Men's Soccer 2019

Pistol

59 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Big loss to Dayton last night it appears. I did not go or watch the game. Can anyone comment on the game?

From the summary it appears we were losing 2 to 0 until the 89th minute to make it more respectable score of 2 to 1. Either way, a bad loss, to a not so good team - and at home. Maybe we took them for granted? Maybe looking past Dayton and only forward to Virginia?

Could have been Dayton got up for this game against us. You put a number to the left of a team and its a target. We were down 1-0 for an hour of that game. From what I could tell we dominated them in possession but just couldn’t break through. They seemed to park the bus and be happy taking their shot on the counter. 

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Could have been Dayton got up for this game against us. You put a number to the left of a team and its a target. We were down 1-0 for an hour of that game. From what I could tell we dominated them in possession but just couldn’t break through. They seemed to park the bus and be happy taking their shot on the counter. 

Got caught looking ahead to Virginia.

For the 5th time this season SLU has allowed a goal in the first 12 minutes or less. 

I didn’t really see anything different or unusual. It is going to happen once or twice in league play. Dayton had been playing a little better of late but it is a bad home loss. 

Speaking of bad home losses...Virginia lost at home to Pitt. 2-0. It’s a bad home loss. It is UVA’s first loss in 12 games. I also thought James Madison gave them a good game. UVA had been at and near the top if United Soccer poll as well as RPI.

Tuesday’s showdown is a great opportunity for SLU. For those that will not be at Klockner stadium in Charlottesville, VA, the game will be available via ESPN app, no ESPN plus subscription required. 7est, 6pm cst.

5 hours ago, courtside said:

For the 5th time this season SLU has allowed a goal in the first 12 minutes or less. 

I didn’t really see anything different or unusual. It is going to happen once or twice in league play. Dayton had been playing a little better of late but it is a bad home loss. 

Speaking of bad home losses...Virginia lost at home to Pitt. 2-0. It’s a bad home loss. It is UVA’s first loss in 12 games. I also thought James Madison gave them a good game. UVA had been at and near the top if United Soccer poll as well as RPI.

Tuesday’s showdown is a great opportunity for SLU. For those that will not be at Klockner stadium in Charlottesville, VA, the game will be available via ESPN app, no ESPN plus subscription required. 7est, 6pm cst.

It’s listed as ACC Network Xtra which makes me extremely nervous that I won’t be able to watch. 

Edit: just as I suspected it’s not available on my app. 

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s listed as ACC Network Xtra which makes me extremely nervous that I won’t be able to watch. 

If you have the ACC network with your television package Dish, DirecTV, Spectrum, Youtube TV, etc......it is available via ESPN app. .....If you do not have those types of services, I am uncertain if you can get it if you only have ESPN plus package. I have watched several ACC games via ESPN app when listed as ACC extra. I have watched many SEC women's soccer games on SEC plus or extra or whatever. Any time a game is listed as ACC extra or SEC plus etc....I have never had trouble getting the game via ESPN app.

Games that specifically say ESPN plus are the ESPN online subscription games. The television channel ACC Network has been very similar to SEC Network.

Just now, courtside said:

If you have the ACC network with your television package Dish, DirecTV, Spectrum, Youtube TV, etc......it is available via ESPN app. .....If you do not have those types of services, I am uncertain if you can get it if you only have ESPN plus package. I have watched several ACC games via ESPN app when listed as ACC extra. I have watched many SEC women's soccer games on SEC plus or extra or whatever. Any time a game is listed as ACC extra or SEC plus etc....I have never had trouble getting the game via ESPN app.

Games that say ESPN plus are the ESPN online subscription games.

That’s what’s weird. I have ATT TV Now and get the ACC network

I didn't watch the game, but it sure sounds like it was the perfect storm for a loss: Rivalry game, trap game, an opponent happy with packing in the defense after getting an early goal. Bad loss either way, I hope it fires up the Bills heading to UVA for the big road test. UVA is good but beatable obviously, they will be fired up as well. This loss goes away with a win over Virginia. 

Rhode Island, SLU, and VCU all with 1 loss currently in the A10 soccer standings. 

46 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Just can't beat the national big boys …..

Not often at this time, no. Not often this decade, no. The previous one, yes. Next decade? Hope so. Virginia this season has wins over Maryland, Duke,  NC State, Notre Dame, James Madison among others. SLU wasn’t expected to defeat UVA on the road this season. Notre Dame and Memphis were two biggest opportunities missed this season thus far. It’s tough to go undefeated in any league, so having an isolated blemish there is also expected. Kalish is only in his 2nd season. He’ll get his fair time and opportunity to see what he can do like anyone else. Many have been encouraged and hopeful with a variety of things on and off the field thus far. But yes the bottom line results haven’t changed significantly just yet this season. SLU is a bubble team this year.  

6 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

All three goals should not have happened. That's the difference between upper tier teams and SLU.

1st goal - Many guys in the box that can't clear it

2nd goal - No excuse

3rd goal - horrible clearance attempt that led to goal

Yep. It had all the same markings that the Notre Dame game had except Virginia is much better on defense than the irish

I agree, all 3 goals could/should have been prevented. 

1. How the heck does someone not just clear that ball? 

2. Nothing to say? Just one of those things that happen to every goalkeeper at some point. 

3. Player trips over ball turning it over to UVA. Then Schulte needs to take 1 step forward to close the angle on that shot. He had time but he chose to sit too deep. Also the level of intensity from SLU on closing on the shooter and the guy who assisted was pretty sad.