Mike Lewis II - Coming Home

Lewis averaged 14 a game in the A-10 as a Freshman. There's no conversion from a lower conference or a Power 5 role player. He has A-10 experience. That's huge in my opinion. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. The team dynamic and offensive scheme will be different, but we know he can contribute (and thrive) at this level. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is an issue that some people here have confused. Keith Dambrot came to Duquesne after Lewis’ freshman year. Lewis played for him as a sophomore, and then transferred during his junior year this past season. I only bring this up because I have seen it suggested that because Dambrot arrived, Lewis’ numbers immediately dropped significantly, which caused him to transfer. He did pretty well as a sophomore under Dambrot. I hope he can get a waiver to play this season, but I don’t think that his transfer situation from Duquesne will be a help in that process.

1 hour ago, MattyMo213 said:

He didn’t really address that (sounds like good news he’ll get a waiver) but I assume he’d sit out all year next year and play in 2020-2021

I think Ford tries to get the waiver and he is counting on it.  If not, I think Lewis plays just the second semester so the scholarship is available for 2020.  He still would play two-thirds+ of the season.  My gut feel, with zero insight, is that may be the condition for the scholarship.  Just seems to be the most logical thing for Ford to do. 

27 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I think Ford tries to get the waiver and he is counting on it.  If not, I think Lewis plays just the second semester so the scholarship is available for 2020.  He still would play two-thirds+ of the season.  My gut feel, with zero insight, is that may be the condition for the scholarship.  Just seems to be the most logical thing for Ford to do. 

I don't think Ford takes him if he wasn't confident that he would be eligible in the fall. Here's Frank's interview with Lewis....go to segment 3...

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thepressbox/2019/04/15/segment-3--mike-lewis-41519

To answer one question he is still at Nevada.  Mike said he is 6'2", 190 lbs.  He is going for the full year, be it next season or the following season.  He is coming home second week of May when classes end and then he heads to Chaifetz.  

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Just stop, you can never have too much talent! I want the best players on the court. Our coach should always be trying to bring in the best talent possible. I’m not worrying about minutes, I’m concerned about winning. It’s impossible to please all 13 players on a basketball roster.

Lol...It's ok to have differing opinions.  Thanks for sharing yours.

Lewis is a great addition to a team with no proven returning perimeter scorers. He'll have to improve defensively to fit in with our group, but we REALLY need some offensive output, so he should help solve that glaring need right away; he had a 114.8 ORtg as a sophomore, and Bess led our team at 115.4 this past season.

Honestly the most similar player to him that we already had coming in next year would be Jimerson, and I kind of hope that the two of them split a good amount of time next year so that we always have a shooter on the floor. Love the amount of competition that there will be for playing time next year, and that some of those guys will be contributors offensively.

The Wiz likes this

After listening to the interview, I am pretty sure that he wants the waiver so he can start playing at SLU in Nov, this year but either way my impression is that he will only be at SLU for the next school year.  Therefore he is in effect like a GT, not tying up a 2020 scholarship.  Also, since he is finishing this school year at Neveda, he will have completed 3 full academic years and if he has taken normal loads, he will be on track to graduate at the end on the 2019-2020 school year.

I hope this does not impact on Jacobs staying.  I still think he has lots of potential.

And another possible issue pointed out in the "A10 Talk" article posted on Billikens.com.  Quote from article......"Due to his time in Nevada, it is unlikely that Lewis will have to sit the two years that A-10 players transferring to another A-10 school typically would".

Here's hoping the author is correct with his "unlikely" comment.

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm just glad the kid got to come home. If he's going to be a designated shooter off the bench his senior year, he might as well do it in front of friends and family who appreciate him. Maybe Jayson Tatum will be in the house on senior night.

Free Imo's?!

On 4/15/2019 at 11:44 AM, 3star_recruit said:

I'm just glad the kid got to come home. If he's going to be a designated shooter off the bench his senior year, he might as well do it in front of friends and family who appreciate him. Maybe Jayson Tatum will be in the house on senior night.

Why are you so sure he will come off the bench? Even if he does, I would expect him to play something close to starter's minutes.

28 minutes ago, ACE said:

Why are you so sure he will come off the bench? Even if he does, I would expect him to play something close to starter's minutes.

There are only so many minutes for guards that don’t have some D1 point guard skills. 

i would say lewis mpg will be predicated on how well jimerson plays and how much thatch and goodwin improve scoring wise.   as things stand right now, i assume lewis will play wiley minutes - 10-15 minutes a game.  

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Lewis could get starter minutes. It all depends on how well he shoots.  Everything else Thatch does better. In the case of defense, much better.

With the departure of Bess, Thatch becomes our top defender, so there is an opportunity to get some additional minutes at the 3 in a three-guard lineup.  Bess played a remarkable 37 mpg last year. While Perkins figures to step in at the 3 - he will not play JB minutes. Yes, Hargrove will be in the mix as well.  

Offensively, a backcourt of Goodwin and Thatch is not ideal, unless you pair them with a couple of shooters - that's why there will be plenty of opportunity for Lewis. 

1 hour ago, ACE said:

With the departure of Bess, Thatch becomes our top defender, so there is an opportunity to get some additional minutes at the 3 in a three-guard lineup.  Bess played a remarkable 37 mpg last year. While Perkins figures to step in at the 3 - he will not play JB minutes. Yes, Hargrove will be in the mix as well.  

Offensively, a backcourt of Goodwin and Thatch is not ideal, unless you pair them with a couple of shooters - that's why there will be plenty of opportunity for Lewis. 

Only if he wins the starting spot.  Let me pose a scenario where Thatch is the starter and plays some at the 3. And this assumes the most favorable circumstances, where Jacobs doesn't play at all, Hargrove logs no minutes at the 3, and Thatch plays less than 25 min a game.

Goodwin/Collins 25/15

Thatch/Lewis/Jimerson 16/14/10

Perkins/Thatch/Goodwin 25/8/7

This is why Brian and I have been harping on the importance of point guard skills for small guards.  It allows them to stay on the floor.  Otherwise they have to shoot the lights out.

Zink and brianstl like this