Chaifetz Arena

Hold the f*%} on.

All those people are there to watch dudes play video games?

Seriously?

Why the F would I want to watch some zit faced teen play Golden eye?

Why would I pay money to watch this when I can just plug in the Nintendo and play some Mario Kart?

People really fill up arenas to watch this stuff? I knew it was on TV, which is bad enough, but 8000 people want to watch it live?

Crazy.

TaLBErt likes this

• 4 months later...

-SIUE has a deal with First Community Credit Union , 10years $2.3mil, for naming rights for their arena, going to be First Community Arena at Vadalabene Center, would we consider something similar? I think it's obvious any such deal would have to be okayed by Doc

-Vadalabene was an IL state senator, I was not aware

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-SIUE has a deal with First Community Credit Union , 10years $2.3mil, for naming rights for their arena, going to be First Community Arena at Vadalabene Center, would we consider something similar? I think it's obvious any such deal would have to be okayed by Doc

Wut?

2010andBeyond likes this

9 hours ago, Cowboy said:

I’m trying to figure out exactly how think this would work? 

9 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Ewww, you cannot have arena and center 

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Places will do anything to squeeze out a buck. Naming rights for the lights, PBLs (Personal Bathroom Licenses to take a pee), charge for WiFi, etc. I’m exaggerating of course, but having naming rights for the floor and the facility has happened.

Chaifetz already has sold the rights for the floor IIRC. I believe it is Centene Court. 

On 4/13/2019 at 11:17 PM, dlarry said:

Hold the f*%} on.

All those people are there to watch dudes play video games?

Seriously?

Why the F would I want to watch some zit faced teen play Golden eye?

Why would I pay money to watch this when I can just plug in the Nintendo and play some Mario Kart?

People really fill up arenas to watch this stuff? I knew it was on TV, which is bad enough, but 8000 people want to watch it live?

Crazy.

Couldn’t the same be said about any game?

The appeal and gravitation towards viewing streamers in the same realm as athletes comes from a perceived ability for anyone to become good at it. It really doesn't matter who you are, anyone can become good at videogames. The growth of the e-sports world fascinates me, and I think it is going to become an increasingly large part of mainstream entertainment offerings. There's big money in e-sports, with advertisers coming in every day, and a worldwide audience of gamers who are potential future pros. As crazy as it may sound, it almost might be easier to sell the idea to a kid of becoming a pro gamer than becoming a pro athlete. It doesn't matter what you look like, if you can game, you can game. I personally can't wait to see what this industry looks like in ten years. 

25 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

The appeal and gravitation towards viewing streamers in the same realm as athletes comes from a perceived ability for anyone to become good at it. It really doesn't matter who you are, anyone can become good at videogames. The growth of the e-sports world fascinates me, and I think it is going to become an increasingly large part of mainstream entertainment offerings. There's big money in e-sports, with advertisers coming in every day, and a worldwide audience of gamers who are potential future pros. As crazy as it may sound, it almost might be easier to sell the idea to a kid of becoming a pro gamer than becoming a pro athlete. It doesn't matter what you look like, if you can game, you can game. I personally can't wait to see what this industry looks like in ten years. 

WSOP. It’ll fade eventually but will still be very popular. Like I said in a previous thread, it’s the perfect time for niche sports and competitions(video games are not sports)

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

WSOP. It’ll fade eventually but will still be very popular. Like I said in a previous thread, it’s the perfect time for niche sports and competitions(video games are not sports)

I guarantee e-sports have a greater place in our cultural lexicon than WSOP ever had in ten years. 

12 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I guarantee e-sports have a greater place in our cultural lexicon than WSOP ever had in ten years. 

you lost me at e-sports, it can't be a sport if you have to pay a specific company to play a sport at its most basic level. It will stay relevant just by virtue of that their are a wider range of games to play.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

you lost me at e-sports, it can't be a sport if you have to pay a specific company to play a sport at its most basic level. It will stay relevant just by virtue of that their are a wider range of games to play.

E-sports sounds cooler than pro gaming. It all goes back to males wanting to be sports stars, even those who are physically incapable of playing sports.

3 hours ago, BillsCPA said:

Couldn’t the same be said about any game?

Sure but I could never in my wildest dreams do a 360 dunk. 

I can grab a controller and hit up up down down left right left right B A select start get my 30 guys in Contra and kick some serious ass.

growing up waiting your turn to play a video game sucked and I was watching friends play. I sure don’t want to watch strangers do it and never get to play myself.

15 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Sure but I could never in my wildest dreams do a 360 dunk. 

I can grab a controller and hit up up down down left right left right B A select start get my 30 guys in Contra and kick some serious ass.

growing up waiting your turn to play a video game sucked and I was watching friends play. I sure don’t want to watch strangers do it and never get to play myself.

And you could never in your wildest dreams do the things esports pros do. People love to watch greatness. That's all it is. They can do things that almost no one else can.

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

And you could never in your wildest dreams do the things esports pros do. People love to watch greatness. That's all it is. They can do things that almost no one else can.

mmmmm if I quit my job I could. It takes skill and athleticism to play a sport professionally. It takes skill to play video games professionally, I can learn a video game. I can't learn pro athleticism.

AGB91 likes this

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

mmmmm if I quit my job I could. It takes skill and athleticism to play a sport professionally. It takes skill to play video games professionally, I can learn a video game. I can't learn pro athleticism.

Ehh you couldn't in my opinion. It would take years and years of all day practice to get to the point alot of these guys are at. I'm not comparing it to sports. I'm saying thats why people watch because these gamers have spent their lives perfecting their craft just like pro athletes. People love to watch people do things they cant do. Not trying to have a conversation about e sports. Season needs to get here.

Zink likes this

Saw a headline disputing the long held 10,000 hours trope for mastering something, think Ground Hogs Day movie. Involved violin players I think. One difference tween real sports and E great as the physicality of most traditional sport's best participants, E sports stands alone for sometimes being useful skill for military.