Coach Carousel

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whitesell was just like crews.   a rickma lacky willing to tell him how great he was at everything.  the classic yes man.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

whitesell was just like crews.   a rickma lacky willing to tell him how great he was at everything.  the classic yes man.

I remember whitesell being well liked by the players and doing some good work on the recruiting trail.  I thought he was a solid asst coach. 

Zink likes this

There is no graceful way to remove an iconic employee who refuses to leave. The AD was in no win situation here. In fact, that's probably why she got the job. She agreed to do an ugly but necessary thing no one else wanted to do.

You can't move on from Martelli by seriously entertaining the idea of hiring his greatest player to replace him.  Nelson isn't even qualified to be an assistant coach - he hasn't coached in any capacity.  Another example of a fanbase stuck in the past.

3 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Lange may not be the right guy for the job, but if Nelson is so petty about not getting the nod with no coaching experience that he's forcing his son to reopen his recruitment, St. Joe's may have dodged a bullet here.

It is very common for a players today to ask to be released when the coach they signed with leaves for whatever the reason.  I don't see anything off base here.

I would of liked to see Jameer hired as the head coach. Would have been interesting and if he surrounded himself with some experienced head coaches from some smaller programs I could see some success being had. It would definitely spark interest in the philly area having him come back and take over that program.  And I would imagine season ticket sales would see a spike. I could see him getting some pretty high level recruits and in the a10 you can win with athletes and better players. Not sure how it would of turned out but would have been a cool story line. They have a fiasco going on over there right now though. Was peeking at there board and it's a train wreck.

.@UHouston chairman of the Board of Regents @TilmanJFertitta on Kelvin Sampson: "Kelvin's done an unbelievable job..but if Kelvin doesn't want to be here there's nothing we can do about it. We put $18 million on the table over 6 years.I love Kelvin, would love for him to be here"

So, stay at UH or jump to Arkansas? 

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

Wow Buzz just left the building!

Didn't take long, did it.  I bet he kind of wishes we had beaten him last weekend. That would have given him another week recruiting/buying players.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, willie said:

I liked him and thought he did a good job. 

So did Rickma:

"He's the top assistant coach, that's definitive," Majerus said. "He's the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the special team guy, the sideline outs. Not to detract from (Jim) Crews or Tanner (Bronson), Jim has got total responsibilty for every aspect of the program. Others have aspects for specific parts."

On 3/29/2019 at 10:16 AM, moytoy12 said:

I remember whitesell being well liked by the players and doing some good work on the recruiting trail.  I thought he was a solid asst coach. 

I'd take him over Dead every day and twice on Sunday. 

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hoiberg to Nebraska 7/$25M, Done according to numerous sources, and Buzz to A&M for a Gazillion $, Done, according to Adam Zagoria.

You got to wonder if Buzz already had this deal baked.  Seemed to have come together pretty quick after losing.  I guess tampering is not a thing in college.

12 hours ago, cheeseman said:

You got to wonder if Buzz already had this deal baked.  Seemed to have come together pretty quick after losing.  I guess tampering is not a thing in college.

A&M has not made it a secret that Buzz is their top and only choice.

Buzz is good at timing. He previously turned down Oklahoma, SMU and a few others while at Marquette. He turned down Oklahoma St. and others while at Virginia Tech.  He had good teams and situations at the time on the rise. 

He will lose a lot of veteran players this off season.  He won two NCAA tourney games this year, his first NCAA wins while at Virginia Tech, in his 5th season there.  (He had won 8 NCAA games in his first 5 years at Marquette.)  Now is a pretty good time for him to leave for a good fit job.  His Marquette departure came after an unexpected down year. There was Final Four talk coming off of an elite 8 season. But when NCAA breakout star Vander Blue unexpectedly turned pro early, things fell apart that season for Buzz. He’s been able to get Virgina Tech to 3 NCAA’s in 5 years including a Sweet 16. For perspective, The Hokies had made the NCAA’s twice in previous 26 years.  Buzz wins quickly, sooner than many and can sustain it awhile. He hasn’t stuck around long enough when expectations get super high.  If he goes to A&M, he will likely turn them around and win quickly. And maybe by that time he will settle into long term elevated expectations.  If not he will still get other opportunities at that time. If he goes to A&M, I’d imagine Tony Benford and Isaac Chew would be getting calls to go with him. 

20 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

So did Rickma:

"He's the top assistant coach, that's definitive," Majerus said. "He's the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the special team guy, the sideline outs. Not to detract from (Jim) Crews or Tanner (Bronson), Jim has got total responsibilty for every aspect of the program. Others have aspects for specific parts."

Which is why RM recommended Crew (not Whitesell) for interim job...

On 3/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Nelson isn't even qualified to be an assistant coach - he hasn't coached in any capacity.  Another example of a fanbase stuck in the past.

Nelson is the Anthony Bonner of St Joe -  great player, no coaching experience and an apparent fan base who also cannot appreciate the difference. 

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Which is why RM recommended Crew (not Whitesell) for interim job...

Do we know for a fact that RM wanted Crews to take over or is this just something the AD did? I have always wondered why Crews - other than his previous head coaching experience which was never all that great why go over the Associate Head Coach?

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Do we know for a fact that RM wanted Crews to take over or is this just something the AD did? I have always wondered why Crews - other than his previous head coaching experience which was never all that great why go over the Associate Head Coach?

I think B'roy would argue Rick didn't want to name someone who might have eclipsed his legacy at SLU. Recall the guy who followed him at Utah failed big time. Not sure if he was Rick's AC at the time. But one flaw in Rick's coaching resume, other than Porter, he doesn't have much of a coaching tree. 

And really what big name coach does have a tree? Wooden had Crum but can't think of another guy that was uber successful. Coach K has Amaker and Wojo but it's not like they've set the world on fire. The Bennet's come to mind as a success tree, but Brad did little here. 

They call Miami of Ohio the cradle of coaches in college FB, but the only school that comes close in hoops is X. Now, they've produced winning HC's. 

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I think B'roy would argue Rick didn't want to name someone who might have eclipsed his legacy at SLU. Recall the guy who followed him at Utah failed big time. Not sure if he was Rick's AC at the time. But one flaw in Rick's coaching resume, other than Porter, he doesn't have much of a coaching tree. 

And really what big name coach does have a tree? Wooden had Crum but can't think of another guy that was uber successful. Coach K has Amaker and Wojo but it's not like they've set the world on fire. The Bennet's come to mind as a success tree, but Brad did little here. 

They call Miami of Ohio the cradle of coaches in college FB, but the only school that comes close in hoops is X. Now, they've produced winning HC's. 

I am pretty sure he was the AC.  I also didn't know RM personally well enough to know if he was that petty.