Coach Carousel

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, courtside said:

Results have been mixed with NBA people take college coaching positions. It has worked out well for Hoiberg, Musselman, etc..so so for some others and bad for others. 

You can say the same for non-NBA coaches also. 

43 minutes ago, courtside said:

Results have been mixed with NBA people take college coaching positions. It has worked out well for Hoiberg, Musselman, etc..so so for some others and bad for others. 

It's been about 30% good and 70% bad. And the two major successes everyone cites, Hoiberg and Musselman, did something fundamentally different from their peers: they built and maintained older teams through the use of transfers. I prefer a more organic approach but it's hard to argue with their success.

Most of these ADs aren't students of college basketball. They're just signing the biggest name they can get and hoping everything works out.

There will always be variety and mixed results. I would never say some place could or couldn’t only win one way or definitely would or wouldn’t. Results have shown otherwise. It’s not too different from recruiting. On paper or rankings don’t always mean a whole lot. They didn’t for Chris Beard at Texas Tech with his roster of under recruited players, transfers, etc..or Buzz Williams at Marquette. Patrick Ewing was well regarded as a long time NBA assistant. We’ll see what happens. It may or may not work out. But it’s an additional viable approach. Stackhouse is well regarded as an NBA coach and G league. Whom he hires as assistants will be very important. Vandy becomes the first power 5 school with African American AD, football and hoops coaches. Vandy’s new AD is where he is because he is a fundraiser, $. David Williams was very good, hired many elite coaches that have had very successful programs at Vandy. But Williams was not a back slapping networking fund raiser type in any way. The school went so far as to take away money from Athletics fund raising. Turner is there to upgrade football and men’s hoop fundraising and facilities. He hired what he knew. If Stackhouse fails, Turner will get slammed by media and fans. We’ll see the progress or not in 3-5 years.

Funny how things work out ..... Whitesell, former head coach fired and now an assistant at SLU, and [dead],former head coach fired and now an assistant at SLU,  supposedly ran the show with Majerus down and when [dead] got the replacement gig, Whitesell went off to St.John's.  I saw him at our tourney in Brooklyn that year.  Nice enough guy in conversation.  Told me he was disinclined to stay with [dead] so he did what most assistant coaches do.

Now here we are, six or so years later, [dead] is dead and gone and Whitesell is back at the helm in D1.  I don't know if Whitesell can continue on at Buffalo ala Hurley and Oats but I'll be interested watching to see.

Volnation has been buzzing today with the news that apparently Rick Barnes is a candidate for the UCLA job. Today he was named Naismith COY. I suppose anything is possible, but until there is a presser to name him as the Bruins HC count me as skeptical.

Knoxville > LA, Rick Barnes should stay away unless he likes the big city over eastern Tennessee.

Schasz likes this

UCLA has unrealistic expectations in today's world of college hoops. They are kind of stuck in the late 60s early 70s mindset where they should dominate the scene. You'd think they'd have pulled their head out of the sand by now almost 50 years after their glory days. Yes, it was a blue blood job back in the day, say the early 80s, but not so today. They've even had more success than most schools over the past 20 years when they get to the dance, but none of that seems to be good enough for them. They've had really good coaches who for one reason or another just didn't stick around. I had read or heard back in the 80's that Crum was offered the job any number of times but turned them down to stay at Louisville. The reason; he knew they wanted a repeat of the Wooden II era and anything short of that would put the coach in the hot seat. That day has sailed. I don't know why they don't make an offer to Randy Bennet. He likes S.California, he'd do a good job, and while not a big splash hire, he's more than a ripple in the pond. It also seems they're not willing to shell out the bucks necessary to land a big name guy. I guess their thinking is a coach should pay them for the honor to coach the vaunted Bruins. I'd be surprised if Barnes took this job, since most of his success has come coaching in the Southland. Clemson, Texas, and now UT. I do think he's one of the top 10 HC's in the land, and I'd be surprised if he headed west at this point in his career.

