Coach Carousel

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Crickets on the Vanderbilt board after a week of optimism over a "home run" hire.  Not exactly a vote of confidence. At least if Stack was an alumnus he could energize the fanbase. This just looks like an AD hiring his buddy.

I wouldn’t gauge popularity via a message board or other social media. That’s a teeny tiny fraction of a fan base, No offense to this board but this board is a teeny tiny representation of SLU fans. Same for Vandy. Same for twitter etc...it’s fun and interesting for those that enjoy and partake.  That’s about it.

As for thr hire, it’s all on Malcom Turner.  If Stackhouse does well, he may leave for an NBA head coaching position or other big college position? (If a Roy Williams retired with good timing) So it doesn’t initially feel like a long term hire but it could be. You never know. 

He needs to hire a couple of strong recruiters, a good experienced bench coach. Reconnect with his old coach at Oak Hill Academy, as well as his own AAU outfit in Atlanta.  We’ll see what he can do in 3-5 years. He’s well regarded for player development.  Needs to make strong assistant hires. Thhe SEC has hired many very strong cosches. He will have his hands full.

Vandy’s chancellor announced thhe other day that he will step down in August due to health issues.  He will return a year later to teach at the law school. Nick zeppos, very highly regarded (and well deserved) for many things he did at Vandy over the years. But, major sports fundraising was not one of them. So that will be an interesting hire as well. Zeppos has been there since 1987 and chancellor since 2008. Vandy had a lot of its all time athletic successes during his time. They have many elite arhletic programs. 6 of 7 of those reportedly considered for the hoops position were/are African American. It was important in the hire. Many locals there will be watching Lipscomb’s Casey Alexander the next few to several years to see how his success compares. Alexander was never considered. He’s a Belmont grad and former long time Rick Byrd assistant there. He will be strongly considered for their opening. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm guess that you were that "obnoxious fan."

Nah I'm not Clocktower trying to make everything about me.   It was MoyToy.

4 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Jerry Jones is also a big Arkansas donor.

Looks like Texas is keeping Shaka so Beard won't be poached to UT.  I'm not sure if Arkansas is more attractive than TTU but Arkansas does have better cities to recruit from (Memphis,  STL, etc).

I think that the social media and vocal fan demands\outrage puts undue pressure on these ADs in the hiring process. 

Beard isn't going anywhere until a job he determines is dream job level opens up. He doesn't need to prove himself anywhere else anymore to move to the top of the food chain.  That job might be Texas or it could be be some place else, but it was never going to be Arkansas.  Hell, Arkansas offered Sampson a contract that had a smaller per year value than what Beard is currently making at TTU.

39 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Beard isn't going anywhere until a job he determines is dream job level opens up. He doesn't need to prove himself anywhere else anymore to move to the top of the food chain.  That job might be Texas or it could be be some place else, but it was never going to be Arkansas.  Hell, Arkansas offered Sampson a contract that had a smaller per year value than what Beard is currently making at TTU.

Are you basing this off some information or just your hunch?  Just wondering.   

brianstl likes this

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Crickets on the Vanderbilt board after a week of optimism over a "home run" hire.  Not exactly a vote of confidence. At least if Stack was an alumnus he could energize the fanbase. This just looks like an AD hiring his buddy.

All of the Vandy fans I’ve spoken with are pretty excited 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Are you basing this off some information or just your hunch?  Just wondering.   

What part? The salary of Beard at Texas Tech is public information.  Same with the new contract Sampson just signed at Houston.

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What part? The salary of Beard at Texas Tech is public information.  Same with the new contract Sampson just signed at Houston.

That he's waiting for a dream level job.  He might not be who knows.   All I know is that Lubbock is out there 5 hours west of DFW and thus has no built in recruiting territory.   So it's a constant challenge that he's overcome.   He's not from TTU.  He can certainly wait for the right situation which might be Texas depending on how next year goes. 

