Coach Carousel

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Sometimes coaches slow-play the hires so that coaches can watch/talk to kids they are recruiting outside of the NCAA restrictions. I have no idea if that is happening here but I doubt Ford wants too much time to go before hiring a replacement. If he was just promoting internally, you'd think he'd have already done it so that coach could get on the road and start recruiting/evaluating.

Majerus did that his first year when hiring - I believe - Biancardi. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Majerus did that his first year when hiring - I believe - Biancardi. 

at this point i believe the above is what is happening.   i find it hard to believe coach ford hasnt identified a new asst coach yet.   but if it is a coach not currently on staff that coach is free to see whatever kid he wants at any time until he is under contract.   i would not be surprised if this goes on till school starts.   

it isnt against the rules and other programs do it.  why not us.   

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

at this point i believe the above is what is happening.   i find it hard to believe coach ford hasnt identified a new asst coach yet.   but if it is a coach not currently on staff that coach is free to see whatever kid he wants at any time until he is under contract.   i would not be surprised if this goes on till school starts.   

I think the guy is a former member of a staff that got fired. I would expect an announcement right around the time his former employer no longer has to pay him.

JMM28 likes this

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Well it looks like Ford is done for this year recruiting from the Stu twitter post so he has time to find the right guy.  I would think he has talked to several people and is giving them time to think through the idea of coming to SLU and all that would be involved.  I am not worried that he is taking his time.  I do agree with you that if he was going to promote from within that he would have already done that or at least made noise to lead you to believe that is how he is thinking.  Of course I guess he could change his mind also.

What about the possibility of picking up a guy after the NBA evaluations of non agent retained seniors? Any chance he had a contact or two there who would be a good GT big for us? They would have to see there is plenty of PT available  for a serviceable big man, for a team that won its league last year.

mhg

mhg

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

What about the possibility of picking up a guy after the NBA evaluations of non agent retained seniors? Any chance he had a contact or two there who would be a good GT big for us? They would have to see there is plenty of PT available  for a serviceable big man, for a team that won its league last year.

mhg

mhg

Sure

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

This could be true but if he is looking at a person who is under contract then that person could not see players at will.  It is possible that a coach would be let out of there contract if the new job is viewed to be a step up.  Not sure of the Macon contract situation at SLU.

Howard is a great guy and I would imagine he has a great mind for the game, but I just don't know about this.  Coaching in the pros is totally different than running a collage program.  Howard has no college coaching experience and unlike Penny doesn't have the grassroots basketball connections.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Howard is a great guy and I would imagine he has a great mind for the game, but I just don't know about this.  Coaching in the pros is totally different than running a collage program.  Howard has no college coaching experience and unlike Penny doesn't have the grassroots basketball connections.

I agree Brian it is a reach would be similar to if SLU hired Anthony Bonner as a head coach.

I hope it works out well with Howard he is one of my favorite college players.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Chris Mullin, Patrick Ewing, Jerry Stackhouse - hiring alumni/NBA assistants is really becoming a thing. I wonder what's driving it? It's not like this strategy has a track record of success. 

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Chris Mullin, Patrick Ewing, Jerry Stackhouse - hiring alumni/NBA assistants is really becoming a thing. I wonder what's driving it? It's not like this strategy has a track record of success. 

I think it’s because it’s a name that sells tickets to casual fans.  Most people think because someone is a great player that they’ll be a great coach,

Most active head coaches played college basketball. The difference is that this new wave also happened to be NBA stars. It's not like these guys need money. Career earnings:

Juwan Howard - $151.5 million
Patrick Ewing - $125.2 million
Anfernee Hardaway - $120.5 million
Jerry Stackhouse - $84.4 million

I guess you could say that guys like Fred Hoiberg, Chris Mullin, Avery Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Isaiah Thomas, and Dan Majerle could also be lumped in here, but only a couple coached at their alma maters and their hirings were a little more spread out.

