Brief random comments from the game:

Starters were (back to front): 

Schulte

Keller, Niece, Wilkinson

Schieffer  

Huels, Boyce, Novaes

Klein, Brunch (sp), Viox

• Wisconsin was getting votes in the polls heading into this preseason game
  • SLU dominated possession for most of the game.  Probably 60-40 at minimum.  Moved the ball well.  Built from the back.
  • Had some early forays into the box with couple clean looks at goal.  Our goal was pretty.  Quick build up form halfline saw Novaes get ball on right-hand side of box, he took the defender inside, and hammered a curling shot to far post.  Beauty.
  • SLU played physical and closed down quickly when ball was lost
  • SLU's on-the-ball quality looked sharp
  • Used mix of over-the-top balls and quick combinations in the attack.  FInal third of play was ok.
  • Schulte came up with a massive, unbelievable save.  Ball literally had to have been on the line but he somehow got a hand to hit to lift up and out.  I thought it was a sure goal.
  • Shot production was lower than last year.
  • Wisconsin came into the game a bit more when we had subs come on but they did not overwhelm the new guys.  Keller and Schulte stood out in terms of the freshman out there.
  • Icelandic defender has bum ankle right now.  Becher (striker out of Holy Cross) also has foot problem.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the game. My first SLU soccer game since the old Bronze Boot games were held at Busch 2. So, I don't know, 40 or more years? I found out an old fuoker like me can get season tix for 25 bucks. I probably won't go to every game but I had a good time and plan on going back.

The crowd was great, announced at around 5900 I think. I must say I don't know if that's the norm, I kind of doubt it. I sat on the east side right next to the Slunatics. The Slunatic leaders worked really hard to keep the students engaged and they seemed to be having a fun time.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to chime in on the quality of play and/or how good this team is. It seemed to me that SLU stood toe to toe with the ninth ranked Irish for much of the game. Had some brief lapses (especially less than two minutes in) that led to ND goals and I guess maybe that's what separates the great teams from the just pretty good.

Edited by White Pelican
made a boo-boo

It helped that SLU offered $5 tickets and gave away tickets to every Catholic elementary and high school in the region.

It was fun though and this team looked good.

The Bills nearly scored prior to the Irish counter which led to the 1-2 deficit.

By the way, I do wonder if $10 is the market price. I cannot help but think it is in the $7-8 range.

billikenfan05 likes this

41 minutes ago, WUH said:

It helped that SLU offered $5 tickets and gave away tickets to every Catholic elementary and high school in the region.

It was fun though and this team looked good.

The Bills nearly scored prior to the Irish counter which led to the 1-2 deficit.

By the way, I do wonder if $10 is the market price. I cannot help but think it is in the $7-8 range.

-why not do these for every game? men and women? I wondered if A10 had some say in ticket pricing so i went to Mason's men's soccer site and they sell single game tickets for $6, get people in the stands, they might become fans, might spread the word, might bring others with them, might help recruiting with more people in attendance

-I also think our single game bball tickets are overpriced, but that might just be me

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-why not do these for every game? men and women? I wondered if A10 had some say in ticket pricing so i went to Mason's men's soccer site and they sell single game tickets for $6, get people in the stands, they might become fans, might spread the word, might bring others with them, might help recruiting with more people in attendance

-I also think our single game bball tickets are overpriced, but that might just be me

I think that is right.

I think SLU needs to be more creative in getting out the crowds, especially with an MLS team on the way. Heck, invite students from the public schools.

I am guessing that if Kalish had recruits in the crowd, they were impressed.

49 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’ll write something up I’m just too damn lazy 

Bills gave as good as they got.  A fair result would have been  3 - 3.

A few observations:

1) ND second goal was the result of a no hesitation, lightening quick counter with some elite passing inside the 18.  Well earned.

2) ND third goal was horrific.  Utter ball watching by Bills defense.  The scorer easily ran 50 yards unmarked with only Schulte within a country mile of him.  Lynn spotted run and delivered the required pass.  BTW, did SLU recruit this CCP kid?  His Dad payed for SLU.

3) A blatant, unequivocal penalty was not called in the Bill’s favor late in the second half.  Bill’s forward (think it was Boyce) ferociously shoved from behind and completely knocked of the ball well inside the penalty area.  Occurred right in front of me.  Crowd’s cheers quickly turned to jeers as we watched the ref wave play on...what a joke...

4) SLU needs to upgrade the concession area.  Lines were unbelievable.  Funny that the locker rooms open up right into the crowd.  My friends and I found ourselves walking back to the field in the company of the ND center mid after half time.  We had to ask folks to get out of the way so that he could get down the steps and back to the field.

5) Two SLU projected starters, Kidd and Becher, did not play.  I like this SLU team.  Aswe can play straight up with a top 10 team, the future bodes well IMHO.

