Men's Soccer 2019

Pistol

NCAA Men's Soccer RPI Rankings

Bills show up at #21 on the first RPI rankings. Very solid. 

Past/Future Bills Opponents with notable rankings: #1 UVA, #6 SMU, #17 Notre Dame, #91 Denver, #123 Dayton, #119 Duquesne, #171 Fordham. 

Highlights the importance of taking care of business in the A10 for the rest of the season. 

Pistol and brianstl like this

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

NCAA Men's Soccer RPI Rankings

Bills show up at #21 on the first RPI rankings. Very solid. 

Past/Future Bills Opponents with notable rankings: #1 UVA, #6 SMU, #17 Notre Dame, #91 Denver, #123 Dayton, #119 Duquesne, #171 Fordham. 

Highlights the importance of taking care of business in the A10 for the rest of the season. 

Upcoming Denver has fared well below expectations with many close losses with a very tough schedule. Notre Dame broke a 4 game ACC losing streak with a 1-0 home win over Duke in a bad rain storm. St. Louisan Jack Lynn with the game winner.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Thanks to those of you who have kept this thread updated throughout the season. I see we play Denver tomorrow night, I hope the fans give their coach hell (assuming they still have the same coach). Anyone headed to UVA for the game next week?

Jamie Franks looks like a pretty dorky bro... But is there any specific reason we should be hating on Denver's coach? I am v curious. 

4 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Jamie Franks looks like a pretty dorky bro... But is there any specific reason we should be hating on Denver's coach? I am v curious. 

I went to the SLU/Denver game (it was either last year or the year before) and their coach was a b!tch. Constantly complaining to the officials and I think he even got into it with one of our players, the guy was banty af.

prebilliken likes this

The game tonight will be streamed on ESPN+

I went ahead and got the yearly subscription at a discount saved $10 (enough for $ for 6 easy drinking Busch Light tall boys at my local 7-11).

Many SLU men and women’s soccer games have been available via ESPN plus. 

I’d have to check but I would imagine the UVA game would be an ESPN app game. The ACC, SEC, Pac 12, show many tv games via their networks (and ESPNU) as well as ESPN app. The Big Ten also shows many via their channel and Fox streaming. A-10, w/o a national tv network would need to play schools from the above leagues to get more tv games and ESPN app games. But many SLU men and women’s soccer games have been available via ESPN plus. You would also want to check opposing team’s websites as some opponent’s have their own network or league affiliated network (Big East) for games as well. 

18 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I went to the SLU/Denver game (it was either last year or the year before) and their coach was a b!tch. Constantly complaining to the officials and I think he even got into it with one of our players, the guy was banty af.

If there is one thing I am always pro, it is constant, borderline-inappropriate, unceasing smack talk aimed at opponents coaches. Jamie Franks looks like a nerd, someone at the game tonight remind him that he is one!

Let's Go Bills! 

Jame Franks.jpeg

rgbilliken likes this

55 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

If there is one thing I am always pro, it is constant, borderline-inappropriate, unceasing smack talk aimed at opponents coaches. Jamie Franks looks like a nerd, someone at the game tonight remind him that he is one!

Let's Go Bills! 

Jame Franks.jpeg

That is definitely the guy. My memory is not great with regards to his exact behavior, but I remember leaving the game with my friend (we sat behind the Denver bench) and we were saying how we should reach out to the athletic department concerning his actions. He definitely got into it with one of our players towards the end of the game, but I am forgetting to what extent that was. He was also aggressively getting after the officials. I boo this man.

4 minutes ago, philliken said:

Final 1-0. Another shutout.

keep that train a-rollin’.

i wish Denver was as good as years past.

Still a good win against a known program.

Yep. Top 100 team (for now), had to win, took care of business. I only saw a few minutes but from what I read it seemed like it wasn't the prettiest game. The W is all that matters, though. Bring on Dayton.

prebilliken likes this

Class finish from 3rd generation soccer Billiken John Klein, far post upper corner 22 yards out. 

Denver was highly ranked pre-season. They have had many close losses to quality teams. Washington, Stanford, Indiana, Notre Dame, SMU, tied a good Seattle team, win over Cal. They just needed a couple of results their to change their season. Now they have struggled against a few less quality teams in the middle of the season. 

prebilliken likes this

Patrick Schulte is a magician. Four shutouts and counting. Six straight wins for the Bills. 