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

UCLA has unrealistic expectations in today's world of college hoops. They are kind of stuck in the late 60s early 70s mindset where they should dominate the scene. You'd think they'd have pulled their head out of the sand by now almost 50 years after their glory days. Yes, it was a blue blood job back in the day, say the early 80s, but not so today. They've even had more success than most schools over the past 20 years when they get to the dance, but none of that seems to be good enough for them. They've had really good coaches who for one reason or another just didn't stick around. I had read or heard back in the 80's that Crum was offered the job any number of times but turned them down to stay at Louisville. The reason; he knew they wanted a repeat of the Wooden II era and anything short of that would put the coach in the hot seat. That day has sailed. I don't know why they don't make an offer to Randy Bennet. He likes S.California, he'd do a good job, and while not a big splash hire, he's more than a ripple in the pond. It also seems they're not willing to shell out the bucks necessary to land a big name guy. I guess their thinking is a coach should pay them for the honor to coach the vaunted Bruins. I'd be surprised if Barnes took this job, since most of his success has come coaching in the Southland. Clemson, Texas, and now UT. I do think he's one of the top 10 HC's in the land, and I'd be surprised if he headed west at this point in his career.

UCLA's last Final Four was under Ben Howland in 2008 and their last NCAA Championship was 1995 under Jim Harrick...anyone remember Tyus Edney's dash down the court with precious seconds left for the winning layup in the Elite 8 game VS Mizzou?  Word is that UCLA has made an offer to Rick Barnes. He is the 2nd highest paid HC in the SEC at $3M+ and his buyout is $5M. If it is all about the Benjamins then CRB is probably a goner. The UT faithful hope that AD Phil Fulmer does not budge a penny on the buyout. This appears to be a pretty fluid thing going on so I assume something happens in the next 24-48 hours.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

That’s a good hire for them I have a friend who is an alum and he was bummed about Buzz leaving.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Very good summary of UCLA.  I agree that Randy Bennet would be a good hire for them.

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

UCLA's last Final Four was under Ben Howland in 2008 and their last NCAA Championship was 1995 under Jim Harrick...anyone remember Tyus Edney's dash down the court with precious seconds left for the winning layup in the Elite 8 game VS Mizzou?  Word is that UCLA has made an offer to Rick Barnes. He is the 2nd highest paid HC in the SEC at $3M+ and his buyout is $5M. If it is all about the Benjamins then CRB is probably a goner. The UT faithful hope that AD Phil Fulmer does not budge a penny on the buyout. This appears to be a pretty fluid thing going on so I assume something happens in the next 24-48 hours.

Tennessee will be fine if Barnes goes.  That is a really attractive job.  

The guy that made the most sense for UCLA was Jamie Dixon, but some stuff was working against that.  There is Dixon's $8 million buyout and the fact that Dan Guerrero would basically be paying that $8 million to admit he screwed up when he fired Howland by paying a crazy amount to hire Howland's protege.  

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Very good summary of UCLA.  I agree that Randy Bennet would be a good hire for them.

Looks like Barnes will take it if offered. I don't know who they could get with a better resume. Barnes has been successful at every stop in his career. Surprised he'd jump, though, 

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Looks like Barnes will take it if offered. I don't know who they could get with a better resume. Barnes has been successful at every stop in his career. Surprised he'd jump, though, 

I will have to look up Rick Barnes and see where he grew up and lived most of his life.  I have done a lot of work in LA and never liked the area it is just too crowded. I have also worked in Eastern Tennessee and loved it out there and would have lived out that way with the right job offer.  UCLA will not do any better than Coach Barnes and will be lucky to get him.  Step 2 after getting a coach is patience.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I will have to look up Rick Barnes and see where he grew up and lived most of his life.  I have done a lot of work in LA and never liked the area it is just too crowded. I have also worked in Eastern Tennessee and loved it out there and would have lived out that way with the right job offer.  UCLA will not do any better than Coach Barnes and will be lucky to get him.  Step 2 after getting a coach is patience.

I believe Rick Barnes is from NC. Strangely, his wife is a UT Alum. Half the people that have tweeted on this subject probably don't know what they are talking about. With the Championship Game tonight I didn't expect to hear an announcement today. If Barnes does leave AD Phil Fulmer would be replacing both the men and women basketball HC's.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

But living in LA at $4mil plus/ a year would be a whole lot more comfy than for a guy making $150k a year. The traffic would be a no go for me. 

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

He just got a vote of confidence from the AD.  Ha. 

That was in the NY Post. Also mentioned he might in ESPN. The Post reported the AD confidence vote two days ago. Then yesterday reported he was going to leave. ??? Up in the air I guess.