Local roster building

We've had three decent multi year stretches in the past 35 years.  Two of the three were led by local talent.  As Pistol points out, RM did it without much local flavor, but that was just his way.  The other two were driven by Bonner, Gray, and Douglas and by Highmark and Clagget (there may have been some more locals on that team that I'm not remembering right now - Luchtefeld was sort of local).

We certainly don't need local talent to be good, but if we have a better chance with local guys and the talent pool here can be deep more often than not, then why not do what Ford is doing and develop a solid local recruiting base.  I'm thinking we are just entering our fourth stretch of success in the last 40 years and this team will be made of a bunch of local guys.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which just means St. Loui sis a front runner crowd and really comes to support a winner. 

You haven't been to STL in over 30 years, so you obviously don't know what the f you're talking about.

You have to give casual sports fans (myself included) a reason to support the program. That's true in every big city in America. The Cardinals and Blues (and the Rams when they gave a damn) have done that. 

4 minutes ago, Brighton said:

You haven't been to STL in over 30 years, so you obviously don't know what the f you're talking about.

You have to give casual sports fans (myself included) a reason to support the program. That's true in every big city in America. The Cardinals and Blues (and the Rams when they gave a damn) have done that. 

wait you are a regular here and only a casual fan?   that's f'd up.

NextYearBill likes this

3 minutes ago, Brighton said:

It would be awkward for a non alum to go all in. 

that makes no sense.

With social media the way it is now I think it's fair to say the kids these days are much more visible to the general fan in St. Louis. Highlight reals etc. There's no doubt in my mind, interest in the program goes up with local talent playing a major role. I've always felt that the average fan in St. Louis doesn't associate with the Jesuit middle/upper middle class institution that is SLU. Having a team full of players that come from the same teams and backgrounds as the average fan is what will make the Billikens St. Louis's basketball team.  My Mizzou friends who have always looked down at SLU but would be considered normal basketball fans are very intrigued by next year's roster makeup and are considering getting season tickets.

The A10 championship and NCAA berth came at the perfect time. Now they just need to keep it going.

4 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

We've had three decent multi year stretches in the past 35 years.  Two of the three were led by local talent.  As Pistol points out, RM did it without much local flavor, but that was just his way.  The other two were driven by Bonner, Gray, and Douglas and by Highmark and Clagget (there may have been some more locals on that team that I'm not remembering right now - Luchtefeld was sort of local).

We certainly don't need local talent to be good, but if we have a better chance with local guys and the talent pool here can be deep more often than not, then why not do what Ford is doing and develop a solid local recruiting base.  I'm thinking we are just entering our fourth stretch of success in the last 40 years and this team will be made of a bunch of local guys.

We are fortunate that a great recruiter fell in our lap just as St. Louis was rising as a basketball hotbed.  Compared to Chicago, we're really punching above our weight right now.

31 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We are fortunate that a great recruiter fell in our lap just as St. Louis was rising as a basketball hotbed.  Compared to Chicago, we're really punching above our weight right now.

AAU programs take a lot of heat, but the local ones here have done a great job developing talent.  The grade school staffs all the way up to those on the U17 programs deserve a ton of praise locally on this.

3star_recruit likes this

St. Louis hasn't changed in my 45 year association with the town .....the baseball Cardinals can do no wrong, the Blues are a cyclical yo-yo,  and the rest, including the only major D1 program in town, are only supported if they win.  The Spirit of St. Louis.  The football Cardinals.  The Greatest Show on Turf.  The Steamers.  The St. Louis Hawks.  The Browns.  The St. Louis Stars.  The St. Louis Ambush.  St. Louis Athletica.  Gone.  Gone.  Gone.  Gone.  Gone.  Gone.  Gone.  Gone.  Gone.  

The losingest team in baseball has called Philadelphia home since 1883.  The Knicks are never rumored to move.  Hockey went back to Minnesota, where ponds are frozen year round.  Ditto football to Cleveland.  Despite being the hotbed of American soccer, the MLS has seen fit to put teams in Columbus and Vancouver but avoided St. Louis to date.  Trend?  Reality?

The last place Cubs would come to play the ninth place Cardinals on the last weekend of the season and 50,000 fans would pack Busch each game of the three-game series.  Only the Cardinals.  

3 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

With social media the way it is now I think it's fair to say the kids these days are much more visible to the general fan in St. Louis. Highlight reals etc. There's no doubt in my mind, interest in the program goes up with local talent playing a major role. I've always felt that the average fan in St. Louis doesn't associate with the Jesuit middle/upper middle class institution that is SLU. Having a team full of players that come from the same teams and backgrounds as the average fan is what will make the Billikens St. Louis's basketball team.  My Mizzou friends who have always looked down at SLU but would be considered normal basketball fans are very intrigued by next year's roster makeup and are considering getting season tickets.

The A10 championship and NCAA berth came at the perfect time. Now they just need to keep it going.

To me SLU's Jesuit affiliation is immaterial to its basketball program.

The city is not responsible for SLU's lack of continuity at the D1 level through the decades. Just stupid.

Oh, and Philly lost the Athletics in the 50's.

Minnesota lost the Lakers,  NY lost the Dodgers and Giants , NJ lost the Nets, Cleveland lost the Rams AND the original Browns.

...and lastly, if you paid attention, we're in the process of getting an MLS franchise.

You may have gone to school here, but you'll never be one of us.

17 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

To me SLU's Jesuit affiliation is immaterial to its basketball program.

I think SLU is one of the oldest universities in the state of Missouri was founded by someone belonging to the church. Regardless they serve a purpose, but not significant. It would be cool if some jesuits come out and cheer occasionally.

Can’t argue with having some more blue representation in Chafeitz. It would feel more local because it’s a close-knit community with fans and students. Now back on topic... Recruitment is good now with local talent from ‘20-22 classes. Future is looking pleasant with the current status, despite past conflicts.

9 minutes ago, Brighton said:

The city is not responsible for SLU's lack of continuity at the D1 level through the decades. Just stupid.

Oh, and Philly lost the Athletics in the 50's.

You may have gone to school here, but you'll never be one of us.

Taj is......

giphy.gif

Box and Won likes this

Of course its stupid ..... one only need to look at the author of the statement.  I never said the city  is responsible for SLU's lack of continuity.  I said St. Louis was a front runner kind of city.  With the lone exception being the baseball Cardinals.  Twenty four teams in the ML which founded in 1993.  And yet not a single leap into the pond of the hotbed of American soccer.  How can that be?  What do they know?

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Imagine being a non fan telling people that they can’t be a real fan if they didn’t attend the university. 

Good ol 05.

You can't be one if you torch the city that you came from across the country to live and earn an education in for four years. I have no respect for that individual.  AT ALL. You want local support?  Then this shouldn't be tolerated, because let's be honest, the fanbase is aging and dying out each year.  You need us not the other way around. We've gotten enough of that from the national media and garbage NFL. SLU needs more Doc Chaifetzs and less Taj79s.

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Of course its stupid ..... one only need to look at the author of the statement.  I never said the city  is responsible for SLU's lack of continuity.  I said St. Louis was a front runner kind of city.  With the lone exception being the baseball Cardinals.  Twenty four teams in the ML which founded in 1993.  And yet not a single leap into the pond of the hotbed of American soccer.  How can that be?  What do they know?

This is just wrong. The MLS not being here has nothing to do with whether or not they believed St. Louis would support a team.  With very few exceptions all cities are frontrunners to some extent. Team wins more fans come. Seems pretty simple. How about those frontrunning Oriole fans?  Approximately 20% less came last year than the year before and about 33% less than 2014 when they made the playoffs. 

almaman likes this