Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
SluSignGuy

Mike Lewis II - Coming Home

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree that Lewis will get heavy minutes, whatever that means.  Also, we have found that HS/Prep School stats don't translate directly to D1.  Thatch shot 40%+ 3FG in HS his last year.  He was 27% last season.  Lewis has a career 36% 3FG shot in D1.  That should translate better than HS/Prep -> D1.

Name the last elite prep school shooter that came to SLU.  I'll wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fred didn’t bring the ball up court because option #1 was a grad transfer, option #3 was a senior, and option #2 was Goodwin. He was not the tall center wheelman on the inbound play, so that all means he was the last option for most situations on the floor.

Thatch got his playing time due to his defense, and spent the lions share of his time working on his defensive skills. He is quite capable of making similar improvements in his ball handling and his shooting. I wouldn’t expect his distribution skills to change markedly until he plays a couple years with good slashers and shooters- experience is  the catalyst for change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, almaman said:

No Hargrove?

Not at the 3, given our lack of depth at forward. I was just speculating on backcourt minutes, nothing in the front court. I’d guess he averages the most of any freshman, probably north of 20mpg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pistol said:

 

Yeah it sounds like the new NCAA transfer rule is pretty narrow and doesn’t actually apply to Lewis. That is dumb 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me understand Lewis's situation. If he gets a waiver he can be eligible come October and play the entire season and then is done? That basically makes him a GT. If he has to wait until January he gets a half season and then gets to play all of the '20-'21 season? Kind of prefer the latter scenario. Am I correct in both cases? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice article in the post today about him.  Has already communicated with some of the players, including Yuri.  Wants to come in a support the team not step on toes.  Do whatever is needed and help teach the young guys...really wanted to go to SLU from the start....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

Nice article in the post today about him.  Has already communicated with some of the players, including Yuri.  Wants to come in a support the team not step on toes.  Do whatever is needed and help teach the young guys...really wanted to go to SLU from the start....

 

Link to the story: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billikens-transfer-mike-lewis-ii-always-wanted-to-be-a/article_c60e7ced-b32c-5a6b-b7ee-83cedcbaf6c9.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Let me understand Lewis's situation. If he gets a waiver he can be eligible come October and play the entire season and then is done? That basically makes him a GT. If he has to wait until January he gets a half season and then gets to play all of the '20-'21 season? Kind of prefer the latter scenario. Am I correct in both cases? 

He has one season of eligibility left. Either gets the waiver and plays the full season or he doesn’t and plays after the fall semester. He is then done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I am going to like Mike Lewis: 

Quote

“This is the perfect time to come home,” he said. “It’s sort of a dream come true. I’ve had a relationship with those (players). I’ve known coach (Travis) Ford for a while and understand their system.”

 
Quote

He will join a backcourt that will include Jordan Goodwin, Fred Thatch Jr., Demarius Jacobs and incoming freshmen Yuri Collins and Gibson Jimerson.

“I’ve known Yuri a couple of years now,” Lewis said. “I reached out and let him know I’m coming to help, not to step on any toes. I want to help and teach what I’ve learned the last three years. They have a nucleus, and need someone who can knock down shots and lead the way. Whatever they need, I’ll be there.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He has one season of eligibility left. Either gets the waiver and plays the full season or he doesn’t and plays after the fall semester. He is then done.

Or he doesn't get a waiver, redshirts next year because he can't play the entire season, and plays his final season in 20-21. Correct???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Or he doesn't get a waiver, redshirts next year because he can't play the entire season, and plays his final season in 20-21. Correct???

 

Preposterous if he were not to get a waiver after what happened for the dude at Mizzou...that was a huge stretch.

If Lewis plays and we get at least one GT big, the entire starting lineup could foreseeable be upperclassmen....not saying Shaft or one of the freshman won’t start....but having such experience is what A10 champs and big dance teams are made of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Or he doesn't get a waiver, redshirts next year because he can't play the entire season, and plays his final season in 20-21. Correct???

That is another option. The problem with that option is it limits the number of scholarships to offer to the class of 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

The article only said play all or second half next season.  Did not say he is considering sitting a year.

Got it, I misread an earlier post that he would play fall...conference play makes much more sense, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brianstl said:

That is another option. The problem with that option is it limits the number of scholarships to offer to the class of 2020

Agreed. The only reason i mentioned it was his conversation with Frank on 590, saying he is looking to play a full year, whether it's this year or next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Mark smith got a bs waiver for Mizzou so idk why Lewis can’t 

I think he will, it’s just going to take a minute to get worked out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Mark smith got a bs waiver for Mizzou so idk why Lewis can’t 

I thought IL supported Smith's request - how important that is to the process I don't know but I wonder if Nevada will be a problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...