Coach Carousel

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Other names people are throwing around: John Brannen (NKU), Matt McMahon (Murray State), Thad Matta, Andy Kennedy, Tubby Smith (High Point).

I like Van Exel on paper better than Stackhouse. For a decade Van Exel has shown he is really willing to do the really hard work.  His first coaching job was as an assistant at Texas Southern.  Then, he put a couple seasons in as a skill instructor for the Hawks. He even spent a season as G League assistant later on.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, brianstl said:

I like Van Exel on paper better than Stackhouse. For a decade Van Exel has shown he is really willing to do the really hard work.  His first coaching job was as an assistant at Texas Southern.  Then, he put a couple seasons in as a skill instructor for the Hawks. He even spent a season as G League assistant later on.

He'd also be returning to his alma mater.

brianstl likes this

Well Cronin's best finish in NCAA Tourney was a Sweet 16 and he did that one time. Heck Ben Howland had 3 Final Fours and still ended up getting fired. UCLA fans can never understand that John Wooden reincarnated isn't happening ever again. 

billikenblue likes this

17 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Well Cronin's best finish in NCAA Tourney was a Sweet 16 and he did that one time. Heck Ben Howland had 3 Final Fours and still ended up getting fired. UCLA fans can never understand that John Wooden reincarnated isn't happening ever again. 

It’s not a perfect comparison but Billiken soccer and Bruin basketball are kind of similar in that respect 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s not a perfect comparison but Billiken soccer and Bruin basketball are kind of similar in that respect 

Yep. Remember when Bidwlll was quoted as saying winning Super Bowl would of been worst thin to happen to him because people would never be satisfied .

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think about that too, but there were more than one SLU HC involved with the 10 National Championships. In my 4 years SLU won 2 National Championships. 

4 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I think about that too, but there were more than one SLU HC involved with the 10 National Championships. In my 4 years SLU won 2 National Championships. 

Yeah. My point is more of the level and amount of competition. I’m sure John Wooden was great but the NCAA was not the gauntlet it is now 

Exactly right and that is what UCLA fans don't realize. When he started the run the field was only 32 teams. The NCAA Tourney is a real tough assignment this year...requires a 6 game win streak. The game has changed a lot too. The 3 point shot has had a big impact in the game. SLU hasn't had too many runs at the NCAA Tourney since I graduated. I'm guessing only two or three Final Fours since back in the 70's.

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

Exactly right and that is what UCLA fans don't realize. When he started the run the field was only 32 teams. The NCAA Tourney is a real tough assignment this year...requires a 6 game win streak. The game has changed a lot too. The 3 point shot has had a big impact in the game. SLU hasn't had too many runs at the NCAA Tourney since I graduated. I'm guessing only two or three Final Fours since back in the 70's.

Correction, the NCAA Tourney only had 25 teams until 1975.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah. My point is more of the level and amount of competition. I’m sure John Wooden was great but the NCAA was not the gauntlet it is now 

wooden's record was pretty ordinary until he suddenly got the best recruits from across the country

AGB91 likes this

14 hours ago, Schasz said:

Last NCAA title for soccer 1973.

Last time in the Final 1974 vs Howard (title was vacated).

Last College Cup appearances 1991 and 1997.

let's revisit the st louis steak scene.   i am thinking either flemings or kreis's this weekend.   what does everyone think?

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

let's revisit the st louis steak scene.   i am thinking either flemings or kreis's this weekend.   what does everyone think?

I've heard good things about the Syberg's place in the old Viking Watson and Lindbergh right down street from Kreis's. Assume you speak of dining On steak on Saturday night :) Anyone tried that place in Galleria all u can eat steak Texas de Brazil?

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

I've heard good things about the Syberg's place in the old Viking Watson and Lindbergh right down street from Kreis's. Assume you speak of dining On steak on Saturday night :) Anyone tried that place in Galleria all u can eat steak Texas de Brazil?

Twisted Tree. Had a very good prime rib there. 

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Local, family-owned and operated steakhouse for over 70 years > chain restaurant

Haven't been but heard Twisted Tree was really good.

Belmont hired Casey Alexander from Lipscomb. He did a nice job there and is now coming back home. He played under Rick Byrd at Belmont and was an assistant under him for years. This was a no-brainer.