Next year thoughts

Javon has recently signed with the Independent Sports and Entertainment agency.  I personally think it is unlikely he gets drafted, but he will have ample opportunity with multiple teams to sign on for their summer league.  One thing he has against him is his age.  He is 23, and most players that get drafted are several years younger. 

His defense plays in the NBA, but his tenacity on  D is what is expected in the NBA. The average 3 pt % this season in the NBA is just under 36%.  Javon ended up at 32.5%, so he does need to improve his shot, and remember, it is a deeper shot in the NBA.   A benchmark in the NBA is 40% three percentage for shooting guards and small forwards.  If you are there, you are solid.  If below, you need to have something else to prove your worth as a SF, SG.  Javon's best shooting was catch and shoot.  For my money, he needs to show he can get his shot off of the dribble against tough defenders.  That's what the summer league is for.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Javon has recently signed with the Independent Sports and Entertainment agency.  I personally think it is unlikely he gets drafted, but he will have ample opportunity with multiple teams to sign on for their summer league.  One thing he has against him is his age.  He is 23, and most players that get drafted are several years younger. 

His defense plays in the NBA, but his tenacity on  D is what is expected in the NBA. The average 3 pt % this season in the NBA is just under 36%.  Javon ended up at 32.5%, so he does need to improve his shot, and remember, it is a deeper shot in the NBA.   A benchmark in the NBA is 40% three percentage for shooting guards and small forwards.  If you are there, you are solid.  If below, you need to have something else to prove your worth as a SF, SG.  Javon's best shooting was catch and shoot.  For my money, he needs to show he can get his shot off of the dribble against tough defenders.  That's what the summer league is for.

It felt like Bess shot most of his 3's from NBA range. I know its not true, just felt like it is. 

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

when justin love graduated from slu, he got hooked up with the suns in the summer.   the amount of time the suns spent on him and the other rookies increasing his range and refining his shot was unbelieveable (got that straight from his father).   he became a very very good shooter just from that one summer.   unfortunately he didnt make the cut, but then had a fabulous career in china and russia and europe and now back here more or less in retirement working as a special education teacher and coach at mascoutah high school.  

the point is, the pros will work with the player on the needed skills.   i feel if javon is healthy, he is stronger, bigger and just as athletic as justin love was back at the same point.   so javon as hoosier pal says above, will get his shot and who knows.   regardless, he is going to be playing for pay somewhere.  

Clock as you describe it, and this is a real situation, Javon is faced with a quandary without an optimal solution. He will do whatever he decides he has to do and will live with the consequences of his decisions, don't we all.

A couple of notes on Rogers:

FR couldn't play varsity his first year.

There was no 3 pt line when he played. And Harry was a good outside shooter. 

He got shafted not being named to the all century team. He's a top ten Billiken. 

AGB91 likes this

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He got shafted not being named to the all century team. He's a top ten Billiken. 

Agree on Rogers.  Was a frosh his last year, what a player!

12 hours ago, slu72 said:

Top 5

I have a confession

I will be still watching SLU basketball just as much as I have in the past, but damnit if it aint true I will be keeping an eye on Memphis this year.

Can we just talk about that rebound class? I think they could rival Duke for best Freshmen class. Will be interesting to see if they fail to meet expectations like Zion's class or make it deep in the tourney

7 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I have a confession

I will be still watching SLU basketball just as much as I have in the past, but damnit if it aint true I will be keeping an eye on Memphis this year.

Can we just talk about that rebound class? I think they could rival Duke for best Freshmen class. Will be interesting to see if they fail to meet expectations like Zion's class or make it deep in the tourney

Will ClockGloryRavs be watching as much Billiken Basketball next year? 

Thanks for the assurances. That had been weighing heavy on my mind. I've been having trouble sleeping, concentrating, I've been drinking too much, all since the season ended. I mean I just couldn't get it off my mind. The question was burning a hole in my soul. Now that you've cleared it up for me I can get back to my normal routine with a clear mind and feeling like all is still right with the world. 

Also, I'm sure others feel the same, even though they may not admit it. So once again … THANK YOU

HoosierPal likes this

8 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I have a confession

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm not on board with the everyone needs to hit the weight room so hard they look like body builders idea. I don't want them to be weak, but I believe too much bulk can slow certain types of players down and can affect their shot. 

Some people just don't have the body type that lifting doesn't have the same visual impact as it does on others.  KC may just be one of those guys that while they can increase their strength they just simply don't bulk up the same way.

slufanskip likes this

8 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I have a confession