Coach Carousel

Whoa ?  They're considering Smart?  They can have him and look for Texas Tech to need a new coach if they do. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange development in Iowa City last last few days. There was talk that Arkansas may be interested in Fran McCaffery. Musselman and Richard Pitino were rumored to be in on the action as well. Fran denied that there was ever any communication between he and Arkansas, but a flight tracker shows that there may be some smoke to this rumor.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is kind of strange to see 4 Power 5 jobs still open with the NABC Convention already going on at the Final Four.  This is normally where these new P5 coaches would be at to start putting together their staffs.

This is most clueless collection of ADs I've ever seen. Their idea of a coaching search was to poach coaches who are already in better situations.

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

This is most clueless collection of ADs I've ever seen. Their idea of a coaching search was to poach coaches who are already in better situations.

Arkansas thinking they were going to get Sampson was crazy.  Arkansas isn't Texas A&M or Texas coming to poach the coach at Houston.  Houston just poached a football coach from a P5 program.  They weren't going to let Arkansas out spend them when it came to keeping their basketball coach.

3star_recruit likes this

28 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Arkansas thinking they were going to get Sampson was crazy.  Arkansas isn't Texas A&M or Texas coming to poach the coach at Houston.  Houston just poached a football coach from a P5 program.  They weren't going to let Arkansas out spend them when it came to keeping their basketball coach.

While I agree that Arkansas is not the job is was in the 90's, I think people often forget how much money that school has. Numerous ex-Walmart execs act as that schools backup wallet, the rumor about Beard is that Arkansas is willing to pay his $15M buyout if he wanted the job. 

11 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

While I agree that Arkansas is not the job is was in the 90's, I think people often forget how much money that school has. Numerous ex-Walmart execs act as that schools backup wallet, the rumor about Beard is that Arkansas is willing to pay his $15M buyout if he wanted the job. 

Look up Tilman Fertitta who is the chairman of the of the board of regents for the University of Houston.

Just now, prebilliken said:

Look up the Walton family. 

The living Walton heirs aren't as big donors to Arkansas athletics as Bud was for a time.  

Plus, it isn't just Fertitta's personal billions that he can dump into Houston Athletics.  Fertitta has directed that over $100 million of regular university funds to be transferred to the athletic progam. 

Jerry Jones is also a big Arkansas donor.

Looks like Texas is keeping Shaka so Beard won't be poached to UT.  I'm not sure if Arkansas is more attractive than TTU but Arkansas does have better cities to recruit from (Memphis,  STL, etc).

I think that the social media and vocal fan demands\outrage puts undue pressure on these ADs in the hiring process. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

Tilman is a multi billionaire. Owns the Rockets. Chairman of Landry's. 

But can't get a shot clock that works in his arena.   At least that's what some obnoxious fan was yelling at the SLU v UH game. 

AMDG-Unit and SLU_Lax like this

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This sets up some interesting in-state recruiting battles with Penny Hardaway.  Stackhouse's name will be well know in Memphis, domain of Penny.

Crickets on the Vanderbilt board after a week of optimism over a "home run" hire.  Not exactly a vote of confidence. At least if Stack was an alumnus he could energize the fanbase. This just looks like an AD hiring his buddy.

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This sets up some interesting in-state recruiting battles with Penny Hardaway.  Stackhouse's name will be well know in Memphis, domain of Penny.

Hmm! Alabama didn't keep Avery Johnson around too long so one can kind of understand why Vandy fans might not be doing cartwheels over this hire.