NCAA and One and Done

Schasz

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Schasz said:

This article appeared in Yahoo Sports and it came after remarks by Coach K yesterday when he took the podium. I think some on here are not fans of one and done players.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/coach-k-calls-out-ncaa-for-lack-of-vision-for-college-basketball-004351154.html

So Coach K has just gone and said that he wants to pay college players like a business - seems a bit self serving given that he is in a position to out bid most.  He wants college players to be able to say that I will go to college and get a big pay check and then develop more rather than going pro and maybe not being ready.  How much is enough pay to satisfy young players?

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

So Coach K has just gone and said that he wants to pay college players like a business - seems a bit self serving given that he is in a position to out bid most.  He wants college players to be able to say that I will go to college and get a big pay check and then develop more rather than going pro and maybe not being ready.  How much is enough pay to satisfy young players?

I have advocated players receiving a decent stipend. 10k-15k I don’t know the number. Outright free market paying of players would be terrible for the non power 5  conferences. There is no way we could outbid a Missouri for a Yuri type player. 

Zink and GBL_Bills like this

Just now, willie said:

I have advocated players receiving a decent stipend. 10k-15k I don’t know the number. Outright free market paying of players would be terrible for the non power 5  conferences. There is no way we could outbid a Missouri for a Yuri type player. 

You mean on top of their tuition and room and board?  Don't they also get laundry money and a monthly stipend now - thought it was started by the NCAA a couple of years ago.

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

You mean on top of their tuition and room and board?  Don't they also get laundry money and a monthly stipend now - thought it was started by the NCAA a couple of years ago.

Yes but I don’t think it is enough,but I don’t know what the number is. If anyone knows please share. 

I still think they should get a stipend. Other college students theoretically have enough time to work a part time job to earn beer/new PS4 game/new clothes/nice dinner money. I would imagine being a D1 athlete precludes one from being able to have a work schedule.

Completely agree that a free market salary situation would be a disaster every nonP5 school

1 minute ago, GBL_Bills said:

I still think they should get a stipend. Other college students theoretically have enough time to work a part time job to earn beer/new PS4 game/new clothes/nice dinner money. I would imagine being a D1 athlete precludes one from being able to have a work schedule.

Completely agree that a free market salary situation would be a disaster every nonP5 school

I think more than time players are prohibited from working during the season. I’m not sure but I think boosters are no longer allowed to hire players in the offseason. Obviously that was a practice that was abused by some. 

3 hours ago, willie said:

All it would take is one committed booster to make any program a force.  It would really depress the salaries of coaches. Would you rather spend $9 million on Coach K are spread that money around on Zion,  Ja Morant, THT, etc.?

When I was in graduate school I received a tuition waiver and a stipend of ~23 to 25k per year, depending on my advisor’s funding situation in any particular year. It is beyond me why NCAA players don’t receive the same. The service they provide for the school is at least as valuable as the research and teaching I did. 

Pistol likes this

25 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

When I was in graduate school I received a tuition waiver and a stipend of ~23 to 25k per year, depending on my advisor’s funding situation in any particular year. It is beyond me why NCAA players don’t receive the same. The service they provide for the school is at least as valuable as the research and teaching I did. 

You were not an undergrad.  My son also got free tuition and $23K as a research assistant working on his PhD but he easily worked 60-80 hours a week in the lab.  Athletes get spending money, laundry money, unlimited food, tuition, and books, plus room and board.  I have no problem with throwing a little money towards them but this idea of paying them enough that they would not have to turn pro somewhere that Coach K is talking about is bit over the top.

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

You were not an undergrad.  My son also got free tuition and $23K as a research assistant working on his PhD but he easily worked 60-80 hours a week in the lab.  Athletes get spending money, laundry money, unlimited food, tuition, and books, plus room and board.  I have no problem with throwing a little money towards them but this idea of paying them enough that they would not have to turn pro somewhere that Coach K is talking about is bit over the top.

But why? Who cares that I wasn’t in undergrad? The stipend is a living wage to make it viable to attend graduate school instead of going into industry. It’s not a handout; it’s because the school would have to pay a ton of money to pay an actual worker to work in the lab for 60-80 hours a week, which is very common among grad students. I did it too. Similarly, the school and the NCAA are profiting off of unpaid labor on the part of athletes. Did I advocate a wild salary? No...last I checked the only thing my post mentions is a modest stipend in exchange for the service they provide, similar to what graduate students get.  

Zink likes this

I think athletes should receive a wage. However, it's got to be equal across the board. You can't allow a Duke or a UK to be outbidding other schools for players. They have the $$$'s we don't. I know the A10 commish said a few years back the A10 will be on board with paying players, but when you've got the SEC doling out $40 mil + to member schools vs the A10 doling out $2-3 mil a year that's a huge discrepancy. This has got to be controlled to keep it competitive, which is what college sports is supposed to be all about. 

If some D1 schools say we can't afford even the controlled amount, we'll, I guess that's too bad. But you can't open this up to a free agency market. If you do, the P5 get what they want; an elite college sports agenda, little guys not invited. 

What about just allowing athletes to make $ off their likeness and\or name?  Of course this benefits schools with big media markets but it seems fair. 

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

What about just allowing athletes to make $ off their likeness and\or name?  Of course this benefits schools with big media markets but it seems fair. 

Agree with this. It’s bizarre that they don’t make money off their likenesses. Zion has the Zion cam following him around and didn’t see a cent. How many #22 jerseys did KU sell when Wiggins was there? Ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, rgbilliken said:

But why? Who cares that I wasn’t in undergrad? The stipend is a living wage to make it viable to attend graduate school instead of going into industry. It’s not a handout; it’s because the school would have to pay a ton of money to pay an actual worker to work in the lab for 60-80 hours a week, which is very common among grad students. I did it too. Similarly, the school and the NCAA are profiting off of unpaid labor on the part of athletes. Did I advocate a wild salary? No...last I checked the only thing my post mentions is a modest stipend in exchange for the service they provide, similar to what graduate students get.  

That has no meaning. It’s just a random phrase people use to say they can’t afford things and don’t get paid enough. They are currently given enough to live on wether it be food, clothing and stipend.

Billiken Rich likes this

Just now, rgbilliken said:

Sorry, what? I’m using it here to say I personally did get paid enough   

I’m saying that the student athletes currently are afforded a “living wage” in the form of room and board, food, clothing, a stipend, etc. Using the term living wage is meaningless unless you provide an actual number. It’s abstract. 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m saying that the student athletes currently are afforded a “living wage” in the form of room and board, food, clothing, a stipend, etc. Using the term living wage is meaningless unless you provide an actual number. It’s abstract. 

Oh. My original post said 25k. I stand by that. 

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

On top of all the free lodging, food and clothing? 

Why not? They’re providing a service and I think they should be paid...in money. I don’t see why this is controversial and don’t understand why people have so much emotional investment in them not being compensated financially. As to the exact amount? I guess that could be argued.   But generally I think that payment in money for doing a job is good. My criteria for pay would be that it should be equitable and not prohibitive from most serious basketball programs affording it. Anything would be better than the current situation where it’s all behind closed doors. Players are still getting paid...we just aren’t aware of it.  Let the players be paid outright and in the open instead of through some back channel with a bunch of people who aren’t the players themselves take their cuts. 

How about the athletes that really arent interested in going to classes just move along and only real student athletes are playing college sports?