Mike Lewis II - Coming Home

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree that Lewis will get heavy minutes, whatever that means.  Also, we have found that HS/Prep School stats don't translate directly to D1.  Thatch shot 40%+ 3FG in HS his last year.  He was 27% last season.  Lewis has a career 36% 3FG shot in D1.  That should translate better than HS/Prep -> D1.

Name the last elite prep school shooter that came to SLU.  I'll wait.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred didn’t bring the ball up court because option #1 was a grad transfer, option #3 was a senior, and option #2 was Goodwin. He was not the tall center wheelman on the inbound play, so that all means he was the last option for most situations on the floor.

Thatch got his playing time due to his defense, and spent the lions share of his time working on his defensive skills. He is quite capable of making similar improvements in his ball handling and his shooting. I wouldn’t expect his distribution skills to change markedly until he plays a couple years with good slashers and shooters- experience is  the catalyst for change.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

No Hargrove?

Not at the 3, given our lack of depth at forward. I was just speculating on backcourt minutes, nothing in the front court. I’d guess he averages the most of any freshman, probably north of 20mpg. 

Let me understand Lewis's situation. If he gets a waiver he can be eligible come October and play the entire season and then is done? That basically makes him a GT. If he has to wait until January he gets a half season and then gets to play all of the '20-'21 season? Kind of prefer the latter scenario. Am I correct in both cases? 

6 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

Nice article in the post today about him.  Has already communicated with some of the players, including Yuri.  Wants to come in a support the team not step on toes.  Do whatever is needed and help teach the young guys...really wanted to go to SLU from the start....

Link to the story: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billikens-transfer-mike-lewis-ii-always-wanted-to-be-a/article_c60e7ced-b32c-5a6b-b7ee-83cedcbaf6c9.html

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Let me understand Lewis's situation. If he gets a waiver he can be eligible come October and play the entire season and then is done? That basically makes him a GT. If he has to wait until January he gets a half season and then gets to play all of the '20-'21 season? Kind of prefer the latter scenario. Am I correct in both cases? 

He has one season of eligibility left. Either gets the waiver and plays the full season or he doesn’t and plays after the fall semester. He is then done.

27 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I am going to like Mike Lewis: 

“This is the perfect time to come home,” he said. “It’s sort of a dream come true. I’ve had a relationship with those (players). I’ve known coach (Travis) Ford for a while and understand their system.”

He will join a backcourt that will include Jordan Goodwin, Fred Thatch Jr., Demarius Jacobs and incoming freshmen Yuri Collins and Gibson Jimerson.

“I’ve known Yuri a couple of years now,” Lewis said. “I reached out and let him know I’m coming to help, not to step on any toes. I want to help and teach what I’ve learned the last three years. They have a nucleus, and need someone who can knock down shots and lead the way. Whatever they need, I’ll be there.”

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He has one season of eligibility left. Either gets the waiver and plays the full season or he doesn’t and plays after the fall semester. He is then done.

Or he doesn't get a waiver, redshirts next year because he can't play the entire season, and plays his final season in 20-21. Correct???

Billikenbooster likes this

20 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Or he doesn't get a waiver, redshirts next year because he can't play the entire season, and plays his final season in 20-21. Correct???

Preposterous if he were not to get a waiver after what happened for the dude at Mizzou...that was a huge stretch.

If Lewis plays and we get at least one GT big, the entire starting lineup could foreseeable be upperclassmen....not saying Shaft or one of the freshman won’t start....but having such experience is what A10 champs and big dance teams are made of.

18 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

That is another option. The problem with that option is it limits the number of scholarships to offer to the class of 2020

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

That is another option. The problem with that option is it limits the number of scholarships to offer to the class of 2020

Agreed. The only reason i mentioned it was his conversation with Frank on 590, saying he is looking to play a full year, whether it's this year or next.