Mike Lewis II - Coming Home

How about this lineup to close out close games where we have a 10 pt or less lead and the other team has no way to go except to foul us?

Lewis, Collins, Jimerson, Perkins and Thatch.  Go ahead and foul that group!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Lewis was enrolled in school and on the roster.  He was practicing with the team and on the bench for home games.  He did count against the scholarship limit since he was paying his own way.  He was technically a walk-on last semester, but the same eligibility rules apply to walk-ons. 

I assume you meant he did NOT count against the scholarship limit.

16 minutes ago, bauman said:

How about this lineup to close out close games where we have a 10 pt or less lead and the other team has no way to go except to foul us?

Lewis, Collins, Jimerson, Perkins and Thatch.  Go ahead and foul that group!

I do worry about putting 3 underclassmen on the floor in that situation.

-if CFord thinks Lewis is good enough to play for us, I'm for it

-for those thinking getting a waiver from the NCAA is a guarantee you have way more faith in the corrupt and inept organization than I do; also there is the deal about does Duq still have some control or say over where or when he can play, watching this one will be interesting

billiken_roy likes this

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well here's hoping frank clarifies when he will actually see the floor and for how long.   

I don't think there is any way to know the answer to the two items you mention until the waiver is granted/not granted by the NCAA wjich can be further complicated by the Duq issue.

This could drag out longer than Sit 2😡

13 hours ago, The Wiz said:

This year's Bess stats vs Lewis II career stats ( He didn't play a full season this year)

..............................FG%...............2P%..............3P%............FT%...........Reb...........Ast..............Stl.............Pts

Bess......................39...................45.................33................79.............6.8..........1.8.................1.4............15.3

Lewis II..................40...................45.................36................82.............2.1..........1.1.................0.8............14.1

giphy.gif

Just listened to Lewis with Frank. Started off asking how it feels that he wasn't initially recruited by Crews. Lewis said he always played with a chip on his shoulder but reiterated that "it's all love now". In regard to his eligibility, he said he played over the minimum amount of games to redshirt last year, and even though he didn't play this semester the whole year kind of counts as a wash. He said they're fighting to get a waiver for him, should get more news on it this week, and would be happy having one year left and playing this upcoming season. Last they kinda talked about Tatum and Lewis said he talks to him almost everyday and is hoping to go see him in the playoffs this year.

Zink, Pistol, HoosierPal and 1 other like this

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Got a lot of guards next year. I would think the one that this impacts the most is Jacobs. Nothing wrong with a lot of competition, as it tends to bring the best out in players.

Can't get the best from players if they are on the bench.  Lewis (if eligible) plus Jacobs, Yuri, Goodwin and Thatch in the backcourt.  If you put a 3 or four guard rotation that affects mins for Hargrove, Jimerson and Perkins on the wing.  Gotta remember Ford is still searching for bigs to pair with French.  They will get mins along with Bell if he shows he's ready.  Plus you still have Hankton.  Maybe the plan is to play more uptempo,  more pressing,  deeper bench...definitely have the players for it next year. 

5 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Can't get the best from players if they are on the bench.  Lewis (if eligible) plus Jacobs, Yuri, Goodwin and Thatch in the backcourt.  If you put a 3 or four guard rotation that affects mins for Hargrove, Jimerson and Perkins on the wing.  Gotta remember Ford is still searching for bigs to pair with French.  They will get mins along with Bell if he shows he's ready.  Plus you still have Hankton.  Maybe the plan is to play more uptempo,  more pressing,  deeper bench...definitely have the players for it next year. 

Just stop, you can never have too much talent! I want the best players on the court. Our coach should always be trying to bring in the best talent possible. I’m not worrying about minutes, I’m concerned about winning. It’s impossible to please all 13 players on a basketball roster.

ACE, dennis_w and Zink like this

Seems like every year since Ford has been coach we wring our hands and talk about too many players, not enough minutes, etc. then, unfortunately, something happens and we end up with 7 or so players that can be trusted in big games. I'm not worried about lack of playing time...

Sounds to me like we'll have Lewis from mid-December on at worst and hopefully all year if the Nevada coaching change gets him the waiver. Good stuff!

Bizziken likes this

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Seems like every year since Ford has been coach we wring our hands and talk about too many players, not enough minutes, etc. then, unfortunately, something happens and we end up with 7 or so players that can be trusted in big games. I'm not worried about lack of playing time...

Sounds to me like we'll have Lewis from mid-December on at worst and hopefully all year if the Nevada coaching change gets him the waiver. Good stuff!

This. Give me all of the players and then some. As we know S H I T always happens. 

33 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

Just listened to Lewis with Frank. Started off asking how it feels that he wasn't initially recruited by Crews. Lewis said he always played with a chip on his shoulder but reiterated that "it's all love now". In regard to his eligibility, he said he played over the minimum amount of games to redshirt last year, and even though he didn't play this semester the whole year kind of counts as a wash. He said they're fighting to get a waiver for him, should get more news on it this week, and would be happy having one year left and playing this upcoming season. Last they kinda talked about Tatum and Lewis said he talks to him almost everyday and is hoping to go see him in the playoffs this year.

Did you get an idea of what he would do if he doesn't get the waiver? i.e. play the second half of this coming season or sit out a year and play all of next season?

I think this is a decent thing if we get him for one year and that is the upcoming year 2019-2020.  For as good as the kid was his freshmen and sophomore years, I watched him fade last year.  He was either hurt, playing bad, playing of position r not in tune with Dambrot and Dambrot cut bait with him.  Of course, if he was 14th best returning player in A10 teammate Williams was just ahead or behind him.  And he's now gone too.  That is like six players gone since the season started with Dambrot ----- and I think half were "his" guys. 

Hopefully, Lewis can be a little better than Wiley was.  If I'm Demarious Jacobs, I'm wondering just a little ...............

24 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I'm just glad the kid got to come home. If he's going to be a designated shooter off the bench his senior year, he might as well do it in front of friends and family who appreciate him. Maybe Jayson Tatum will be in the house on senior night.

48 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

I wish I had heard the interview.  Can you clarify what Lewis meant by "happy having one year left and playing this upcoming season."  Was he saying that he would just be playing the 2019-20 season so in effect he would be like a grad transfer and not be taking up a 2020 scholarship?

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm just glad the kid got to come home. If he's going to be a designated shooter off the bench his senior year, he might as well do it in front of friends and family who appreciate him. Maybe Jayson Tatum will be in the house on senior night.

True true 👌

15 minutes ago, bauman said:

I wish I had heard the interview.  Can you clarify what Lewis meant by "happy having one year left and playing this upcoming season."  Was he saying that he would just be playing the 2019-20 season so in effect he would be like a grad transfer and not be taking up a 2020 scholarship?

My take from it was that by traditional rules he would have to sit out 2019-20 but he has a strong feeling and would be happiest if he essentially acted like a grad transfer and was able to play immediately and have one year left 

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Did you get an idea of what he would do if he doesn't get the waiver? i.e. play the second half of this coming season or sit out a year and play all of next season?

He didn’t really address that (sounds like good news he’ll get a waiver) but I assume he’d sit out all year next year and play in 2020-2021