I was hopeful there would have been a few more goals tonight in a statement win, but I agree with the sentiment that Denver is a better team than their record states. BRING ON THE FLYERS. 

I'm being hyper critical here and I realize it, Kalish has us playing our best soccer in I don't know how long and I am thankful for it. But I would really like to see us get Schulte some support by netting a few more balls. Across this 6 game win streak, our margin of victory is a slim 2 goals, only  1 goal across the year. The 4 straight shut outs have led to an impressive goal differential, but let's get the man in net a little more breathing room. 

Again, this is a hyper critical assessment of the Bills play. 

44 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I'm being hyper critical here and I realize it, Kalish has us playing our best soccer in I don't know how long and I am thankful for it. But I would really like to see us get Schulte some support by netting a few more balls. Across this 6 game win streak, our margin of victory is a slim 2 goals, only  1 goal across the year. The 4 straight shut outs have led to an impressive goal differential, but let's get the man in net a little more breathing room. 

Again, this is a hyper critical assessment of the Bills play. 

You are not hyper critical. And I do think you are correct, we are playing our best soccer in years. I go back to Joe Clark and Bob Warming. Sorry but never was a fan of Donigan or McGinty. Thank God those days are over!!

Brief thoughts from last night:

• Possession was about 60/40 in favor of SLU.  Denver had a few moments of decent possession in our half, moving the ball left to right but did not make much out of it.
  • Shots were pretty low across the board.  SLU is averaging roughly 12 and I think we ended up under 10.  
  • The front line tandem of Novaes, Becher, Klein, and Boyce were fun to watch at times, zipping the ball between each other and disrupting the backline with good runs. 
  • Although the game was close, SLU had the feel of that team where its quality would eventually come through which it did with Klein's 25 yarder.
  • Regarding the best soccer comment, I was saying last night during the game just how SLU just seemed faster, more dynamic, higher quality, etc than the last few years. It had the feel of the early 2000s SLU soccer we remember at Hermann.  Long way to go to even rightly compare this team to those, but they were playing some nice attractive soccer.

2 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Brief thoughts from last night:

• Possession was about 60/40 in favor of SLU.  Denver had a few moments of decent possession in our half, moving the ball left to right but did not make much out of it.
  • Shots were pretty low across the board.  SLU is averaging roughly 12 and I think we ended up under 10.  
  • The front line tandem of Novaes, Becher, Klein, and Boyce were fun to watch at times, zipping the ball between each other and disrupting the backline with good runs. 
  • Although the game was close, SLU had the feel of that team where its quality would eventually come through which it did with Klein's 25 yarder.
  • Regarding the best soccer comment, I was saying last night during the game just how SLU just seemed faster, more dynamic, higher quality, etc than the last few years. It had the feel of the early 2000s SLU soccer we remember at Hermann.  Long way to go to even rightly compare this team to those, but they were playing some nice attractive soccer.

I think it is about playing with more pace, moving forward with possession, but also effectively, at higher levels. Too many smaller mistakes earlier in the season led to early opponent goals, or very quick counters given up defensively. It’s getting better. I often thought Boyce was SLU’s best player last year and he’s right up there again this year with a few others. It’s Kevin’s 2nd season. He’s still mixing and matching a bit. .....UVA defeated James Madison (w/o Dike) on a nice later 2nd half strike. (James Madison was scrappy and gave them a game, and has wins over top 5 Wake Forest and top 25 Cal St. Fullerton. 

It has been an incredible turn-around.

I happen to be looking at the Massey Ratings and for the heck of it...

SLU is ranked No. 18 with an SOS rated at No. 54.

This does not include the 0-0 tie with Missouri State, a team that is 11-0 and rated at No. 7.

This includes a loss against No. 22 Notre Dame, a team that SLU maybe should have defeated and No. 1 SMU.

No. 3 rated Virginia will be a good test.

Is the A-10 tournament ever coming back to campus?

Big loss to Dayton last night it appears. I did not go or watch the game. Can anyone comment on the game?

From the summary it appears we were losing 2 to 0 until the 89th minute to make it more respectable score of 2 to 1. Either way, a bad loss, to a not so good team - and at home. Maybe we took them for granted? Maybe looking past Dayton and only forward to Virginia?