MLS AND SLU

16 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Question for those of you who follow the MLS, EPL, etc.: This design looks pretty good, right?

Like to me it looks good, but I figured soccer fans might say something like, "It doesn't hold a candle to Rottenegg Stadium in Dingleberry-on-Trent" or whatever the most iconic soccer stadium is.

It's no St. James' Park in Newcastle upon Tyne.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Hoosier Pal's statement is right on ----- I can see these sentiments being the mainstay of the town.  I also see fo5's comeback to HP as true.  So the battle lines will be drawn ---- local hotbed plays local players?  If not, do the locals support?  Will be quite a grand experiment.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You got what the others didn't.  We have a large Bosnian contingent in STL.  Having a Bosnian player would be an important link to those patrons.  In March 2022 he would be 37, old but not ancient.  Zlatan is playing quite well at 37.  Vedad has 9 goals and 3 assists this season in the Bundesliga plus 2 goals in the DFB Cup.

These are only renderings, but I'm not enamored with the sharp edges on the roof line.  However, I'll wait until the design and/or final product. It could turn out just fine.

No we got it, there's just no reason to give up 2 roster slots to (non-superstar) players just to draw fans, that's minor league........and you just compared Zlatan to Vedad.

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is what I would like to see in 2022

Head Coach, Mike Sorber

Front Office, Taylor Twellman

Defense, Tim Ream

Forward, Vedad Ibisevic

Forward, Josh Sargent

lol

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Question for those of you who follow the MLS, EPL, etc.: This design looks pretty good, right?

Like to me it looks good, but I figured soccer fans might say something like, "It doesn't hold a candle to Rottenegg Stadium in Dingleberry-on-Trent" or whatever the most iconic soccer stadium is.

its a very MLS-like stadium, this design would not sit well in England.  Not that theres anything wrong with that.  Only a few stadiums in England have a similar feel to the new concepts of the mls stadiums,  such as Falmer stadium and cardiff city stadium.  Though, Falmer is a great stadium, very clean. 

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

its a very MLS-like stadium, this design would not sit well in England.  Not that theres anything wrong with that.  Only a few stadiums in England have a similar feel to the new concepts of the mls stadiums,  such as Falmer stadium and cardiff city stadium.  Though, Falmer is a great stadium, very clean. 

This is the right attitude. I really dislike the notion that we have to try to follow in the footsteps of everything European when it comes to soccer. Need to embrace our own American style of things and apply them where possible(outside of the structure of the sport)

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is the right attitude. I really dislike the notion that we have to try to follow in the footsteps of everything European when it comes to soccer. Need to embrace our own American style of things and apply them where possible(outside of the structure of the sport)

The whole trend of naming American teams FC/United/etc. bugs me.

2 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

agreed.  especially united, but thats probably just because of who i support 

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

If I could make myself sports king for a day, that would probably be my first item of business. Quick and easy fix. No more cheap knockoff Euro cosplay with MLS names.

Real Salt Lake, Sporing Kansas City, Futbol Club Cincinnati - barf. Please stop this nonsense.

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If it was SC Cincinnati or Cincinnati SC it wouldn’t bother me though.

Not at all. And if the fans want to give them a nickname, that's cool, too.

(I actually think FC Cincinnati switched their official registration from Futbol Club Cincinnati to Fussball Club Cincinnati because the city has more of a German history. I'm sure they own both trademarks, though.)

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not at all. And if the fans want to give them a nickname, that's cool, too.

(I actually think FC Cincinnati switched their official registration from Futbol Club Cincinnati to Fussball Club Cincinnati because the city has more of a German history. I'm sure they own both trademarks, though.)

I'm cringing over here. at Fussball Club.

The design is excellent. I have been to multiple new MLS stadiums in the last year (and have been in a few major European stadiums), and this design is absolutely perfect for the targeted size. The square design will allow it to open to concourses and will better integrate with the surrounding neighborhood and the street level (as opposed to the above-street level boxy designs which stand apart from their surroundings). The views and angles in these stadiums is so much better than most other American sports. It is actually similar to the approach at Chaifetz.

