation still needs work.

CBK asked for visits, clicks, etc on website.  She said that MLS is looking at the website interest.  https://mls4thelou.com/

Danny Mac, any team name:  CBK says "We need a team first".  "The Archers seems to be a fan favorite." per CBK.  They will do town hall's and debates on some of these branding issues.

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

etihad has the cheapest, most unconformable seats ever.   those frickers make matches hell.  My back muscles are always on fire in those. 

Also I think the rules against drinking during matches plays a role in that.  stamford bridge has like no stands at all to get food or drinks at.

The seats at the Etihad were made for standing lol

40 minutes ago, Zink said:

The seats at the Etihad were made for standing lol

Had to have been. I’d rather sit on bleachers.  Funny enough, the high class sections have the NICEST seats I’ve even felt. 4 inch padding, built in seat warmers

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Had to have been. I’d rather sit on bleachers.  Funny enough, the high class sections have the NICEST seats I’ve even felt. 4 inch padding, built in seat warmers

I’ll get on my soapbox and say that low attendance for STLFC is the bleacher seating but I hate bleachers, so.....

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’ll get on my soapbox and say that low attendance for STLFC is the bleacher seating but I hate bleachers, so.....

I’d say it’s more about the mediocrity (relative to the competition) of the product. This year so far has been an exception, obviously, with the team in first place. If they can keep it up closer to playoff time, I’d expect bigger crowds. 

Littlebill likes this