Next year thoughts

I believe that we will be a very underrated team next year in the A10. A 10 looks to be a 4 bid league next year. 

The A10 will be very very good next year, losing not too many starting classes from the top half. I think we can have a VCU year next year, getting pre season ranked towards the middle mark and then showing everyone up.

There is a good possibility that next year we have 4 starters from St. Louis and French, with 1 more coming from the bench right away. This team will represent the city well. Hargrove and Yuri really impress me with their demeanor and I have faith they will be amazing. Perkins seems unknown so I would like more information from him but his stats speak for themselves. 

Goodwin can have a "Bess" year. Remember Bess put up his best basketball his junior year, and then even better his senior year. That thread against him is BS minus his FT.

Speaking of FT, if we get to 70% + I think we will have a great year.

Ford has improved every single year and next year seems like an autobid year, especially how good we seem without the future recruits we will sign in the off season. 

billiken_roy likes this

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

There is a good possibility that next year we have 4 starters from St. Louis and French, with 1 more coming from the bench right away. This team will represent the city well.

Sikeston isn't St. Louis by any stretch of the imagination. But certainly some solid representation with Collins, Perkins and Hargrove coming in. 

3 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Isn't STL the closest main city to Sikeston? Most people refer to their hometown as the city nearest them. I.e Chicago etc

Then the fine people of Sikeston should say they are from Memphis. It's 5 miles closer to Sikeston than St. Louis is. I just checked. And in either case, we're talking 140 or so effin miles. Yeah, that's how people describe where they're from.

almaman likes this

7 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Isn't STL the closest main city to Sikeston? Most people refer to their hometown as the city nearest them. I.e Chicago etc

People from Sikeston don't consider themselves from St. Louis. 

10 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I believe that we will be a very underrated team next year in the A10. A 10 looks to be a 4 bid league next year. 

The A10 will be very very good next year, losing not too many starting classes from the top half. I think we can have a VCU year next year, getting pre season ranked towards the middle mark and then showing everyone up.

There is a good possibility that next year we have 4 starters from St. Louis and French, with 1 more coming from the bench right away. This team will represent the city well. Hargrove and Yuri really impress me with their demeanor and I have faith they will be amazing. Perkins seems unknown so I would like more information from him but his stats speak for themselves. 

Goodwin can have a "Bess" year. Remember Bess put up his best basketball his junior year, and then even better his senior year. That thread against him is BS minus his FT.

Ford has improved every single year and next year seems like an autobid year, especially how good we seem without the future recruits we will sign in the off season. 

gotta like the positive attitude!

10 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Some may think this is overly optimistic with just five guys returning.

Ford’s long term coaching record shows losing seasons when he turns around a program...then consistent NIT or NCAA appearances....with the exception of a season in the middle of his OK  ST tenure and the very last season there.

Based on this history....and the fact Goodwin, French and Thatch are coming back...and the fact the A10 is not exactly a power 5 conference, I think we have an 80-90 percent chance the prediction above will be accurate.

10 hours ago, wgstl said:

I’ll wait to see what we do with the remaining scholarship(s).  

This is the key.  We're losing a lot from a team that would not have been an at-large.  Given Ford's track record, I'm assuming we'll get 1 or 2 really good GT or regular transfers (hopefully immediately eligible) that coupled with improvements from returning players and contributions from freshmen & Perkins will hopefully put us in contention for a top 4 spot in the A10 and bubble territory.  

Besides the players and I do think a grad transfer big is a real need, also need to see exactly what our non-conference schedule looks like. We'll need some victories over the better teams. The past season we had a near miss VS Houston and the beat down by FSU.

We're losing nearly 60% of our offense.  When Coach Ford experienced similar losses at OK State, the team did not make the postseason.

Getting all these new players, many of whom are first time college players, to meld with the returnees is a really tough job. On top of that, the A10 is getting better in a hurry. We could be a better team next year and still finish sixth.

I'm going to enjoy the process. If Coach Ford can retain this young core, sustained success is just a matter of time.