I also have good reason to believe the specific site plan for this stadium will be a little different than the old plan and, as a result, will better enable development and connectivity into adjoining downtown areas. They will likely re-use some of the existing ramps/tunnels in an effective way.

Regarding the suggested and staff, this team and league doesn't need the sentimental local tricks and sideshows. MLS is quickly becoming a legitimate league in the global soccer world, with highly competitive team and players being developed and sold to top teams in the world. (e.g. Tyler Adams, Davies, and Miguel A.). The last thing the local team needs to do is treat this as a gimmick sport and parade out washed up players or unqualified personnel just because they have local ties. We need to quit selling our city and region short and get comfortable with this being a cosmopolitan game that can help make our region more attractive to transplants, immigrants, recent grads, and those beyond the parochial local crowd. This doesn't mean we need to alienate the traditional local base, but we need to strategize and market much more broadly. I am fine bringing in Bosnian players, but they better be U-23 prospects who are highly rated and potential international starters. I also would like to see us develop top young Americans through the academy and sign top Mexicans, South Americans, and anyone else who can help us field the best team. 

I am downright ecstatic about this team!

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

30 minutes ago, davidnark said:

The design is excellent. I have been to multiple new MLS stadiums in the last year (and have been in a few major European stadiums), and this design is absolutely perfect for the targeted size. The square design will allow it to open to concourses and will better integrate with the surrounding neighborhood and the street level (as opposed to the above-street level boxy designs which stand apart from their surroundings). The views and angles in these stadiums is so much better than most other American sports. It is actually similar to the approach at Chaifetz.

I am downright ecstatic about this team!

I'm in complete agreement, I love the design, and I love the logic/engineering behind the viewing angles. I heard some initial suggestions that wanted the stadium to have a brick facade so that it would be a reflection of Busch but I really love what they ended up doing in the design. I also think its cool how the stadium is almost entirely enclosed yet still incorporates the St. Louis skyline via some of the gaps in the stand. 

EPL stadiums are hard to compare to the new MLS stadiums (even outside of scale of seating) because most well known EPL stadiums have gone through multiple iterations that produce a very hodge-podge looking stadium. The EPL is sort of like the South Eastern Conference of Soccer Leagues in terms of stadiums, a lot of hallowed grounds started as humble grand stands and instead of building entirely new stadiums as they expand, they just keep building on top of those grandstands or by grand stand at a time. Afield is a pretty good example. Stadiums like Cardiff City Stadium buck that trend. 

Also, there is no branding crime more miserable than naming MLS teams in the European Style like "Real Salt Lake" and "Sporting" KC. I'm fine with SC St. Louis, but I think FC is silly as well. Come up with and original name. Last I checked there was never a King of Utah that gave his personal blessing to "Real" Salt Lake. Its awful. 

5 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I like the stadium design but I wish something was mentioned or shown about the supporters section. I really like the design being used with the standing room, single stand that they have incorporated at Banc of California Stadium (LAFC) and Allianz Field (Minnesota United).  

5 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I like the stadium design but I wish something was mentioned or shown about the supporters section. I really like the design being used with the standing room, single stand that they have incorporated at Banc of California Stadium (LAFC) and Allianz Field (Minnesota United).  

Agreed.

I also like the design quite a bit. Watching FCC go through this process, though, I will caution that the final stadium could wind up being quite a bit different than the current proposal.

FCC ran into issues with Music Hall - where the symphony plays - being so close. They ran experiments that showed soccer crowd noise could interfere with their performances. The stadium was also designed to have an exterior that lit up orange, and that has been scaled back significantly because of the light issues it could cause in the neighborhood. And on and on and on.

So I hope this group has thought about a lot of those potential stumbling blocks to get their intended design built.