NCAA Final Four Weekend Thread

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, willie said:

I just watched the replay 5 times. The ref had his hand half way up before contact was made . He anticipated the foul. Was it a foul. Sure. Should it have been called . No. Not in my opinion. Don’t tell me there is not time and place in the game of basketball. Would you call a reach in at the top of the key with 5 seconds to go. Of course not. I am sure many will disagree but it should not have been called. 

Willie, I respect you. But also no

43 minutes ago, willie said:

I just watched the replay 5 times. The ref had his hand half way up before contact was made . He anticipated the foul. Was it a foul. Sure. Should it have been called . No. Not in my opinion. Don’t tell me there is not time and place in the game of basketball. Would you call a reach in at the top of the key with 5 seconds to go. Of course not. I am sure many will disagree but it should not have been called. 

I thought the ref had his arm up signalling a three point attempt, then he changed the signal to a foul call.

I have never seen this before. Amazing pass.  That is from the semifinal game in the 1973 Final Four in St. Louis.  Most famous for Bill Walton going 21-22 from the floor in the championship game. That is Bill Laurie defending against DiGregorio.

Was that Kevin Stacom on the finish? Saw this Providence team in the '73 Eastern Regional in Charlotte take down Penn. Ernie D was very much like Pistol Pete with his shooting and passing ability but played more in a team concept and was surrounded by better players. That was the team that included Marvin Barnes. He was an all-time flake in the ABA but a terrific center at Providence.

50 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Was that Kevin Stacom on the finish? Saw this Providence team in the '73 Eastern Regional in Charlotte take down Penn. Ernie D was very much like Pistol Pete with his shooting and passing ability but played more in a team concept and was surrounded by better players. That was the team that included Marvin Barnes. He was an all-time flake in the ABA but a terrific center at Providence.

My favorite Marvin Barnes story goes something like this. Flying back with the team from Louisville to St. Louis. Flight was to leave at 8 am and arrive at 7:50 am central time.Barnes was quoted as saying "I ain't getting on no time machine". 

38 minutes ago, willie said:

My favorite Marvin Barnes story goes something like this. Flying back with the team from Louisville to St. Louis. Flight was to leave at 8 am and arrive at 7:50 am central time.Barnes was quoted as saying "I ain't getting on no time machine". 

-didn't he then hire a limo to drive him to StL?

6 hours ago, willie said:

I believe that is correct. 

After a comeback win by the Spirits ending a losing streak Costas is interviewing Barnes, who scored 48 points.  Costas asked him what the team can do to replicate this feat.  Barnes begins by saying "We have to work together, play as a team."  Costas thinks to himself did the light finally go off in his head?  Is he finally understanding the need to play a team game?  Barnes ends the quote with "I had 48 points with 2 minutes left but can anybody pass me the rock to get to 50?  No, we gotta play as a team man."