Zaga roster

slu72

How many recruiting contacts do you estimate SLU has in France, Serbia, and Japan? My estimate is "0". How much do you estimate SLU or Ford are willing to spend in opening up recruiting pipelines to France, Serbia, and or Japan? My best guess is "0". We do not mine these areas because we have no means or desire to do so. Yes, they have valuable players but foreign recruiting is always expensive. What happened with our recruit Ingvy Gudmundsson, Iceland, how much did he play for us? We have no problems recruiting in the US, why go foreign?

51 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Two from Japan 🇯🇵 , two from France 🇫🇷 one from Serbia 🇷🇸 . Thar's gold in them foreign hills. Not sure why we don't mine it a little more. 

Few leveraged the unusual background of his assistant coach:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/12/05/gonzaga-domantas-sabonis-przemek-karnowski-mark-few/19951513/

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I've often wondered why we don't go after some Spanish kids. 

Good basketball players in Spain don’t come to the US to play college basketball.  They start playing in club pro system while in high school.

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

Two from Japan 🇯🇵 , two from France 🇫🇷 one from Serbia 🇷🇸 . Thar's gold in them foreign hills. Not sure why we don't mine it a little more. 

“Book Cory Tate on a plane to Serbia. Just give him a Fromens. We’ll be reaping dividends by next weekend!”

Maybe, just maybe, it isn’t that easy?

12 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

“Book Cory Tate on a plane to Serbia. Just give him a Fromens. We’ll be reaping dividends by next weekend!”

Maybe, just maybe, it isn’t that easy?

Europe is the size of the Eastwood Mall....we can WALK to Berlin from there. 

41 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Europe is the size of the Eastwood Mall....we can WALK to Berlin from there. 

No you cannot walk to Berlin from Serbia and Europe is not the size of the Eastwood Mall.

About the SLU campus in Madrid, my wife was in a group of students that spent a semester there. I believe the groups were 30 to 50 students each year but this was a long time ago. I have no idea how many kids go from SLU St. Louis to Madrid each year currently. When she went the students were housed in U. of Madrid dorms and went to U. of Madrid classrooms, this may have changed as well. It would be interesting to know if the staff in Madrid has any involvement at all with sports, or with basketball. Interesting idea.

36 minutes ago, Old guy said:

No you cannot walk to Berlin from Serbia and Europe is not the size of the Eastwood Mall.

About the SLU campus in Madrid, my wife was in a group of students that spent a semester there. I believe the groups were 30 to 50 students each year but this was a long time ago. I have no idea how many kids go from SLU St. Louis to Madrid each year currently. When she went the students were housed in U. of Madrid dorms and went to U. of Madrid classrooms, this may have changed as well. It would be interesting to know if the staff in Madrid has any involvement at all with sports, or with basketball. Interesting idea.

25 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Nice.

Eurotrip is a very underrated movie.

So..., that reference went over some people's heads.

It certainly went over mine.

Anyway I gave erroneous information about the Madrid program. Talked with her over breakfast and this is the way it was. She went in with the 3rd batch of kids that went to the SLU program in Madrid. This was the very beginning of the program. There were 25-30 kids that year, she was the only one from SLU the rest of the kids came from other colleges both local (UMSL for example) or other colleges. They did stay at U. of Madrid dorms spread among several dorms there. A few kids stayed with Spanish families. Classes and faculty were arranged by SLU in rented quarters (this is when she went). She loved the program, traveled throughout Europe with a bunch of kids going everywhere, loved the classes and hated the food she was served in the dorms. She has ongoing friendships with kids that went to the program in other years, it is a common unifying experience. She knows that nowadays the program has grown into a SLU college in Madrid, with their own campus. She does not know how many kids go there from the US (or from SLU) every year nowadays but remembers her time in Spain as something special in her life.

Sorry for the misinformation I provided before.

15 hours ago, cheeseman said:

How many locals go to the Madrid campus?  

Not many. While there are full time Spanish students there, it mainly is students studying abroad. SLU Madrid is a very small school. A great place that I am forever grateful to have studied at for a semester, but not very large for the locals. For context, UCM is Madrid's biggest university with about 85,000 students, and is right down the street from SLU Madrid. 

Edit: @Old guy currently, I'd say about 200-400 SLU students study abroad there a semester, but it can fluctuate greatly because of how many abroad options SLU has now. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Johnbj14, I am delighted to hear from someone who went to Madrid from SLU like my wife did in the very early  years of the program. Next time there is a get together at the beginning of the season perhaps we should meet and have a beer.

I'd love to the next time I am in STL. 

3 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Not many. While there are full time Spanish students there, it mainly is students studying abroad. SLU Madrid is a very small school. A great place that I am forever grateful to have studied at for a semester, but not very large for the locals. For context, UCM is Madrid's biggest university with about 85,000 students, and is right down the street from SLU Madrid. 

Edit: @Old guy currently, I'd say about 200-400 SLU students study abroad there a semester, but it can fluctuate greatly because of how many abroad options SLU has now. 

UCM have a basketball team? If so, do they have any guys bigger than 6'9", can stretch the floor, hit 80% from the line, can dunk it like Dawkins, and wants to transfer?