Next year thoughts

7 hours ago, almaman said:

You speak of the Chris Weber class @ Michigan?

Yep.

Weber was ranked 1

Juwan Howard 3

Jalen Rose 6

Jimmy King 9

Ray Jackson 84

They were a bunch of cheaters too but overall a higher ranked group of cheaters than Memphis.

The 2013 Kentucky class was also better than Memphis.

they had 5 guys in the top 11.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't sure where to put this one:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not much to report on SLU scheduling yet. Many potential opponents still on the board with very little in place. Neutral site game(s) a strong possibility. Ford said this has been toughest year yet to schedule at SLU.</p>&mdash; stu durando (@studurando) <a href="https://twitter.com/studurando/status/1130554459493478400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is SLU due for a foreign trip this summer? I believe it has been 4 years since our last trip (the last year of [dead]). Did I calculate this right? Has anyone heard anything? We are not listed on this site: https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadium.com/news/comprehensive-list-of-every-2019-college-basketball-foreign-tour-05-06-2019/amp/

1 minute ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Is SLU due for a foreign trip this summer? I believe it has been 4 years since our last trip (the last year of [dead]). Did I calculate this right? Has anyone heard anything? We are not listed on this site: https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadium.com/news/comprehensive-list-of-every-2019-college-basketball-foreign-tour-05-06-2019/amp/

Since it was asked I tweeted what I’ve heard 

52 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

That's not correct, freshman and transfers can go.

i believe they do have to be registered and in class.   sometimes a freshmen or a transfer might not be starting classes till the fall semester starts.   if that would be the case i dont think they could go.

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe they do have to be registered and in class.   sometimes a freshmen or a transfer might not be starting classes till the fall semester starts.   if that would be the case i dont think they could go.

which makes sense, but if kids are in class theres no reason why they wouldnt go. 

Back to the scheduling problem. Why would be having such a tough road? The P5's expanding their conf schedules hurts, but they still have to play at least 10-11 non con games. Are these possible reasons: 

1) we're insisting on home and home series with bigs and they won't do it?

2) Conversely, are we being asked for home and homes w/ lesser mid majors and we won't do it? 

3) P5's see a W against us as not worth risking a "bad" L? I.e., The Mizzery syndrome. 

4) I think we're viewed as a bad travel team for tourneys, we are, and that's why we don't get invited to the good ones that UD, VCU, and Davidson get to play in?

Just some thoughts. Be interested to hear what others think are reasons for scheduling problems. 

We have more to schedule than we did last year, when we had the back end of a lot of home-and-homes: Houston, Oregon State, Butler, and - I think - SIUC, although that one typically gets renewed. We have Seton Hall coming our way this year, but more dates to fill than we would've a year ago. We also had four games filled by the Barclays Center Classic - Troy, Pitt, Central Arkansas, and North Alabama - and I'm not sure if we'll have another "tournament" event this season.

So last year at this time, we had some buy games to fill and ended up with SEMO, NC Central, and Appalachian State. We started the 2-year deal with Seton Hall on the road. We found a neutral site game with FSU. We had four games covered by that tournament. We had to fill a couple exhibition games. And then the rest was already set.

That means that there's a minimum of 3 additional dates to fill this year, more if we don't have a tournament-style event, and the bigger challenge is we're trying to find power conference opponents to replace Big East, Pac 12, and AAC opponents.

We're basically at the worst level of college basketball when it comes to scheduling. We're not looking to be a buy team and take a bunch of road dates for money. We have to fill 18 dates for season ticket holders. We're a loss threat for power conference schools without giving them a NET rankings boost, plus we don't have a marquee program name to fill seats, so we're not a particularly attractive home-and-home partner. We're also not in a position to take a 2-for-1 or other lopsided deals.

I saw how hard it was in my years to schedule games. It's only gotten worse since then for programs that aren't in power conferences, especially the ones that aren't filling buy games.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Back to the scheduling problem. Why would be having such a tough road? The P5's expanding their conf schedules hurts, but they still have to play at least 10-11 non con games. Are these possible reasons: 

1) we're insisting on home and home series with bigs and they won't do it?

2) Conversely, are we being asked for home and homes w/ lesser mid majors and we won't do it? 

3) P5's see a W against us as not worth risking a "bad" L? I.e., The Mizzery syndrome. 

4) I think we're viewed as a bad travel team for tourneys, we are, and that's why we don't get invited to the good ones that UD, VCU, and Davidson get to play in?

Just some thoughts. Be interested to hear what others think are reasons for scheduling problems. 

all good reasons. If NCAA would do anything about issues this would seem a great thing they can fix. Dictate things like have to schedule OOC games with teams of regional interest. rotate home and homes with other conferences maybe 2 teams each year and rotate them.

4 hours ago, almaman said:

all good reasons. If NCAA would do anything about issues this would seem a great thing they can fix. Dictate things like have to schedule OOC games with teams of regional interest. rotate home and homes with other conferences maybe 2 teams each year and rotate them.

The NCAA's in the pocket of the P5. Likely, won't happen. 

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

By the way, Xavier released the entire nonconference schedule yesterday. We released ours on August 24th last year. Sigh.

Yeah, frustrating, but as long as the schedule is as strong or stronger than last season, when it’s announced is no big deal.

37 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

I wouldn’t either but it’s way better than playing the likes of Rockhurst and Illinois-Springfield.

I've gone more in depth on this in the past, but I'm going to continue shouting from the rooftops that playing Rockhurst (or another D2 school) is actually better than playing some no-name DI school.  Rockhurst is likley a much cheaper buy game.  They don't count against the RPI or whatever it is called now.  Most casual fans don't know the difference between bottom tier D1 and D2 teams.

Everyone wants to play Xavier, Butler, Cincinnati, etc. for all of our non-conference games, but that is fantasy.  We are going to have buy games against no name opponents and if those no-name opponents suck too bad it hurts us.  Playing Rockhurst doesn't.  Of course I'd be pissed if our schedule was full of D2 teams, but I'm fine with us playing a D2 team once a year during finals week or whatever to get to the requisite number of home games.

44 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I've gone more in depth on this in the past, but I'm going to continue shouting from the rooftops that playing Rockhurst (or another D2 school) is actually better than playing some no-name DI school.  Rockhurst is likley a much cheaper buy game.  They don't count against the RPI or whatever it is called now.  Most casual fans don't know the difference between bottom tier D1 and D2 teams.

Excellent point. Playing any team with worse than a 250 RPI is overrated. They hurt your ranking and there are D2 teams who can give you comparable competition.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Everyone wants to play Xavier, Butler, Cincinnati, etc. for all of our non-conference games, but that is fantasy.  We are going to have buy games against no name opponents and if those no-name opponents suck too bad it hurts us.  Playing Rockhurst doesn't.  Of course I'd be pissed if our schedule was full of D2 teams, but I'm fine with us playing a D2 team once a year during finals week or whatever to get to the requisite number of home games.

So true. NC Central and SEMO destroyed our NET last season. Give me a ‘no count’ over them.