Men's Soccer 2019

Pistol

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Anyone catch the Tulsa game? Or Davidson (not sure if it was streaming)?

They're 3-2 now: 2-3 vs. #16 Notre Dame, 0-2 at #8 SMU, 2-1 at SIUE, 1-0 vs. Tulsa, 1-0 at Davidson.

They play tomorrow down at Memphis. The Tigers just upset #11 Xavier, 3-2.

In addition to the conference slate, they've got Denver at home and Marquette and #5 Virginia on the road.

How are people feeling about this team right now? About in line with expectations?

I've seen some of the men's and women's action. I tried to refrain from commenting after the ND men's game because I wasn't as rah rah thrilled with playing a top 20 ish level team close at home but losing. The first goal free kick was too big of a rebound from Schulte. The others were midfield possession turnovers and counters. I saw North Carolina defeat 2-0 this past week. UNC dominated the first half and the 2nd was a bit more even. .....UVA? Daryl Dike is a load. Very great opportunity to get a result away but will be difficult. (By the way their women's team is easily the best women's team I've seen play this year.) UVA men is best opponent this year for SLU. Denver is much better than their record. Very tough schedule, lots of close misses, top 5 opponents etc..Marquette needs to be a home win. They will not be as strong. SLU is starting to get some results. They need them in the few higher profile games upcoming. Missed opportunities v ND, SMU (they have jumped into top 10)  The women have had trouble replacing scoring this year. Both the men and women can win their leagues and/or league tourneys. The women haven't been able to get a result vs the better teams on their schedule thus far. The men have to avoid giving up the early goal which has been an issue this year.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Anyone catch the Tulsa game? Or Davidson (not sure if it was streaming)?

They're 3-2 now: 2-3 vs. #16 Notre Dame, 0-2 at #8 SMU, 2-1 at SIUE, 1-0 vs. Tulsa, 1-0 at Davidson.

They play tomorrow down at Memphis. The Tigers just upset #11 Xavier, 3-2.

In addition to the conference slate, they've got Denver at home and Marquette and #5 Virginia on the road.

How are people feeling about this team right now? About in line with expectations?

I watched the last 20-25 minutes of the Davidson game on line. The one thing that stood out to me was our complete inability to play the ball out of the back through the midfield. Davidson was down 1 and put some pressure on SLU and didn't seem to be able to maintain much possession. 

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I watched the last 20-25 minutes of the Davidson game on line. The one thing that stood out to me was our complete inability to play the ball out of the back through the midfield. Davidson was down 1 and put some pressure on SLU and didn't seem to be able to maintain much possession. 

The first half was the complete opposite. Did you see the first goal against SIUE? It was a masterclass at building from the back.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

The first half was the complete opposite. Did you see the first goal against SIUE? It was a masterclass at building from the back.

No. That's really all I've seen, so I probably should have prefaced my statement with that fact

Good to see such a thrashing last night at Marquette.  Becher got on the score sheet with a PK late and the Icelandic centerback made his way onto the field last night.  Both were expected to be solid contributors to this team coming into the season but injuries delayed their participation in games.  Hope this is boding well for the A10 season. 

19 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

Good to see such a thrashing last night at Marquette.  Becher got on the score sheet with a PK late and the Icelandic centerback made his way onto the field last night.  Both were expected to be solid contributors to this team coming into the season but injuries delayed their participation in games.  Hope this is boding well for the A10 season. 

Looks like they're both being eased back in. Becher has now appeared in limited minutes in the past three games, with Adalsteinsson appearing in two of the last three. Neither has started yet but I imagine that will change soon.

They're at UMass this Saturday at noon Central. Next home game is a week from today vs. George Mason.

22 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

Wow wow wow, 6-2 win over Marquette in Milwaukee.

3 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

For the 4th time this season, SLU gave up a goal 12 minutes or less into the game.

Marquette has had some mixed results under Bennett. They were coming off of two good wins at Xavier and vs Wisconsin. (It would be helpful for Marquette to continue to get results, especially against Georgetown, one of the better teams I’ve seen play this season.  

High marking, up and down game of fast counters.  

Upcoming opponent Virginia is the new #1 team in the country in the United soccer poll. opponent SMU (2-0 away loss) has jumped all the way to #4. Notre Dame is #29. SLU received a vote in the top 40. 

4 hours ago, prebilliken said:

This is from September but it is nice to see. We were regularly #1 on this list and I would like it to be that way again. All signs indicate Bills soccer is trending upwards where it belongs and I love seeing it. 

Soccer Crowds.JPG

I think we have one of the largest "stadiums".

Interesting to see the Cult of the Grand Canyon on the list. Don't the students get college credits for attending events?

16 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think we have one of the largest "stadiums".

Interesting to see the Cult of the Grand Canyon on the list. Don't the students get college credits for attending events?

No reason to put "stadiums" in quotations, Herman qualifies as a stadium, though I agree it is in need of improvements. 

I have no idea if GCU students get credit for going to athletic events, I do know that that for profit, fake "Christian," University, has one of the most gorgeous stadiums in college soccer. 

GCU.jpg

6 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

No reason to put "stadiums" in quotations, Herman qualifies as a stadium, though I agree it is in need of improvements. 

I have no idea if GCU students get credit for going to athletic events, I do know that that for profit, fake "Christian," University, has one of the most gorgeous stadiums in college soccer. 

GCU.jpg

I'm sure you'll be emailing that to Chris May right?

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

In only four games since being cleared to play Becher ranks third on the team in goals and third in points on the season.  

He's exactly who they needed him to be, then.

Tonight's game vs. GMU is on ESPN+.

brianstl likes this

Billiken men improve to 4-0 in A10 play. Still have not been scored on. We have the best goalie in D1 soccer and he is a freshman. I wonder how long he'll stay in college, the kid could play in the MLS tomorrow. 

I LOVE the direction this team is trending. That game against UVA is going to be a war. Win that and we likely get an at large bid. 

Zink and TheChosenOne like this

I'm starting to get deja vu. Billikens are 5-0 in A10 play. Still have not been scored upon. 

FIVE GAMES - FIVE CLEAN SHEETS. Patrick Schulte is the best goalkeeper in the nation and should be starting to get Hermann Trophy hype. 

Two winnable games, at home, going into the test of the season with #1 and undefeated UVA. Devener and Dayton, both at home. Denver is 2-7-1, 1-4-1 on the road. Dayton is 6-7, 1-4 on the road. Bills need to focus on the moment and take care of business at home. Do your job, and the Bills look to be 10-3 when heading into Charlottesville. This season is starting to get exciting.  

Something that is also important to note, the Bills have to keep winning these A10 games in order to keep pace with VCU, who is also undefeated in A10 play. The Bills and Rams don't play each other in the A10 regular season, so there is potential to have a tie in the conference regular season winner. With all these wins, Bills still don't control their destiny - unless they keep winning of course. 

After the showdown with UVA, the Bills have Duquesne in Steel City and Fordham at home. Both teams are currently 3-1 in A10 play. We're going to be holding our breaths into the end of the season. Bills soccer is meaningful again! 

Pistol likes this

Both the SLU men and women are mostly destroying weaker conference competition after both having disappointing, less than expected non-conference results. (women won today 4-0 over LaSalle.) Both the men and women are gaining ground slowly but surely in the non-RPI rankings as a result. 

The men will get a few more opportunities but the women won't. The men will get an opportunity vs an elite team at Virginia to see just where they are, at this time. It will be both a big challenge, as well as a big opportunity. Virginia's weekend draw has been their only "blemish" on the season. It will be interesting to see how SLU handles Daryl Dike and company.