Coach Carousel

Weird backstory in the Mullin situation. He apparently wanted to hire disgraced former Rutgers coach Mike Rice and the president refused, fearing a PR hit. There were some other disagreements, too, and it seems like the dynamic between Mullin, the AD, and the president was not a successful one.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Weird backstory in the Mullin situation. He apparently wanted to hire disgraced former Rutgers coach Mike Rice and the president refused, fearing a PR hit. There were some other disagreements, too, and it seems like the dynamic between Mullin, the AD, and the president was not a successful one.

April 6, New York Post:  The night St. John’s season ended, Chris Mullin told The Post he was “100 percent” planning on coaching his alma mater the following season. The next day, athletic director Mike Cragg voiced his support of Mullin. Despite a wildfire of rumors over the past 48 hours of a possible buyout, nothing has changed, and Cragg released a statement saying as much.

“Let me be clear, and [as] I said from the start, Coach Mullin is our head coach and we are not looking for another head coach,” Cragg said in the statement.

Hmm, I guess AD Cragg realllllly didn't mean it?  

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

April 6, New York Post:  The night St. John’s season ended, Chris Mullin told The Post he was “100 percent” planning on coaching his alma mater the following season. The next day, athletic director Mike Cragg voiced his support of Mullin. Despite a wildfire of rumors over the past 48 hours of a possible buyout, nothing has changed, and Cragg released a statement saying as much.

“Let me be clear, and [as] I said from the start, Coach Mullin is our head coach and we are not looking for another head coach,” Cragg said in the statement.

Hmm, I guess AD Cragg realllllly didn't mean it?  

A booster/boosters had a change of heart about personally paying the buyout would be my guess.  Cragg probably meant it when he said it because all the boosters probably had rejected picking up the bill for the buyout.

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/1114662512299876353

I like that line from Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times:  the Vortex of Failure.  Perhaps that one can be borrowed.  I can think of a number of examples.

UCLA's (John Wooden's) Pyramid of Success has become the Vortex of Failure.

Calipari, Dickson, Barnes ... as a taxpayer of this Golden State, this is embarrassing.  I simply fail to see why the 2 big UC's, Berkeley and UCLA, cannot find a coach from California, the Nation's largest state, or at least, at minimum, a coach from The West.  The executive search firms need to apply a Western filter.

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

Mullins out at St John's. Bobby Hurley from ASU is primary target. One door closes another opens. 

I think Bobby Hurley would absolutely kill it at St John's.  I guess the big issue would be his buyout which is either $3 million or $2.5 million depending on the official start day of an extension he signed. If it isn't him it will be some other ex Dukie. Cragg  was involved with Dukes basketball program for 31 years.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think Bobby Hurley would absolutely kill it at St John's.  I guess the big issue would be his buyout which is either $3 million or $2.5 million depending on the official start day of an extension he signed. If it isn't him it will be some other ex Dukie. Cragg  was involved with Dukes basketball program for 31 years.

Pitino is also interested in the job.

I'm using "interested" loosely, given the rest of his quote there.

I'm also wondering if UCLA's search has been enough of a disaster and just go for Pitino.

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/1114662512299876353

I like that line from Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times:  the Vortex of Failure.  Perhaps that one can be borrowed.  I can think of a number of examples.

UCLA's (John Wooden's) Pyramid of Success has become the Vortex of Failure.

Calipari, Dickson, Barnes ... as a taxpayer of this Golden State, this is embarrassing.  I simply fail to see why the 2 big UC's, Berkeley and UCLA, cannot find a coach from California, the Nation's largest state, or at least, at minimum, a coach from The West.  The executive search firms need to apply a Western filter.

Who are some guys who would fit this description?

Just now, HoosierPal said:

And Cragg was worried about a PR hit with hiring Rice as an Assistant?

I don't think it's going to happen, and it's a moot point if they succeed in landing Hurley. Just interesting that he's positioning himself as the ideal candidate for that job.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Pitino is also interested in the job.

I'm using "interested" loosely, given the rest of his quote there.

I'm also wondering if UCLA's search has been enough of a disaster and just go for Pitino.

A few of the different St. John's blogs have mentioned that rumors of Pitino's interest in the job have been circulating for sometime.  I just can't see a Catholic school hiring him, but you never know.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:23 AM, Schasz said:

UCLA's last Final Four was under Ben Howland in 2008 and their last NCAA Championship was 1995 under Jim Harrick...anyone remember Tyus Edney's dash down the court with precious seconds left for the winning layup in the Elite 8 game VS Mizzou?  Word is that UCLA has made an offer to Rick Barnes. He is the 2nd highest paid HC in the SEC at $3M+ and his buyout is $5M. If it is all about the Benjamins then CRB is probably a goner. The UT faithful hope that AD Phil Fulmer does not budge a penny on the buyout. This appears to be a pretty fluid thing going on so I assume something happens in the next 24-48 hours.

That game was in the Round of 32.

How often do you see a team have a scare in at least one of the first two rounds yet go on to win the Title.  Heck, even Virginia had some precarious moments in the first round against Gardner-Webb.

Cronin is getting 6 years, $24 million.

He makes $2.2 million/year at UC. I'm not even sure the new contract covers the cost of living adjustment.

In my eyes, UCLA has pretty specific needs: someone who can recruit 5-star and 4-star players every year, handle the burden of history, navigate the second largest media market, live up to the expectation of being the best or second-best program every year in a power conference, and to do it with enough savvy to satisfy a massive, wealthy booster base.

Mick Cronin is a blue collar dude from the West Side of Cincinnati. He's surly with the press, not particularly polished, and not a great recruiter. He's an excellent coach but defensive-minded. If you're a UCLA fan, he's more Howland than Lavin, but I don't think he's even the recruiter that Howland is.

This one is puzzling to me, except for the fact that the search had been going so badly that they couldn't wait any longer.

Zink likes this

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He makes $2.2 million/year at UC. I'm not even sure the new contract covers the cost of living adjustment.

In my eyes, UCLA has pretty specific needs: someone who can recruit 5-star and 4-star players every year, handle the burden of history, navigate the second largest media market, live up to the expectation of being the best or second-best program every year in a power conference, and to do it with enough savvy to satisfy a massive, wealthy booster base.

Mick Cronin is a blue collar dude from the West Side of Cincinnati. He's surly with the press, not particularly polished, and not a great recruiter. He's an excellent coach but defensive-minded. If you're a UCLA fan, he's more Howland than Lavin, but I don't think he's even the recruiter that Howland is.

This one is puzzling to me, except for the fact that the search had been going so badly that they couldn't wait any longer.

I do not get Cronin wanting this job. 

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

UCLA kept striking out I was starting to get worried they were going to come after Travis.

Billiken Rich likes this

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Agreed.  Cronin's name to UCLA was listed previously as a backup choice, but ahead of Randy Bennett.

I don't think this hire makes much sense at all.  But UCLA was looking desperate, taking PR hits.  Old time Bruins have heard from their parents that John Wooden came to UCLA from Indiana State in the Midwest, and was a Purdue man.

HoosierPal likes this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Read the replies.

Thanks for the read the replies tip.

Some Cincy fans seem to be happy he is leaving and most UCLA fans were not impressed with the hire.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Thanks for the read the replies tip.

Some Cincy fans seem to be happy he is leaving and most UCLA fans were not impressed with the hire.

While this California taxpayer is also less than impressed, UCLA fans keep waiting for the return of John Wooden.  They basically are happy with no one except the Wizard of Westwood himself.