What's interesting to me about this wave is that with the exception of Stackhouse, they're going back to their alma maters and there seemed to be a lot of public pressure to hire them, but also that I can't imagine any of them have too much respect or concern for the NCAA itself. I'm not saying I think they're dirty, but imagine being a guy who made 9 figures in the NBA and then being told you can't buy a player's lunch or whatever. I'm wondering if having big-time stars come through the coaching ranks in college will put additional pressure on the NCAA to reform some of its rules. The pressure keeps increasing every season and having legitimately beloved superstars return to coach their college teams could create an additional wave of fan outcry to change some things, especially if they prove successful.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Most active head coaches played college basketball. The difference is that this new wave also happened to be NBA stars. It's not like these guys need money. Career earnings:

Juwan Howard - $151.5 million
Patrick Ewing - $125.2 million
Anfernee Hardaway - $120.5 million
Jerry Stackhouse - $84.4 million

I guess you could say that guys like Fred Hoiberg, Chris Mullin, Avery Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Isaiah Thomas, and Dan Majerle could also be lumped in here, but only a couple coached at their alma maters and their hirings were a little more spread out.

What's interesting to me about this wave is that with the exception of Stackhouse, they're going back to their alma maters and there seemed to be a lot of public pressure to hire them, but also that I can't imagine any of them have too much respect or concern for the NCAA itself. I'm not saying I think they're dirty, but imagine being a guy who made 9 figures in the NBA and then being told you can't buy a player's lunch or whatever. I'm wondering if having big-time stars come through the coaching ranks in college will put additional pressure on the NCAA to reform some of its rules. The pressure keeps increasing every season and having legitimately beloved superstars return to coach their college teams could create an additional wave of fan outcry to change some things, especially if they prove successful.

It just isn't that they were NBA stars, but that they have no experience at the college level.  Danny Manning was a two time all-star and sixth man winner, but even he put a decade into moving up the ladder in the college game.

Pistol likes this

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It just isn't that they were NBA stars, but that they have no experience at the college level.  Danny Manning was a two time all-star and sixth man winner, but even he put a decade into moving up the ladder in the college game.

These ADs seems to be buying into the idea that head guy just needs to excite recruits and he can hire assistants to handle the details of strategy.  If college basketball and pro basketball were the same game, I would also buy into this.  But it isn't.  College kids aren't as talented or disciplined and they need more than a figurehead to lead them.

brianstl likes this

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

These ADs seems to be buying into the idea that head guy just needs to excite recruits and he can hire assistants to handle the details of strategy.  If college basketball and pro basketball were the same game, I would also buy into this.  But it isn't.  College kids aren't as talented or disciplined and they need more than a figurehead to lead them.

I really think Howard is a really good basketball mind.  I just don't think these guys jumping straight into a college head coaching job know how much time you have to put in year round to run a successful college program.  I don't think they realize recruiting trips will require them to drive or fly commercial instead of charters.  I don't think they know how important it is to fund raise and the effort involved to keep multiple big donors happy.  

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I really think Howard is a really good basketball mind.  I just don't think these guys jumping straight into a college head coaching job know how much time you have to put in year round to run a successful college program.  I don't think they realize recruiting trips will require them to drive or fly commercial instead of charters.  I don't think they know how important it is to fund raise and the effort involved to keep multiple big donors happy.  

Why wouldn't they know this?  Now, what they do about it is something else, but who doesn't realize these things?  

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Why wouldn't they know this?  Now, what they do about it is something else, but who doesn't realize these things?  

A guy that has only been exposed to the player side at a top 20 program and spent the last 20+ years living in the NBA player/coach bubble.

48 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I think they all "know" it. However, knowing it and grasping the reality of it can be two different things

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

And he sucks

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

A guy that has only been exposed to the player side at a top 20 program and spent the last 20+ years living in the NBA player/coach bubble.

So "fans" know it.  But coaches in the NBA wouldn't know it.  And AD's wouldn't discuss it during interviews?  I really doubt it.

I stated it earlier and @slufanskip repeated, its what they do about it that is unknown and where they can get caught.  They know what they are getting into before they sign.  

My opinion doesn't agree with your opinion.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

My opinion doesn't agree with your opinion.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Well that means your opinion is 110% wrong. That is a scientific fact.

He's gotcha there Hoosier. There's no arguing with science.