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We're losing nearly 60% of our offense.  When Coach Ford experienced similar losses at OK State, the team did not make the postseason.

Getting all these new players, many of whom are first time college players, to meld with the returnees is a really tough job. On top of that, the A10 is getting better in a hurry. We could be a better team next year and still finish sixth.

I'm going to enjoy the process. If Coach Ford can retain this young core, sustained success is just a matter of time.

This is as high as my expectations will take me at this point. We need a GT big = to Foreman. A FR big = to Rob Loe or Welmer. Another pure sniper. Not a starter who will rob minutes from the core group, but who is = to Wiley but way more available, i.e. Not injured, can provide a spark w/ some 3s. 

19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This is as high as my expectations will take me at this point. We need a GT big = to Foreman. A FR big = to Rob Loe or Welmer. Another pure sniper. Not a starter who will rob minutes from the core group, but who is = to Wiley but way more available, i.e. Not injured, can provide a spark w/ some 3s. 

i agree we need to find a serviceable big or two, but i couldnt care less what class they are in, just give us one that can play good minutes and be a credible practice player.   if not an overwhelming start then i'd prefer graduate transfers just so we arent saddled with a mediocre to worse roster spot filled for an extended period of time.  

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is the key.  We're losing a lot from a team that would not have been an at-large.  Given Ford's track record, I'm assuming we'll get 1 or 2 really good GT or regular transfers (hopefully immediately eligible) that coupled with improvements from returning players and contributions from freshmen & Perkins will hopefully put us in contention for a top 4 spot in the A10 and bubble territory.  

if perkins or Jimerson is a lights out shooter next year, I think we'll have a competitive squad 

Still a lot of important work to do on the recruiting trail, so a bit early to project, but I'll give a shot at a realistic best-case scenario.  The A-10 should be stronger, but French and Goodwin still project as two of the top 15 players in the league, so that's a good foundation to build around, even though there are a LOT of question marks with the rest of the lineup.

The possibility of an at-large bid is not realistic with so many unproven players and I expect there to be some really rough moments early in the season, but the hope is we start finding a groove and defining roles once conference play begins. Finish in the Top 4 should be the goal. It will not be easy, but Bona-welding somehow managed to do it this year with a lot of newcomers, so it can be done. I don't want to rely on winning 4 games in 4 days again. Ford, Goodwin and French should have confidence they can get in done in a conference tourney after this year's experience. Winning 3 games in 3 days? You never know. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's pretty simple: We sign the top grad transfer and these 2 guys and we go on to  win the A10 regular season and A10 tourney and enter the big dance as a 2 seed:

PF

Federal Way, WA 
Federal Way

6'9"

SG

Chatsworth, CA 
Sierra Canyon

6'5"

I think we're pretty much on the same page, Ace. However, a concern should be where do the points come from? Between our 3 primary returnees we're looking at a total of around 24 PPG. Two things need to happen; 1) those 3 need to get more points. 2) the newbies are going to have to score some points not just get minutes. Not easy for FR. Perkins is supposed to be a bucket filler, and since he's a JUCO he needs to avg in double figures. Jimerson's shot  also has to translate to the next level. Lots of question marks at this point for this squad. 

Let's temper our expectations next year.  We only have two returning starters next season.  The other three returners include two guys that most of us don't even include in the conversation about who will start.  That means  we will likely have three starters who weren't on the team last year.  With the guys we had last year, we finished 6th in the A-10.  The A-10 will be better next year.  If we can finish anywhere 5-8, I would consider that a success.

It is the season after this next one where we should be expecting a breakout season from this team.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Is Stu saying a combined 15 minutes a game?

If not, Im just not sure how they would have taken more minutes from bess, thatch, or goodwin. 

After re reading this tweet I think your first question is correct.  I thought at first what you did your second part.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

15 minutes isn't that big of a deal if they are staggered. Bess probably wouldn't have come off the floor.

thats why we(or I) were trying to figure out if if was 15 per player, or 15 combined between the two.  It has to be combined because ya thats not a lot, but thats a ton if Stu was saying both would log 15 per