Coach Carousel

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

What do you not get?  A good poster asks a legitimate question. Another good poster is not sure and posts an incorrect answer and then 2 more good posters then provide this Board with not only the correct answer but complete answers - which I appreciate- and in between you post a snarky question to this good poster about not knowing about Google.  Why did you not use Google and provide the answer?  No need to answer, we already know.

I didn’t need to use Google to provide the answer because it was major college basketball news when Musselman went to Arkansas. My comment on Google was light hearted and I specifically didn’t quote anyone so as not to hurt any feelings. I should've remembered that it’s 2019 and people are always looking for reasons to get offended. 

I’ve provided a link below regarding Musselman so that you can have some closure:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Eric+musselman

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is interesting.  Doc Sadler was head coach at Nebraska, and fired in 2012 when Tim Miles was hired.  Now Sadler resigns as HC of SMiss to go back to the school that fired him, after his replacement, Miles, was fired.

The salary for assistants must be really rising in the P5. Sadler has just started to really show the  results for the complete rebuild job he had at Southern Miss.  They were decimated by the NCAA after the Donnie Tyndall stuff.

58 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I didn’t need to use Google to provide the answer because it was major college basketball news when Musselman went to Arkansas. My comment on Google was light hearted and I specifically didn’t quote anyone so as not to hurt any feelings. I should've remembered that it’s 2019 and people are always looking for reasons to get offended. 

I’ve provided a link below regarding Musselman so that you can have some closure:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Eric+musselman

Light hearted?  Cheese sure didn’t take it that way. Snarky applies in 2019 just as it did prior.

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Interesting.  When Whitesell was an assistant under Majerus, Thorpe had been retained and forced on RickMa by Biondi, and Majerus cashiered Thorpe after one year — allegedly for failing to hold Ruben Cotto's hand (so to speak), if I'm remembering correctly (I'm probably a bit off).  I'm a bit surprised that Whitesell would renew that relationship, though I do think that Thorpe has certainly grown as a coach since Majerus fired him and am glad he's getting a shot to move up again.

Interesting article on St John's Chris Mullins. Thought he finally turned St John's around with getting them into the Dance.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2019/04/09/a-hire-chris-mullin-was-not-allowed-to-make-helped-set-the-stage-for-his-departure/#302e2f995b56

So with Brannen to UC, I think the only remaining open jobs are:

St. John's

Southern Miss

Lipscomb

NKU

Howard

Idaho State

Kennesaw State

Morgan State

Maryland-Eastern Shore

Mississippi Valley State

There are obviously more dominoes to fall as some of these jobs will be filled by other D-I head coaches but it looks like things have slowed down quite a bit. St. John's search appears to be going poorly so far, and that's the only one that has potential for another big ripple.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

St. John's

Southern Miss

Lipscomb

NKU

Howard

Idaho State

Kennesaw State

Morgan State

Maryland-Eastern Shore

Mississippi Valley State

There are obviously more dominoes to fall as some of these jobs will be filled by other D-I head coaches but it looks like things have slowed down quite a bit. St. John's search appears to be going poorly so far, and that's the only one that has potential for another big ripple.

Looks like the St John's AD made the same mistake some P5 schools made this time around.  Fired the coach without solid backup plans in place if the top choice told you no.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

St. John's

Southern Miss

Lipscomb

NKU

Howard

Idaho State

Kennesaw State

Morgan State

Maryland-Eastern Shore

Mississippi Valley State

Thanks for the summary.  It took me 45 minutes last night to get to where you are.  I sure hope TF doesn't want the NKU job (Blue Font).

Cronin-Cincy to UCLA

Alford- UCLA to Nevada

Musselman-Nevada to Arkansas

Brannen - NKU to Cincy

Mullins out at SJ (Big East job open)

47 minutes ago, Pistol said:

St. John's

Southern Miss

Lipscomb

NKU

Howard

Idaho State

Kennesaw State

Morgan State

Maryland-Eastern Shore

Mississippi Valley State

i thought mullins went back to st john's?   that never happened?

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i thought mullins went back to st john's?   that never happened?

No, he was pushed out. Then they tried to land Bobby Hurley from Arizona State, but he stayed put. Then they were said to be interested in the Iona head coach (Tim Cluess) but wouldn't pay his buyout. Now they're said to be interested in John Scheyer from Duke and Porter Moser, with Mullin's associate head coach, Greg St. Jean, as the back-up plan if they can't make it work with any splashier candidates. It's been a mess.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:49 AM, HoosierPal said:

This is interesting.  Doc Sadler was head coach at Nebraska, and fired in 2012 when Tim Miles was hired.  Now Sadler resigns as HC of SMiss to go back to the school that fired him, after his replacement, Miles, was fired.

They recently hired a new, young AD at Southern Miss.  Doc was on Holberg’s staff at ISU, as was Lutz.  Doc left on good terms, and will get paid about as much to be an assistant as he was getting as a head coach.  For him it’s a good move to go somewhere more stable and finish out his career in Lincoln where he really enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

No, he was pushed out. Then they tried to land Bobby Hurley from Arizona State, but he stayed put. Then they were said to be interested in the Iona head coach (Tim Cluess) but wouldn't pay his buyout. Now they're said to be interested in John Scheyer from Duke and Porter Moser, with Mullin's associate head coach, Greg St. Jean, as the back-up plan if they can't make it work with any splashier candidates. It's been a mess.

Would you think of the situation you are describing as a failure (erroneous evaluation of potential) caused by the AD?

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Would you think of the situation you are describing as a failure (erroneous evaluation of potential) caused by the AD?

It's hard to put it all on the AD. It's clear that Mullin and the AD weren't on the same page for quite some time, as Mullin went over the AD's head to the president several times. The search process after the fact is the AD's responsibility, though, and he didn't seem to have a backup plan for Hurley not accepting the job.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

The 'gossip' I read was the St. J didn't want to pay the buyout for Hurley either, somewhere in the $5mil neighborhood.

-I have no idea if Hurley was even interested, but got me thinking, today is the AZ St job better than St John's? I can see where AZ St is better today but given its location, St John's has the potential to be a big time program

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I have no idea if Hurley was even interested, but got me thinking, today is the AZ St job better than St John's? I can see where AZ St is better today but given its location, St John's has the potential to be a big time program

i bet, a big part of this decision for hurley was likely a chance to go home to nyc area.   but even then it has to make fiscal sense to do.   if st johns wasnt going to pony up to make that happen, why should hurley give them a bargain contract so they can afford to do the buyout with az state.