Coach Carousel

We're all hoping that Travis can get us to a Sweet 16 in the not too distant future. In addition, we're all hoping that our NCAA appearances are more regular, say 2 every 3 years. If Ford can do that, he can be here as long as he wishes. Of course, that begs the question; is it his wish to stay at a mid major or does he venture back into P5 land? 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I wouldn't be happy at all if Ford had Martelli-esque results here.

St Joes is a little over half the size of SLU. They've made some nice upgrades to their campus recently, and are located in a really good area right off the Main Line in Philly. But their facilities aren't comparable to ours...and it's really not close. No Med School. No Law School. Hagan Arena isn't great. For the most part, our expectations shouldn't be aligned with Regional schools. Martelli was great for St. Joes. Going to the Tourney once every 3.5 years is outstanding for them. 

I think our goal needs to be the NCAA Tournament 3 out of 5 years, or at least 5 times every decade. If Xavier did it (a rare exception for regional private schools), so can we. Up until they took off in 2000, X was hovering at about 5 out of 10 years in the Tourney. That is a realistic expectation to have for a school like SLU in my opinion. 

-I agree with this, looking at present day and what I think the future holds (or should hold) 7 out of 24 should not be acceptable at SLU, looking at our past it would be, I'm in the looking to our future camp

Evan Daniels, others reporting that Roger Powell, most recently three year Vandy assistant under Bryce Drew has been hired by Mark Few at Gonzaga to replace the retiring Donny Daniels.  Jake Diebler, also a former Drew assistant and lead recruiter for Darius Garland is returning to Ohio St. under Chris Holtmann. He played for and later worked under Thad Matta. Important “local” recruit Keon Johnson said it was important to him that Vandy keep Diebler. Will be interesting to watch his recruitment. At Vandy, Jerry Stackhouse has hired David Grace an elite recruiter, highly respected by his peers and by media outlets nationally as his first announced assistant.

5 hours ago, courtside said:

Evan Daniels, others reporting that Roger Powell, most recently three year Vandy assistant under Bryce Drew has been hired by Mark Few at Gonzaga to replace the retiring Donny Daniels.  Jake Diebler, also a former Drew assistant and lead recruiter for Darius Garland is returning to Ohio St. under Chris Holtmann. He played for and later worked under Thad Matta. Important “local” recruit Keon Johnson said it was important to him that Vandy keep Diebler. Will be interesting to watch his recruitment. At Vandy, Jerry Stackhouse has hired David Grace an elite recruiter, highly respected by his peers and by media outlets nationally as his first announced assistant.

I'm gonna say that this thread was designed to talk about major head coaching changes not assistants and who they are recruiting at schools that have nothing to do with SLU.

7 hours ago, Bizziken said:

I wouldn't be happy at all if Ford had Martelli-esque results here.

St Joes is a little over half the size of SLU. They've made some nice upgrades to their campus recently, and are located in a really good area right off the Main Line in Philly. But their facilities aren't comparable to ours...and it's really not close. No Med School. No Law School. Hagan Arena isn't great. For the most part, our expectations shouldn't be aligned with Regional schools. Martelli was great for St. Joes. Going to the Tourney once every 3.5 years is outstanding for them. 

I think our goal needs to be the NCAA Tournament 3 out of 5 years, or at least 5 times every decade. If Xavier did it (a rare exception for regional private schools), so can we. Up until they took off in 2000, X was hovering at about 5 out of 10 years in the Tourney. That is a realistic expectation to have for a school like SLU in my opinion. 

SLU should make the tournament 4 out of every 5 years 

Bizziken likes this

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

I'm gonna say that this thread was designed to talk about major head coaching changes not assistants and who they are recruiting at schools that have nothing to do with SLU.

Really? Prior to your post above, you have posted 6 times in this thread. 5 of those posts were about the SEC, (mostly) Big 10, Big 12, Big East.  You have posted once that included former SLU assistant Porter Moser. That’s the only connection to SLU I see.

Donny Daniels recruited 11 years for Rick Majerus. The others have been discussed in this thread (including one of your posts) and an additional thread. 

ACE likes this

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Jim Platt, head coach, St Johns University. Just get it over with.

Funny.

I wonder if the powers at St. John’s think this was not thought out very well and are regretting firing their Coach?

blue font, where do they go from here Soderberg, Romar?

19 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

Mike Anderson is being mentioned as a candidate for the St. John's job.

-I could see a 40 minutes of hell team becoming very popular in NYC, not sure if he is the guy to do it or if it would win, but entertaining to draw eyes and butts

It sounds like the internal politics at St Johns have made it a pretty toxic process. I think it was Goodman that had a tweet from a coach that interviewed saying that their VP handled everything in the most unprofessional way he has ever seen. 

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/04/17/st-johns-basketball-coaching-search/3502718002/

Good line here, St. John's has moved from egg on their face to "wearing an omelet hat".

When the Red Storm have egg on their faces — right now, during their train-wreck search to replace the disappointing Chris Mullin, they’re practically wearing an omelet as a hat — the conference gets splattered, too.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

And Mike Anderson is the new HC at St John. 

This is the best result the president and his booster frenemy could have hoped for.  Anderson has made plenty of money and just wants to coach.  He isn't going to play into their dysfunction.  You're not going to be able to pressure him with unrealistic milestones. And he has more class in this big toe than either of the Two Stooges has in his whole body. Maybe Gempesaw and Repole will learn some humility and stay in their lanes.