05 can fill in the balance.  Check out the ND soccer site for a decent video of the game highlights. SLU needs to get something like this on their site.

TheDude and Bills_06 like this

27 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Bills gave as good as they got.  A fair result would have been  3 - 3.

A few observations:

1) ND second goal was the result of a no hesitation, lightening quick counter with some elite passing inside the 18.  Well earned.

2) ND third goal was horrific.  Utter ball watching by Bills defense.  The scorer easily ran 50 yards unmarked with only Schulte within a country mile of him.  Lynn spotted run and delivered the required pass.  BTW, did SLU recruit this CCP kid?  His Dad payed for SLU.

3) A blatant, unequivocal penalty was not called in the Bill’s favor late in the second half.  Bill’s forward (think it was Boyce) ferociously shoved from behind and completely knocked of the ball well inside the penalty area.  Occurred right in front of me.  Crowd’s cheers quickly turned to jeers as we watched the ref wave play on...what a joke...

4) SLU needs to upgrade the concession area.  Lines were unbelievable.  Funny that the locker rooms open up right into the crowd.  My friends and I found ourselves walking back to the field in the company of the ND center mid after half time.  We had to ask folks to get out of the way so that he could get down the steps and back to the field.

5) Two SLU projected starters, Kidd and Becher, did not play.  I like this SLU team.  Aswe can play straight up with a top 10 team, the future bodes well IMHO.

05 can fill in the balance.  Check out the ND soccer site for a decent video of the game highlights. SLU needs to get something like this on their site.

You did a great job here. Adding

ND goal 1 was ugly defending by a young team in front of a massive crowd, maybe they had jitters?

1) well put

2) awful turnover in the middle third

3) spot on.

4) 100%. I really wish they wouldn't have upgraded the current locker rooms. They could have expanded the concession area. i would take out the track completely and have put new lockerrooms at the end of the stadium near the scoreboard. (Could we get a video board?)

5) This team is VERY YOUNG. NDs experience was apparent as they jumped all over Billiken mistakes.  It was encouraging to see them hang with a top 10 team. I've spoken with those around the program and with some seasoning this team could be top 25 by the end of the season. 

Donny Ross, defender/back, from Priory High School, class of 2021, has made an early commitment today to SLU. He previously was named to the best 11 at the 16’s United States Youth Soccer National Championships with St. Louis Scott Gallagher, and he has trained with St. Louis FC Academy.

His cousin Cole is a Senior midfielder and team Captain at Chaminade. His other cousin Scott, Cole’s brother, a Chaminade alum and former Captain there last year (both sons of Scott, who was a defender at DeSmet/SMU) is a Freshman soccer player at Southern Indiana. All have played in the St. Louis Scott Gallagher and St. Louis FC systems.

Pistol and slufanskip like this

Anyone catch the Tulsa game? Or Davidson (not sure if it was streaming)?

They're 3-2 now: 2-3 vs. #16 Notre Dame, 0-2 at #8 SMU, 2-1 at SIUE, 1-0 vs. Tulsa, 1-0 at Davidson.

They play tomorrow down at Memphis. The Tigers just upset #11 Xavier, 3-2.

In addition to the conference slate, they've got Denver at home and Marquette and #5 Virginia on the road.

How are people feeling about this team right now? About in line with expectations?

43 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Anyone catch the Tulsa game? Or Davidson (not sure if it was streaming)?

They're 3-2 now: 2-3 vs. #16 Notre Dame, 0-2 at #8 SMU, 2-1 at SIUE, 1-0 vs. Tulsa, 1-0 at Davidson.

They play tomorrow down at Memphis. The Tigers just upset #11 Xavier, 3-2.

In addition to the conference slate, they've got Denver at home and Marquette and #5 Virginia on the road.

How are people feeling about this team right now? About in line with expectations?

Was planning on discussing this on the pod this week. 

I think they struggle with scoring, they don’t really have a solid scoring option like a Kristo or Adnan. They really are going to have to get to the NCAA tournament on their high pressure defense. I’m trying to remember the Tulsa game but struggling. The Davidson game was very much dominated by the Billikens with only a couple 5 minute spells of solid pressure by Davidson.

What I do remember from Tulsa is that tried to play out of the back a little too much and the Billikens created a lot of opportunities off of pressuring that. The final 5 minutes of that game were pretty nervy as we tried to sit on the 1-0 lead.

Novaes, Boyce, Stojanovic, Murana and Klein have all been standouts for me. Regardless of wether they get on the score sheet.

Novaes: scoring ability

Boyce: leadership and plays with a lot of grit and intensity

Murana has been outstanding at right back. Love the way he plays, calm on the ball and outstanding at repelling opposing winger’s attack

Klein’s acceleration and speed combined with his touch is so dangerous. Has the ability to play the ball around a defender and go get it. 

This team is still very young but also dangerous if they can start hitting the back of the net more than once a game.

Pistol and Bills_06 like this