The Wiz's Final Wrap Up For 2019

Tx, Wiz. Everything did go wrong. Had we been able to keep things together I think we might have been a Sweet 16 team. One thing about this year and in the recent past, the one and done approach ain't working all that well when it comes to winning championships. 

51 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Tx, Wiz. Everything did go wrong. Had we been able to keep things together I think we might have been a Sweet 16 team. One thing about this year and in the recent past, the one and done approach ain't working all that well when it comes to winning championships. 

Everything did not go wrong. Had it done so we would never have won the A10 Tournament and get the automatic bid to the dance. The Wiz provides ranges and a lot of valuable information in this report. At the end of the season (statistically) we had gone to the bottom of our range for the year, B-. However that represents the overall results for the whole year. The Wiz  also mentioned that by the end of the  season we were trending at an A- level (statistically), which is above our starting level for the year.

No team in D1 trends steadily upwards the whole season, every team has ups and downs. The important things we did this season were to manage to trend up at the end of the season and win the A10 tournament and the automatic bid to NCAA. This was not a small achievement for this year's team, a reason for feeling good about what we did, not bad about we did not do. The glass half full vs the glass half empty.

You appear to be a glass half empty type of person. Your conclusion that "everything did go wrong" is an emotionally based conclusion, not a reality based conclusion. Let me try to explain the difference between the emotional and reality (glass half empty vs glass half full) ways to look at this season's results:

Glass half empty (emotional): If we had made to the Sweet 16 level and lost the game, the emotionally driven MBMs would be distraught by NOT having gone to Elite 8 or Final Four level.

Glass half full (reality): If we had made to the Sweet 16 level and lost the game, the reality driven MBMs would be celebrating in total disbelief at the miracle of a team with pissed poor FT stats making it that far in the Dance.

Thanks for the psych babble analysis. When can I expect your bill. I guess if I was a glass half full type, I'd say everything went swimmingly because we made the dance. I was thrilled we did. But I also was disappointed that our team in November was significantly  different from what it was in March. I think most fans would agree they were disappointed we never got to see what Santos could bring to the party, and how the development of Gordon might have moved us further up the ladder. 

Again, I'm thrilled as how this year played out, but there's nothing negative about wondering what might have been had certain things not gone south. 

2 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Maybe I am not reading it correctly but why is VCU a -2 variance?  Shouldn't VCU and Dayton both have finished better than expected? 

Yes , you are correct ....a typo ....it should be +2 instead of minus 2...Fixed it...Long post ...late night....Thx

Bills_06 likes this

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Yes , you are correct ....a typo ....it should be +2 instead of minus 2...Fixed it...Long post ...late night....Thx

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  Thanks for the threads throughout the year!  Enjoy reading them.  

43 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thanks for the psych babble analysis. When can I expect your bill. I guess if I was a glass half full type, I'd say everything went swimmingly because we made the dance. I was thrilled we did. But I also was disappointed that our team in November was significantly  different from what it was in March. I think most fans would agree they were disappointed we never got to see what Santos could bring to the party, and how the development of Gordon might have moved us further up the ladder. 

Again, I'm thrilled as how this year played out, but there's nothing negative about wondering what might have been had certain things not gone south. 

Sorry I have to ask, do you really know the difference between being thrilled and disappointed? Is anything ever good enough for you? When is a team exactly the same in November and the following March at the end of the season? Santos never happened for us, Gordon did not work out. What is so hard about understanding that "what could have been" means "it never was"? How many flying pigs have you ever seen? You could have seen some IF they had wings...