49 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

That he's waiting for a dream level job.  He might not be who knows.   All I know is that Lubbock is out there 5 hours west of DFW and thus has no built in recruiting territory.   So it's a constant challenge that he's overcome.   He's not from TTU.  He can certainly wait for the right situation which might be Texas depending on how next year goes. 

Chris Beard will have whatever job he wants when the time comes, imho. The dude just wins.

Good luck to Jerry Stackhouse. He inherits an 0-18 team, has never coached or recruited for a college basketball team in his life, has no notable local/alumni/recruiting connections, and - if his predecessor is any indication - has 3 years to get fully up to speed.

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Beard is probably the best coach in college basketball and he doesn’t need to be in a recruiting hotbed area to win at a high level. Beard will soon reach his 14th year living in Lubbock and 18th year in northwest Texas. His daughters were  born and spent the largest part of their life in Lubbock. His daughters currently live a couple hours outside of Lubbock with their mother. Beard backed out of the UNLV job to return to Lubbock. Beard isn’t leaving Lubbock for anything, but one of his dream jobs.  

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Avery Johnson was the coach of the year in the NBA. How did that workout for Bama?

True, but Bama doesn't care about basketball. Ole Miss and Bama are the worst jobs in the sec. Vandy has had some sustained success and support for the program. Johnson was not known in the NBA as a good coach, he couldn't get hired there anymore and his tenure at Bama exposed him even more.

Stackhouse has been known as an up and comer for a few years. He's won at every level he's coached. Unlike Johnson, Stackhouse is an xs and os guy as well.

Program like vandy isn't going to get a big time hire. They can hire a retread or an up and comer. They are thinking out of the box and hoping they land a great coach instead of hiring one they know is mediocre, like Arkansas just did.

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Beard is probably the best coach in college basketball and he doesn’t need to be in a recruiting hotbed area to win at a high level. Beard will soon reach his 14th year living in Lubbock and 18th year in northwest Texas. His daughters were  born and spent the largest part of their life in Lubbock. His daughters currently live a couple hours outside of Lubbock with their mother. Beard backed out of the UNLV job to return to Lubbock. Beard isn’t leaving Lubbock for anything, but one of his dream jobs.  

So he's that one guy who enjoys living in Lubbock.  Cool.

Actually I've been there multiple times and it's not that bad.

Ever notice how your sentiment is common for a lot of coaches yet so many move so much?  Not saying your wrong just saying I'm skeptical.   

54 minutes ago, NH said:

-Known for player development

-Standout reviews from G-League circles

-NBA pedigree will help with recruiting

I like Stackhouse, just not for this position.  The SEC has no patience for young coaches trying to figure it out.  And with the mess Stack is inheriting, there's a lot to figure out.  He would be a great fit for the Buffalo job.  It's already a winning program with lower expectations than the P5 conferences.

brianstl, Compton and AGB91 like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

And this has what to do with Stackhouse? Two different people, two different schools, two different situations. 

It is just one of the many examples of high level ex NBA players not working out at high level college basketball programs even with track records in the NBA or lower level NCAA programs. Danny Manning’s winning percentage at Wake Forest is 41%. Vanderbilt has a lot of similarities to Wake as an institution and as a program over shadowed in it’s own state by multiple programs.

11 hours ago, brianstl said:

It is just one of the many examples of high level ex NBA players not working out at high level college basketball programs even with track records in the NBA or lower level NCAA programs. Danny Manning’s winning percentage at Wake Forest is 41%. Vanderbilt has a lot of similarities to Wake as an institution and as a program over shadowed in it’s own state by multiple programs.

So you are crossing off Stackhouse already simply because he was in the NBA. I say you are in the 50/50 arena. I say give him a chance. No guarantees he succeeds and no guarantees he fails. Chris Mullin got St Johns into the NCAA. Ewing appears to have turned GTown around. Penny seems to be pointing the Memphis arrow upward after one season.