Coach Carousel

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Anderson is a decent enough coach, but I m’m just not sure how he fits as a recruiter in NYC

He's going to have to hire at least one New York based assistant to have any chance at a blue chip recruit.  But he's a big enough name to attract 3 stars along the East Coast.  Anderson's career has always been about doing more with less.

brianstl likes this

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Anderson's style of play was good enough to make 3 of the last 5 NCAA tournaments. St. John's has only made the Dance 4 times in the last 18 years.

It's also a fun style of play for the fan and for players. I could see him picking up some guys who love to play fast. I think it's a pretty solid hire.

1 hour ago, willie said:

I think his style of play has been passed by. I know they were desperate but I don’t see this as a good fit. 

willie doesnt anderson still employ the 40 minutes of hell all over the floor havoc like defense with an emphasis on fast break opportunities?   if that is correct, i think the players all love that, if wrong, what style of play does anderson employ these days?

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

willie doesnt anderson still employ the 40 minutes of hell all over the floor havoc like defense with an emphasis on fast break opportunities?   if that is correct, i think the players all love that, if wrong, what style of play does anderson employ these days?

Yes, but it doesn’t have the shock value it once had. I’ll say the same thing about havoc. Teams are better prepared. In my opinion today’s game at the highest level is all about shooting the 3. I think this years tournament was a testament to that. 

Mike Anderson is a good coach and he can make St. John’s competitive. He’s older. And there will be a rebuild. The admin is a challenge. So we’ll see. But he can coach.  He’s in that small category of coaches to never have had a losing season.  It took him 4 years to make NCAA’s at Arkansas, then made 3 of next 5. He never made it to the 2nd weekend. (1995-1996 was last time) .....after Heath and Pelphrey didn’t work out, hopes were very high with a Nolan Richardson disciple. Arkansas also won pretty big with Eddie Sutton prior to Richardson.  

No school in the SEC has gone longer making a Sweet 16. Two have had the same drought, Miss. St. and Georgia. The league has been getting stronger, hiring big name coaches, and having various schools have some success.  

3 hours ago, courtside said:

Mike Anderson is a good coach and he can make St. John’s competitive. He’s older. And there will be a rebuild. The admin is a challenge. So we’ll see. But he can coach.  He’s in that small category of coaches to never have had a losing season.  It took him 4 years to make NCAA’s at Arkansas, then made 3 of next 5. He never made it to the 2nd weekend. (1995-1996 was last time) .....after Heath and Pelphrey didn’t work out, hopes were very high with a Nolan Richardson disciple. Arkansas also won pretty big with Eddie Sutton prior to Richardson.  

No school in the SEC has gone longer making a Sweet 16. Two have had the same drought, Miss. St. and Georgia. The league has been getting stronger, hiring big name coaches, and having various schools have some success.  

If I remember correctly didn’t Anderson have a fall out because he kept asking for more money year after year until they finally said enough and told him if he could find someplace he would be happier then go in peace. How will this behavior play at St. John’s.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

If I remember correctly didn’t Anderson have a fall out because he kept asking for more money year after year until they finally said enough and told him if he could find someplace he would be happier then go in peace. How will this behavior play at St. John’s.

Sounds like a good fit all around: A coach that constantly wants more than what he is given, an AD that is undermined by the  president and a major donor, and a president that cannot stay away from micromanaging. A really jolly situation for all, they deserve one another. How long it will last is anyone's guess.

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

You have a few things going on there. Some coaches are unhappy and float their name to either get a better contract where they are, or to leave and go elsewhere.  Some do it often, some don’t do it at all. Some of these coaches will approach sports media friends to float their name for them for different jobs. In those instances, the media person will talk about what a great fit that coach would be there or say that coach may be interested etc...it’s all in the wording. Some coaches will want to be considered quietly and don’t want their name out there in rumors unless they can get the job.  It’s considered ok and normal to have this happen once in a while. But doing it annually to almost annually gets a coach and even their media buddies a negative reputation. 

As for Anderson, he will get a brief grace period to rebuild, get a competitive team going, and then see what happens. He isn’t likely to get too many power 5 looks in his early to mid 60’s. Maybe a few if he does really well. Times are changing where coaches coach longer from a health standpoint, as well as retire due to more money in their pocket, both. At this point in Anderson’s career, I don’t think there will be as much issue with the annual flirt with somewhere else. I have no idea why St. John’s didn’t hire a handful of other good candidates. They were determined to hire a certain name. 

As you have seen, some of the “nicer” coaches in the game will do this even once in a while if they feel under appreciated and have a low risk to ask for more where they are...especially when they have several other options out there. It’s the old supply and demand Econ 101.  

• 4 weeks later...

I think this leaves Michigan and North Dakota as the only current open jobs. It's weird to have a big-time job open up this late. A lot of names are being thrown around, but obviously a lot of college fans would like to see either an assistant or someone outside the ranks (like Donovan) to keep more dominoes from falling.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I believe that’s called “coach speak”?

Sometimes coaches slow-play the hires so that coaches can watch/talk to kids they are recruiting outside of the NCAA restrictions. I have no idea if that is happening here but I doubt Ford wants too much time to go before hiring a replacement. If he was just promoting internally, you'd think he'd have already done it so that coach could get on the road and start recruiting/evaluating.

HoosierPal likes this

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

Sometimes coaches slow-play the hires so that coaches can watch/talk to kids they are recruiting outside of the NCAA restrictions. I have no idea if that is happening here but I doubt Ford wants too much time to go before hiring a replacement. If he was just promoting internally, you'd think he'd have already done it so that coach could get on the road and start recruiting/evaluating.

Well it looks like Ford is done for this year recruiting from the Stu twitter post so he has time to find the right guy.  I would think he has talked to several people and is giving them time to think through the idea of coming to SLU and all that would be involved.  I am not worried that he is taking his time.  I do agree with you that if he was going to promote from within that he would have already done that or at least made noise to lead you to believe that is how he is thinking.  Of course I guess he could change his mind also.